Ohio Outdoor News article about me and the Ohio River

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by RiverKing, Aug 10, 2006.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Well my artilce finally came out so I thought I'd post it for those of you that would like to read it, ao here it is:

Matt McKinney's evening of July 9th started off ordinary enough.
    He made the drive from his home in Yellow Springs, Ohio to Schmidt Ramp on the Ohio side of the Markland pool of the Ohio River as is his custom on the weekends.
    The catfish bite was good. McKinney had caught several respectable fish as the night wore along but decided to change spots nevertheless. He just couldn't resist; on a prior trip he'd located a flat in four feet of water that dropped of into 23 feet. That's about as good as it gets for big flatheads on the river.
    The instincts of this experienced Ohio River trophy catfish angler were well founded. Within a few minutes something big had taken his live bluegill. That something fought him for the best part of an hour.
    "As soon as I set the hook she headed for deep water," McKinney said. "There was no turning her. Everytime I gained 10 feet of line, she would pull off 30. I didn't even see her for over half an hour."
    When he finally did ger her in the boat, "she" turned out to be a massive flathead. The fish measured 54 inches and weighed 68 pounds. Those figures exceeded McKinney's previuos big fish, a 53 pound blue caught from the same pool, by 15 pounds.
    The river is a well-respected big flathead venue, and huge fish are relatively common. Still this was a good one even by river standards.
    To McKinney, however, she was a lot more than that. It was proof that what he has been telling his fellow catfish anglers for years is true: There's a new state record flathead swimming in the Ohio River waiting to be caught, measured, weighed, photographed and released.
    And, while his fish fell short of a new state record(76.5 pounds), she was encouraging. Mckinney has spent the last 3 years trying to catch that record fish. This one came close enough to keep his spirits and determination where it needs to be to meet such a goal.
    I think it (the record) can be broken. My fish (Ohio River flatheads) have been getting bigger and bigger the last 3 years or so. The river is the place to do it, I know that.
    Now, for those of readers who want all the details: McKinney was fishing with a Berkely Jim Moyer E-Cat No.4 heavy action rod; an ambassadour 7000 C3 reel; 30-pound test Big Game (Solar Green) line; and an 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hook. To this he added a 4-ounce egg sinker behind a 40-pound test Big Game leader.
    He was fishing from his refitted and customized 1979 Bomber Boat. It supports eight rod holders, black lights and two Humminbird fish finders. One of the depth finders is so old McKinney says it "looks like an old Atari videogame." All this is powered by an older 35-horsepower Evinrude outboard motor.
    McKinney should serve as an example to us all: Catching fish is about location, depth, presentation, and time spent on the water. It's not about spending thousands and thousands of dollars on fancy tackle and equipment. Obviously, he understands that principle. That's why he's as good a pick as anyone out there to break the record.

2. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Matt that was an outstanding article you should be very proud not only does it highlight your efforts but it brings catfishing to the forefront for readers who havent experienced the unmatched joy of hearing that drag squeal with a big flattie on the other end. Well done I dont have many rep points but you have earned what I can give ya

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Well now Matt don't that just put a smile on your face.:big_smile:

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks for sharing brother, glad you got it up on here.

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Congrats that is some good press and quite the fish, Get some pics up if you can. You definitely have to be proud of that one.

6. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Great article, Ed is a fine writer, make sure you keep plenty of copies for later in your life.............Doc

7. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great article Matt! Thanks for sharing with us!!

8. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Nice catch brother, with your determination im sure youll break the state record. Hope you took some pictures of the beast!!

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    That was a great article.Thanks for sharing!!!

10. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Thanks guys, Im glad that you liked the article

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    All I gotta do is get over the envy.

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well done Matt, great fish. You must have been very excited because you forgot to tell them about The greatest catfish site in the world...

Congrats, keep at it, Im sure you are correct and just maybe you will get that record.

13. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Congrats and good luck! I decided this summer to start targeting the big flatties. I know a spot where a big one sits. Just gotta get him to bite, but congratulations on the article. We'll have to drown some bait together sometime!

14. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Any time brother, i love fishing with new people, where at in Indiana do you live...I usually launch out of Arnolds creek in the winter, you close to there

15. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    very nice article Matt.

16. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Very nicely written! Glad you shared it with us!
    Bill