Ohio R. Cabelas Tourny...low weight?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, Sep 17, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I was reading on here about the Cabelas tournament on the Ohio river and I noticed that it only took 76 pounds to win...:confused2:, is that a normal weight for this level of competition? Now I am not saying I could even get close to that number if I was fishing the tourny but I have met some of the guys that fished that day and they are very dedicated and experienced catfish anglers on the Ohio river fishing for a bunch of money and I just thought it was a low poundage for top prize. I guess the river is really keeping the fish to herself this year....

just my .02 cents

Bill

2. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    your rite ole buddy! not much weight to win! i was pretty confedent goin into the tournament, because i had won or placed in the money on several previous tournament in the area, and it was takin over 100lbs to win! my day stared out good, boating 2 fish before daylite! 25lb flathead and a 18lb blue! then the wind picked up, from mr ike! and my fish shut down! alot ppl struggled!
    after listening to different guys at the weigh-in i prolly could have changed my tactics. to get more bites, but i took a chance, and stuck with my drift, and didnt get another hit all day! i finished 9th place with my two fish!
    but as a fisherman you never stop learning, as your roamin around the wegh-in, listen carefully to the guys as they talk about there experiances of there day, and read between the lines. listen to everyone, including the guys that always comes back with low weights or empty handed but always claims he lost some big ones! (we all got em!) sometimes they will teach you stuff they didnt even know they were teachin!
    but on this day i deffenently learned a lesson! and school was in session!

we cant win them all!!!!:confused2:

3. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    It was TOUGH all day. My son and I placed 7th. We had a total of 56 pounds. We started off drifting to no avail. Against our better judgment, we started anchor fishing. That paid off. We actually got to cull one fish. I don't think there were many teams that culled fish.:eek:oooh: It was fun though.

4. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    nice job mr webb! thats a good finish, you were able to beat out ! 28 other good fisherman!

5. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    Thanks Steve. I think we saw you a couple of times. We were in the red sea ark. By the way, your akwa-lung kept the fish extremely fresh and lively!! I was very happy with its performance.:wink:

6. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    ouch! I dont think you should tell him his products is what helped you beat him in a fishing tournament!!!!:smile2: Kinda struck me as ironically funny....(doesnt take much these days)

Bill

7. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    i was in the 20 ft ranger bass boat with the akwalung and monster rod holder logo on the side of my boat ! but thanks glad it helped you and if you ever have problems or questions , please get a hold of me

8. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    my product didnt help him beat me ! it just kept is fish lively for the weigh-in and release! they was deffinently the better fishermen that day! i do ok and can hold my own! but i cant win them all!

webb....you cant miss that red sea ark! sweeet! i seen you guys down river in a deep hole fightin that wind ! i marked alot of fish in that hole but couldnt get them to hit my drift bait

9. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I fished the one earlier in the year where the classic is going to be in henderson kentucky and the winner caught 200# with 5 fish. Ive never did that well fishing, that is impressive.

10. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    I know that hole had to be holding some big fish. There was structure all over the place!! We caught one 7 pound flatty there. We couldn't get em to bite either. We went down river a few more miles and found the "spot of the day" in about 25 feet of water with a lot of structure.

11. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    Jason, I could be in left field here, but unless the water cools down substantially, I don't believe that anyone will be bringing in 200 lbs a day this time around. I am friends with the pair that weighed in the 190+ lbs back in the spring and their weights have gone down in the past few weeks.

12. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    The water temp here is at 76.6 as of last night. last week me and a buddy caught 5 fish for a total of 115-120#. The flatheads are starting to bite. I dont know you might be surprised.

13. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    The water temp here is at 76.6 as of last night. last week me and a buddy caught 5 fish for a total of 115-120#. The flatheads are starting to bite. I dont know you might be surprised.Caught a 42# flathead last night and a 10# flathead in three hours. Ive been fishing real deep for the blues around 45-50 feet and been doing pretty good. Not 200# though.

14. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i think you will see some really big fish in this tournament.... this is the time of year that the hogs are gonna start eating to fatten up for the winter!! :wink:

15. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Water is going to have to cool down !!!!!!!!

16. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i dnt know what the water temp was but 2 yrs ago i fished cabelas in henderson and it was 100 degrees outside all day. mid july i think so i know the water had to be hot. i thought it was to hot for anyone to be catchin big fish. I WAS WRONG!!!! big fish was 70+ pounds and he didnt get first. first place was audie hammond with weight of 155 thats awesome. i thjink if you find em you will catch em.

17. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    The event next week should show some good weights. I am driving up to see what gets pulled from the river on this one.

18. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    Look forward to seeing you there!