Ohio Noodling?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by samandryan, Jun 11, 2008.

1. samandryan

samandryan New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia,Ohio
    Has anyone tried or heard of trying to noodle catfish in ohio? Been reading about it and watching videos on youtube, but they all take place in the south. Seems to me if there are cats around, you should be able to catch them by hand. Am I missing something?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's illegal in ohio...And for a good reason...We dont have enough trophy cats to be jerking them out of the spawning spots!

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
  4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Very true Jack!!! Very true!!! 100% in agreement!!!!!:wink::big_smile:

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Is it Jack cause I just read the regulations and its not even mentioned which is strange.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I just sent the ODNR that question. I'll post it soon as I get the answer.:wink:

Welcome to the BOC also!!! Good to have you aboard!!! :)

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was told if it's not listed as a legal way to catch fish then it's illegal.

I certainly hope it's illegal?

8. Pillpeddler

Pillpeddler New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I personally wouldn't want to get INTO that river in the first place and anything large enough for "noodlin" I definitely wouldn't want to eat. The Ohio River is much cleaner than it was 15 or 20 years ago but it still is a far cry from what I consider clean enough to eat out of. My .02

Pill

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Im sure that someone could find a loophole for that i.e. if its not specificly listed.

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i thought it was illegal also.your right,sure someone could find a loop hole

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Here is a quote I got back from the ODNR:

Hope this helps out some.:wink::big_smile:

If you want, PM me your e-mail addy and I can forward it to you.
    Thanks,
    John

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Catfish John gave what appears to be the definitive answer.

As a general rule most states have a "permissive" regulation system for fish and wildlife management, where if something is not specifically allowed by the regulation, it is illegal. This way they don't have to try and address every possibility... in this case every harvest method that can be imagined.

In other words, if it's not listed as "legal"then it is not. Im not 100% sure that this is true in Ohio, but it's a pretty good probability that it is.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well I am certainly glad to find out that noodling is illegal in ohio!!!!!

14. samandryan

samandryan New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia,Ohio
    I appreciate everyone's input on this. It certainly makes sense to leave them alone on their nests. Anything that negitivly impacts the population is definitly detramental, no matter how much fun it sounds! Maybe a trip south is in order.:big_smile:

15. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Say what they may about the legality of it, and I dont noodle but if it isnt listed how are we supposed to know? I know that if I were to get ticketed for it I would fight it since all I would have available would be the general regs that you get when you get your license. John PM the email addy I want to put a bug up thier butt :smile2:

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I had your e-mail addy and sent you the E-mail. That was earlier, you should have got it a while ago, unless you have a different Email addy now.:wink::big_smile:

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    so you can take bass by hand???? is that what they are saying? thats weird.:tounge_out:

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    what about bowfin?:smile2: rollo

19. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    go right ahead there rollo, just dont complain when you are missing a few fingers :wink:

20. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Back in the days when it was legal ... I have known quite a few "Old Snake Hunters" that noodled for catfish and for turtles .... One thing most of them had in common was the loss of the tips of one or more of their fingers. They really never knew if they were going to find a turtle, muskrat, a snake or a catfish when they reached up under the bank. Sometimes the results were very painful.

By listing only the legal way of catching fish it is supposed to make things easier to understand and it is assumed by law if there is a section that lists what is legal and your question isn't listed ... it is illegal .... That is the way we were taught to enforce the regs ....... :eek:oooh: Garry-