Ohio Catfish Tales !

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Desode, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well I imagine I'm not the only one that does this but before I go cattin , I come to this website first. One of the reasons is to see what kind of info I can find on where I'm going, and the other reason is to catch the energy of fellow fishermen. To put it bluntly , I get pumped up like a football player before a game ! I love reading a great catfish tale before I go out to my favorite spot. In the spirit of this I thought I would start a thread where people could post there tales of war. I hope to hear some great stories from all of you.
    I'll kick it off. Now I love all catfish but for me when it comes down to shear spit and grit, a big old Flathead has got it going on !
    The biggest one I caught was 37.5 pds, 3 yrs ago on Salt fork lake. I was on a pontoon and we had found this nice point where the bass where bitting so we put down a anchor to use up our last shiners . I had also been cattin in some deep spots and I was down to one last big chub. I tossed him out, and was just about to doze off because it was 3 or 4 in the morning, when suddenly my pole went flying out of my hands and went clear to the other end of the pontoon. Lucky for me it caught on the railing just long enough for me to get to it. That monster was something else , he did 5 HUGE runs that had my reel smoking clear down to the tie on the spool ! After surfacing the first time he did this HUGE run and we had to put down a second anchor because he was dragging the pontoon off the point !!
    With a big old Flathead, there comes this point in the battle where you start to wonder if your going to land him or not. Its like the sound of the drag on your reel screaming in pain kind of stops time, and you find yourself wondering if your gear is going to hold up. By the time I landed him 38minutes later, I could not believe the amount of respect I had for that fish. Maybe it was because I had just got done beating bone cancer(Thank God) and I knew what its like to just never give up , but man that old monster just didn't want to come next to that boat ! When all was done, I couldn't believe I was actually sore and I truly felt like I was deep sea fishing on a ohio lake. It was a experience I will carry with me forever. My friends wanted me to keep him but, I wasn't hearing any part of it, as I put his tired old soul back into the lake and sent him on his way with a whole lot of thanks behind him. That was it right there , I had always liked fishin for cats but he had sealed my fate and I have been chasing Big Flatheads ever since that night. Matt AKA DESODE

2. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i don't have time for a fish tale right now (i'm at work :wink:) but i just wanted to let you know you got some writing skills bro!

3. KatfishKyle

KatfishKyle New Member

State:
    Wayne Co. Ohio
    Great story Matt! Thanks for sharing.

4. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    great story thanks for sharing

5. joeceeeee

joeceeeee New Member

State:
    ohio
    That was a truly awesome tale............. thanks for sharing.:wink:

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great fish tale. Congrats on the catch

7. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    thanks for the story. congrats on the monster flathead and congrats on beating cancer!

8. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Last summer I went to the creek and did a little cast netting for some bait for an all night cat trip to a local lake. I did pretty good and had some decent bait, some mullet, creek chubs, shiners and suckers one that was 12" long. So me and my buddy get to the lake and get set up. I grab my one Big Game 9000 spooled with 40lbs Ande line and grab up he 12" sucker. My buddy gives a laugh because what a splash it made when it hit the water, you'll never catch nothing with that big a bait he says. If something hits that rod look out I tell him. All night I keep getting hits on the other pole. All of the sudden the clicker on the 9000 starts to go. Its going out slowly so I get up and get ready. Then it stops, I go to sit back down and it starts up again. Not ripping but just steady. I pick up the rod a set the Mustad #8...I feel a slight tug and start reeling. I land a 16" Flathead with just the tail of my big sucker hanging out of his mouth! He was not even hooked, I pulled out the sucker and it was still alive and kicking so I released the Flathead and cast the big sucker back out. I never did get another bite on it.:sad2:

9. bigjim44

bigjim44 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    What a great story Matt. I'm sure you'll never let that memory fade.
    I would like to share an experience I had about 8 years ago on my biggest flattie caught. I was fishing at a pay lake to win some money to be able to fly my daughter out to see me in Indiana. I had already caught enough fish to win the poundage contest, but the I had lost a 29lb. blue earlier that weekend. How do I know it was a 29 lb. blue you ask? Well it pulled my pole in the water and the guy that caught it had my hook and line to prove it. :confused2: So I wasn't feeling too good about the big fish contest, as it ends Sunday at 5:00pm. Well Sunday at about 2:00pm I'm sitting there fishing for the little hatchery cats, not doing any good. My wife looks over and says not much action here, I said did you try here.....and cast out about 20 ft. And, no kidding, in the time it took to hit the bottom, it takes my line out and I jerk. "FISH ON" I yell. Well it took about 10 seconds for that flathead to know that he didn't like being hooked, but when he did I knew he was big. I told my wife to ask someone to net the fish for me because I said it was a big one. You know what she says to me..."thay all feel big on that pole". :crazy: She was right as I had a lightweight rig with 8 lb. test on. Anyway, I fought that dude for 45 min. and finally got him to the bank. Got him to the scale and he topped out at 48lb. :eek:oooh: Needless to say everyone took a look at him and went home. I made a total of $297.00. Enough to get my daughter home. Just when you think you're done, something like that happens. This is where "one last cast" comes from. :wink:That is one memory I'll never forget.

10. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey I just wanted to thank you guys for the compliments on my Tale. I also want to send a big thanks out to Beetle and Bigjim44 for the two great stories !, I'm pumped up for hittin the river tonight !
    Matt, AKA Desode

11. fuman80

fuman80 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    bigjim reminded me of a time last year. i had been out fishin for several hours in a lake by my house, using night crawlers mostly, but on one rod i had a bluegill i caught earlier. i didnt think id catch anything on it. honestly, i didnt know if there was anything big enough in the lake, tho i had heard rumors. well after not catching anythingi started packing up. the last rod i went to reel in was the bluegill, and as soon as i reached to grab it, somethin had that rod almost making a halfcircle. well after a short fight. i had landed myself a personel best of a 15# channel. not exaclty huge, but its a good size fish. the lesson here is you can always wait that one extra minute when your fishing:wink:

12. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Thanks for sharing a great story! Been trying to catch up with all these threads an kinda late in posting on this. Again thanks,,,

13. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    HERE IS A STORY TO THINK ABOUT. IN 1992 A FRIEND AND I WERE FISHING A TOLEDO LOCAL LAKE FOR CHANNELS FROM MY INFLATABLE DINGY. ROWING BACK TO THE CAR WE NOTICED THIS LOG FLOATING NEXT TO THE BANK. IT WAS JUST GETTING DARK AND WE THOUGHT OUR EYES WERE PLAYING TRICKS ON US BECAUSE THE LOG LOOKED LIKE A CATFISH. NOT BELIEVING IT WAS A FISH WE TURNED AND WENT IN TO CHECK IT OUT. WE WERE ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED! IT WAS A HUGE DEAD CHANNEL CAT. WE DRAGGED IT ALONG THE BOAT UNTIL WE GOT TO SHORE. WE HAD NO WAY TO MEASURE IT AND NO SCALE FOR THE WEIGHT BUT, HAVING FELT FLATHEADS THAT SIZE I WOULD SAY A CONSERVATIVE 30LBS. IT'S STOMACH HAD BEEN CHEWED UP MAYBE BY TURTLES SO FOR ALL I KNOW IT COULD OF BEEN AT STATE RECORD SIZE. NEITHER OF US WILL EVER FORGET THIS. THIS FISH WAS SWIMMING IN A NUMBERS LAKE NOT KNOWN FOR PUTTING OUT TROPHYS

14. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    well this year was the first year that my son has shown intrest in catfishing, hes already the professional bait fisherman and he asked me a few weeks ago to set him up a cat rod n reel, so i did and we head out to the lake, he caught us bait as usual, so i baited up his pole, we sat and had a great evening, well later on that night, he was running around playing with the a friend of his of the couple that came with us, when i heard his clicker starting to run and my son wasnt anywhere around, so i yelled for him and since he was about 50 yds away and the clicker started screaming i reached down and gave the rod a slight fast tug, then sat it back down and waited for him to make it, he picked up the rod hammered back and started reeling in this 10 lbs. channel, it was so funnies cause he was reeling so fast that he would slip his hand off the reel and then try to catch up again, he ended up getting the fish in and instantly wanted to know the weight and wanted a picture, i wish my phone camera was better but alas is sucks lmfao but i still have a great memory and the look on my sons face and his enjoyment made my night all that much better, now every weekend its lets go to the lake and catch a big one and im not far behind him on getting ready to head out...

The joy of children fishing is more than enough for me watching my son fish even if i dont catch anything at all, just the sight of seeing my son so anxious to catch a big one is enough for me. soon ill get him onto some flats...

15. bettadaze

bettadaze New Member

State:
    Burlington,NC
    I have to share this one, one night while fishing at my company's private ponds, my then 12 year old son had his Wal-mart bass rod, with 12 pound line, rigged up his slip bobber with glow stick. Baited up a blue gill and tossed it out. Which was taken by one of the many flatheads that inhabit that pond. Well the pole bent over and the screams of "I got one" rang out through the warm night air. But then the snap of the 12 # couldn't handle that brute of a flathead. Determined he quickly striped off the 12# and replaced it with some 25# big game line, another slip bobber and the last blue gill in the bait bucket. He cast it out in the same place and sat down with pole in hand. About 10 min later again I heard "I got one!" and he's standing there with rod bent in a circle. I take the rod from him thinking he had a snag. Well the line start moving across the pond. I handed him the pole back he started reeling and line started ripping off the drag. He would reel in and the fish would take it back out. After 30 minutes we got it on shore. And that's the fish in the photo. I haven't ever told him, you won't catch nothing with that again.:wink:

16. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Wow Matt...That story has me pumped to land a big flathead like that! I'm workin' on it! And congrats on beating cancer. Now those freshwater freight trains are cowering in fear when they know you're near,man!
    Garrett