Ohio River 08/01/09

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by CatHunter24, Aug 2, 2009.

1. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Went out to the River last night with James (Jay Brooks), launched from Schmidt after meeting up and shootin the bull with Travis (TBull) and Matt(the one and only RiverKing). As usual, had some trouble with the outboard....even though we have rebuilt the entire fuel system....and by we I mean Travis. Finally headed to get bait, took forever. The river was cookin, with tons of debris, spent most of the night dodging redwood sequoas that the Little Miami had been dumping into the Ohio :smile2:. Finally, after having to run back to the ramp to get the camera we left, decided on a spot and anchored up. The River was on the rise, with the water temp being between 78-79 degrees. Caught a total of 6 fish, 4 blues, 1 flat, and a channel. The biggest fish being a 15 lb Blue and a 15 lb Flathead. Fought a lot harder in the current as James found out when he almost got a rod ripped into the water when taking it out of the holder :wink::smile2:. Missed about 4 other fish, one was a blue at the boat, snell knot came undone right before we netted him. All in all ended up being an okay trip after a lot of set backs. These are pics of the two biggest of the night.

Attached Files:

• 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      17 KB
      Views:
  2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like a great trip! Congrats....rollo

3. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    And the second fish

Attached Files:

• 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      17.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good report and nice fish. Question. Would you rather fish the ohio on the rise , when it is receding or at normal stage? For some reason the bite here always seem better when river is on the rise.

5. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Have limited experience as its my first season fishing the ohio with a boat. But, that being said, all my buddies get excited when its on the rise and it stacks the fish up in current breaks whereas they often are spread out as it slows down. We did well last week when the river was about like a lake though, drifting can be a great tool and way to fish so it may be my favorite if it produces results like that all the time. :big_smile:

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Curtis thanks for the post an update on the fishing. Very nice catch congrats an thanks for the pics!

7. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    curits congrats on the blue and james on the flattie :cool2::cool2:

8. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yeah, it's a little different than pulling them out of the GMR. There was no feeling for weight, he nailed it and ran with the current like a train. :smile2: Not to mention I'm not used to the lesser action poles at all!

Being new to a river moving like that it definitely kept me on my feet the whole time. Was a great time.

Lovin' my picture - the rain was gettin' the best of me! :smile2::smile2:

/ James

BTW: Gotta love sitting at work right now and the only thing you've done to clean up is wash your hands! Gotta love two hours of sleep! :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Nice fish, good job guys..:wink:

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Looks like some good fish, congrats on the catch and thanks for the report

11. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Good Job guys. Glad you made it home safe it was a rough one out there!!!

12. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Nice job guys. Congrats!

13. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the catches!!

14. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Yeah matt, to top it off when i loaded the lock on my trailer wench was busted so it would barely keep the wench from letting out the strap. Had to tow her home oh so carefully and every few miles go back and wench her up to the front again. definately interesting

15. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Get you a good safety chain installed on the boat. i had that happen before, I had to take a rachet strap off one side in the back and wench it down to the support arm.

I fished last night as well. I fished a few miles west of Cinci. Couldnt hardly fish where I wanted to you could walk across the river on the drift. We did manage one 6lbs. flathead & a 30 lbs. blue.

16. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Yeah i have a pretty good safety chain on the trailer....i just didn't want to rely on it. I am getting a new wench before the boat goes anywhere. The drift was rough and I know down that way towards Tanners when the river gets up and if they move barges there is a ton of drift. Congrats on the 30 lb blue and the catches in general though. :big_smile:

17. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    congrats on the fish guys

18. TheFlatheadWhisperer

TheFlatheadWhisperer New Member

State:
    ohio
    No matter how much crap that happens, just think you still caught fish.