Ohio Legal-Large Bait Trap

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by D_Weezy, Mar 24, 2008.

1. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I have building traps, to catch large bait for about 22 years. I build them out of 1/2"x1" galvanized fence. I made the first one to catch creek chubs, for catfishing. These traps are legal by Ohio standards. The traps that I could buy in stores, were not big enough to catch the large chubs that I wanted. I decided to build my own, and make them to the full legal size of Ohio laws. They measure 12"x12"x24" with a 1" opening. They can catch large creek chubs, suckers, large shiners and many other bait-fish. They can be made with one or two doors. One door is made to swing open, so that you can empty out your bait. The main door is kept closed with a minnow trap clip. They have a holder in the center, for your bread (bait). It is loaded from the top of the trap and the bait door is held closed by a spring. Small bait can swim in and out of the sides of the trap. They can feed on the bread, without being caught. This helps to attract the larger bait-fish. I included some photos with this post, in-case someone would like to build one. I just thought I would share this with everyone. They work great.

D_Weezy

Attached Files:

2. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Here are more photos.

Attached Files:

3. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    And some more photos.

Attached Files:

4. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I wish I could have just put them all on the same post :big_smile:. These are the last two. If you have any questions, just ask.

Attached Files:

5. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Wow those things look great! Nice setup you made there. Thanks for sharing it with us.

6. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Dave, that is a nice looking trap. However, I need help on two things...

(1) It looks to me that the funnel opening into the trap is a bunch of loose single strands of the fence wire that are not tied together making the funnel. What am I missing?

(2) I don't understand just how the catch on the main door works. Does it latch or what?

Thanks,

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That is very nice work, but I'm with Bill on this. If the funnel is loose, whats to stop a big bait from stretching it out making it illegal?

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nice looking bait trap thank you for shaing the pictures with us

9. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    OK, to build the funnels, you make a box 3" square and 3" long. Attach clips to the open edge of the box to close it. Attach the box to the 3"x3" opening that you cut in the door. Now, clip out all of the 1/2" strands on the box/funnel. This will leave the box attached to the door, but the strands will be loose. Press the strands in-wards, this will make the funnel. The bait can slip through these fingers, but they are stiff and will hold the shape that you give them. Just make sure, that you squeeze them down to 1". I have caught a lot of bait in the 22 or so years, that I have been building these. They do have a little spring to them, but I have never had a problem with the doors being stretched open. They are always still 1" when I check them. In photo #6 you can see the piece of wire, that I formed to hold the door shut. You push the door shut, and slip this wire up through the top. This leaves the wire catch sticking up, so that you can latch it shut with a minnow trap clip. I bought a bunch of these clips from Catfish Connection. I will post a picture of this later, so that you can see what I mean. Thanks for the interest. If you have anymore questions, please ask.

10. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Here are some photos of the minnow trap clip. You can see how it holds the door shut. This trap is pretty old, with a lot of surface rust, but it is still solid. I guess I could paint it.

Attached Files:

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is one mighty fine piece of work. I did not expect something that looked so professional Great Job.