ohio laws

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by rasmotherman, Nov 17, 2009.

1. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    what is ohios law on boat lights? can i put a light bar on the boat? i want 2 fog lights mounted foreward but dont know if it is legal. i finally sold off all the hunting supplies and can get the boat in the garage to start the tear down. any info would be appreciated. thanks guys

2. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ohio Law is your secondary concern. You MUST comply with Coast Guard Law first and foremost. Usually Law of a given State will follow along these lines.
    What you want to do will be an "accessory" in addition to what these laws require. I'm sure many boat owners have devised some very intricate set-ups to enhance their purposes. Whatever you design for your boat will probably be fine as long as you remember to use it with care and respect for other sportsmen. Enjoy your project

3. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    YES U CAN MOUNT LIGHTS ON THE FRONT....

4. goldfish33

goldfish33 New Member

State:
    ohio cincy area
    Ohio Boating Laws

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/watercraft/opsguide/navlites/tabid/2748/Default.aspx
    Ohio boating laws are enforceable on all waters of the state including private waterways

The Ohio River is considered to be "federal waters" and boaters need to comply with all U.S. Coast Guard requirements. When operating on the river bound by Ohio and Kentucky, all Ohio AND Kentucky laws are in effect.

i am not a lawyer but i think ohio watercraft laws are totally enforcable on any water inland and any federal water ---great lakes or ohio river ---falls under the coast guard.

as far as fog lights/headlights being used as running lights while under power, i think that is illegal.that would defeat the purpose of the red green light.i have seen the cincinnati water patrol ticket a boat running with headlights mounted on the front.

if unsure contact the ohio watercraft or the coast guard.

5. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    thanks, i have all my required lights. i was just wondering about some help getting to the dock at night. i guess i could just stick with the old spotlight