Ohio guy goin to point pleasant for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by joadb, Mar 15, 2007.

1. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    My daughter and i are planning a trip this spring to point pleasant to fish for flatheads and check out the mothman statue(you guys are probably sick of hearin about the mothman).Where would be the best place to set up at.Ive heard there is a tributary river nearbye that is a good spot.We are going to be traveling from akron oh(over 150 miles)so i would appreciate any advice to maximize our time.Thanks alot!

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Right at the Point is the mouth of the Kanwaha River.
    Never fished that far up, but a few miles down-stream Crab Creek can be a fair place. Doesn't look like much from the River but a little ways in it opens into a little pool that often teams with bait fish. Have caught a few 10+ there.
    And of course you have the RCB Locks and Dam Just down the River. I like the Ohio side but have done well on the WV side.

3. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    YOU CAN SEE THE BRIDGE FROM THE MOTHMAN IT CROSSES AT THE MOUTH OF THE KANAWA AND OHIO I HERE ANY WHERE IN THERE IS GOOD FISHING.

4. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    thanks for the info guys-can i fish the west virginia side with an ohio fishing license?Ive heard i can fish it and the tributarys up to the first dam on the tributary!

5. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    yes but no backwaters.

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Ohio residents who carry fishing licenses valid in Ohio may fish on the Ohio River and its embayments or from the West Virginia banks of the Ohio River and embayments without obtaining West Virginia licenses.

West Virginia residents who carry fishing licenses valid in West Virginia may fish on Ohio River embayments in Ohio or from the Ohio banks of the Ohio River and embayments without obtaining an Ohio license.

Current West Virginia fishing laws shall apply while fishing on the Ohio River proper or from West Virginia banks or in West Virginia embayments. The tributaries of the Ohio River above embayments, in both states, are not included as part of this agreement .

Current Ohio fishing laws apply while fishing from Ohio banks or in Ohio embayments.

Ohio fishing laws and Ohio River fishing regulations for the Eastern Unit, which cover the West Virginia / Ohio border, must be followed while fishing on embayments or tributaries that are within the boundaries of Ohio .

The embayment and tributary reciprocal boundaries for each state are listed in the Waterfowl Hunting and Fishing on the Ohio River brochure available from West Virginia DNR offices, and online at www.wvdnr.gov. Ohio and West Virginia anglers may travel and fish embayments and tributaries to the landmark locations listed in the brochure. These locations are also defined by distance from the mouth of the tributary and GPS coordinates for convenience."