Ohio Hall of fame challenge?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by s_man, Feb 24, 2007.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I just went through the records and when I came to the Blue cat section I see penndog66 holding what looks to me like a flathead instead of a blue. It has a straight mouth ( not rounded like a blue or channel), and it is clearly mottled not a single shade like a blue. If it is a flathead in that pick it can't be more than 20 pounds, He can't even get all his fingers in its mouth. I know for a fact if that fish were 31 lbs there would be plenty of room lol. What gives? Did he put in the wrong pic? Is that really a 31 pound blue in your opinion? You look at the guys above and below him. One is a 36lb and the other is a 30 lb blue they look different from his. I want you all to weigh in on this but I think it is a flathead and should be taken off the Blue cat board and second place given to Boss Hogg. Penndog66 is that the picture you wanted put up as your 31 pound blue?

2. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    indeed,that is a flathead

3. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Top views of cast can be confusing. In my member photos, I have a pic of a 10lb channel that some members tried to tell me is a flathead. That pic is also a top view pic.
    I really don't think it is a flathead. It's head does look a little knotted, kinda like a spawning male channel. And for the mottling, the flash of a camera on a wet fish will sometime give that impression.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Josh, just look at the fish in your avatar and compare it with penndogs fish. You are holding a 30lb fish, but even more, you have the same profile as his. Look at the mouth of your fish compared to his, they are the same. They are straight and they both have the classic flathead head lol. I can't believe that you really think that is a Blue cat. Like I said I may be wrong and I want some opinions so thanks. Just take another look. PLEASE lol

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Can anyone put this thread up as a poll? If more folks think this is a blue I'll drop mr protest, but on the other hand if more people agree with me I think second place should go th Boss Hogg. Anyone help me out here and post me a poll?

6. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I must agree, the head does look more like a flathead. Good catch Skip!

7. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I have to disagree, it looks nothing like a flathead to me...You cant see its fins, but it does have the coloring of a blue..I have never seen a silverish/blueish channel..Thats a bluecat

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    skip, i cant tell from the picture for sure. if it was a flat, of 31#s, it would have a wider mouth than that.

i do think that when it comes to blues and channels it needs to be a side photo showing the anal fin. heck he could have entered it as a monster channel if he wanted to, not? that is what i thought when i first looked at it! i would give him the benefite of the dought bud.

9. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    The fish doesn't have the underbite of a flathead. I'm going to say it's a blue or a channel. My biggest flattie of 30lbs did have a much bigger mouth than that fish.

10. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I think the pic is wrong. Not postive about the fish being a flat or a blue, but he is dressed awlful heavy for August 21st. Might have just put up the wrong picture!

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Regardless of what we may think lets let Penndog66 chime in here before this gets into a spittin contest! :smile2:
    I would hate to be derided for an honest mistake as I'm sure you would too.:sad2:

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Not sure either way but its a nice fish! I didn't think OH had blues except for the OH river and pay ponds.:roll_eyes:
    But I've been wrong many,many times before!

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I agree, I asked in my last post if this was indeed the fish he wanted to enter. I know how hard it is to get jpeg files straight once on a list. Penndogg66, if you have entered the wrong picture, please feel free to re-enter your 31 pound blue. I would love to see it.

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I'm not trying to get a heated debate going. I do think that Penndogg66 submited the wrong photo. I don't care what species you think that fish is , it comes no where close to 31 pounds. The fish in the photo is of a 20 to 25 pound flathead. I have spent some time on the river and I've never had to dress that warm in August. It looks like a prespawn photo to me. Early to mid may.

15. MRFLATHEAD

MRFLATHEAD Guest

hey guys i have to say its got to be a big channel cat. its not a flathead thats for sure. and i dont think you are gonna get a blue from a farm pond in ohio. to me its a very nice channel cat. if its a blue he must have been fishing a pay lake your not gonna to catch a bluecat from a farm pond in ohio doesnt look 31# either

16. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    I agree with Jim looks like a pre spawn channel-cat with a swollen head and looks to be between 16 to 18 lbs

17. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    That's kinda what I said too. Only problem with estimating a blue or channels weight from a top view is you can't see the belly. I've seen a lot of top view pics of blues and channels that did them no justice.

18. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    looks to be a post-spawn anorexic channel to me:roll_eyes: whatever it is it needs to get off that anna-nicole diet program

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    O.K. I guess I'm wrong, I coulda swore it was a flathead, but thats why I asked you guys. Thanks for all the replies.

20. Memphis

Memphis New Member

State:
    Ohio
    DEF not a flathead, hard to tell a blue or a channel from a top shot like that, i do know there are no blue cats in farm ponds in ohio uless its a paylake, there so rare in ohio there on the endangered species list here, and your not even allowed to submit one for a state record, because officals know any large blue from ohio is a pay-laker:roll_eyes: