ohio blues???

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ohio catfisherman, Mar 17, 2008.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    in what body of water besides the ohio river is there any blue catfish ive heard that the stock them in some ohio lakes the lakes i keep hearing they stock them in is alum creek and indian lake if some one can answer this post id really appreciate it

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Odnr has never stocked blues according to them anywhere in Ohio. If they are anywhere else, they either got there by other means or are mistakenly identified channel cats.

3. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    There are blues in C.J. Brown. I've caught em and I know the difference. If any of ya now "Doc" (Mr. Tim Lange) he'll atest to it as well.

I too ask the DNR about inland lake stocking of blues and they told me the same, never!

"Big Eli"

4. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    the only place they will stock blue will be the ohio river if any place

5. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Here in southwest ohio Hamilton County park district stocks blues in miami whitewater,they may also stock them in Isabella but im not positive.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have never heard of DNR stocking blues in ohio, but I do know some people who have taken the "liberty" to stocking some of the local waters:

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    hey rossman thank you for telling me that it will worth drive down there for that rick

8. mashunter18

mashunter18 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sure some do get caught every once in a while in waters they are not known to frequent.

Odnr told another guy on ohio game fish they stocked blues in Alum creek years ago, here is what he was told

Alum Creek -
    September 16, 1975: 36,800 bluecatfish fingerlings
    October 13, 1977: 12, 222 bluecatfish fingerlings

Post link for reference
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=50487&page=2&highlight=blue+catfish+alum

Probually all gone now.

What defenitely isnt true is when folks say things like " went to hoover tonight caught 4 channels and 2 blues"
    In these central ohio resorvours, I dont buy they are caught that regularely.
    Wish there were more around central ohio

9. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    ODNR has been discussing a blue stocking program, but as far as I know, that's as far as it's gotten.

10. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Maybe Im just tired , But what would be the point of stocking a large flowing river with any fish ? Yet alone the ohio

11. ittybittykitty

ittybittykitty New Member

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    Reasons to stock a river: 1.) The adults are being harvested before they can spawn. 2.) Spawning habitat has been destroyed. (Usually by Dams or dredging) 4.) Fish spawn but the young don't have the habitat they need to grow up (same dams or dredgilng) 4.) Politics. Placating voters.

12. coble9

coble9 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm not knocking them stocking, but it is just a bandaid. Maybe they could improve the spawning habitat or the habitat for the young. I don't want them to stop fishing but if there are too many harvested before spawning, put a more strict length and catch limit. I want my kids and their kids to be able to hunt and fish as I have and as my dad and grandparents have. They don't stock deer when man kills to many off through hunting and agricultural causes, so why are fish diferent.

Why are we stocking 80,000 rainbow trout when they all die off because of the heat and being caught. Plus they stock muskie and they are not and have not been natural in ohio since before 1950. I know the desire to catch these fish and the part they provide in the food shain, but it isn't adressing the problem. HABITAT

Maybe if they spent the money they spend on stocking on habitat restoration, then in a decade or two the problem would be solved. They do it with crp land, how bout they do something for fisherman to.