Ohio Blue Catmen

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Feb 7, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey all you Ohio River blue guys, im calling on your expertise and knowledge to help me out on my trip to the James River next month. I have never caught a blue nor fished for them. I know the James is a different system then the Ohio, but I know there has to be some pointers, advice to help me out. I have been reading up on them for a while now, but that doesn't nessesarily mean im gonna put fish in the boat! So send me some advice or your help either in a post or pm. if you wish!!!! thanks brothers, rollo

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Rollo are you going on a guided trip?? Well I can give some basics that have always helped me out, first and formost, look for the baitfish. Its very rare that I get into a big school of blues without baitfish in the area. I have found them to be similar to flatheads in the rivers. Sometimes the deeper holes that have some structure to break the current a bit are a good spot for them to hold up, which is funny because flatheads to the same during the warmer months as you already know. I am by no means an expert on blues, and its kind of like directions. If you put me on the road, I know how to get there, but telling someone street names and what not just ain't gonna happen...LOL:smile2:..A good rule of thumb is that if you get into 1 blue, chances are there are more behind it. Again very rare, for me atleast, to catch just 1 blue and nothing, if that happens it may be time to move on, change baits...(size, type, etc..). Constantly working the fish to find out what they are taking. Sometimes they want the moving bait, sometimes not, again just like Flatheads in a way. I personally dont stay on fish for to long if they aren' t interested, 30 to 40 minutes is usually my cut off point. Then again you could pull anchor and move 20 yards and be on fish. You know how to fish man, and its not to much different in my mind that catching flatheads. The best advice I can give is not to get hung up on one method, keep trying different things until you find what works, and when it stops working, try something else. I have always taken advice from lots of different people which is what is so great about this site, the more ways you know how to pursue these fish, the better off you will be. Man I am jealous I wish I could go to the James for sure. Good luck man, if you need anything else just let me know.:wink:

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I can't help you out Rollo but I can wish you all the luck in the world on getting some big blues!!!:wink::big_smile:

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    No real help from me either that you don't already know. Have fun and bring back some pictures.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    no im not taking the guide. loanwizard, s-man, an tspergin are.. Im going to go and try to wing it myself. who knows? lol.... thanks for the advice..rollo

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man Rollo wish you would have told me that a while back I could have tagged along...you know.. to keep you safe and stuff...:big_smile::smile2::wink:

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have had plans to take my boss and his boy for a while now. shawn and them just decided to join lately. we are gonna try to stay in the same hotel, and hopefully b/s in the evenings some over dinner though! rollo

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Whereabouts are you guys staying? I was stationed in Norfolk for 3 years...Just curious.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to be a Blue fisherman, but not since I got my 38# shovelhead last year! lol Now I'm happy as can be.:big_smile:
    Rollo,The only way I can see you being successful is if you follow the guide boat that Shawn, Tony and Otto are hiring. Good luck brother, and be sure to use the same bait.:wink:

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    chester va. is the town were staying...rollo

11. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    hmmm ok, not sure I know where that is, but I could have swore the James was close to Norfolk..

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im not following anyone. them guys are putting the money out, and we chose not to for certain reasons. i understand they are gonna wax my a$$ jack! LOL.. but, if i can figure out something, and catch a few fish, i will be happy with that...rollo

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jason, not to worry. Just ask your uncle DH, he will tell you how to find them............:cool2:

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i hope someone will tell me something, that looks like a pretty big river!!:eek:oooh::tounge_out: rollo

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Cant help much here, but I would try to catch you some river eels for bait to add to your arsenal and up your odds. Also the James is a tidal river which could play a big factor where and when to fish. Best bet would be to chat with the locals there. Good luck.

16. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Although I have never fished the James River I am going to assume that the St Johns is similiar, considering they are big Rivers with a tidal influence. After fishing tidal influenced rivers for over 25 years I have made these general observations that might be of some help to you.

Look for drop-offs ... position your boat where you can cast into the deeper water and work the bait back to the shallow water ... if you are fishing a straight stretch of the river look for trough. I cast out at a 45 degree angle and let the currant bring the bait back to center .... cover much more ground that way .... I used 2 to 3 oz sinkers fishing tightline with about 18 inch leader.

The fish seem to bite best on an outgoing tide ... I always tried to get positioned and set on dead high tide .... the first 2 hours of outgoing tide was most productive .... if you are forced to fish (and you will be if you fish all day .. tide runs are about six hours) in-coming tides ... fish the opposite end of the holes ...... Have found that some areas are really productive during in-coming tide and others on out-going tides.

About 50% of the time the blues I have caught while using live bait .... they want to kill the bait before swallowing it ... you will get very short runs and then stop and might be several minutes before they will take it again ... cut bait works as well as live bait and shrimp and croakers are both excellent baits. I have also caught many blues fishing for Channels on night crawlers.

Another observation I have made is that if you are in an area that is holding a several good blues ... that early morning you will see them rolling on the surface. this usually was in an area where you had flats in the area to 8 to 10 feet dropping off into troughs or holes of 20 or more feet.

I have caught them all day long .... but be sure and watch you tides and the directions of the running tide.

If you are drift fishing ... I have no idea other than to follow the above areas.

Don't know if this will help .... but can only hope ......

Garry-

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like a bunch of great information to me. thanks garry, i hope you don't have these flatheads figured out that much around here! lol... you are liable to whip up on all the boys in the photo contest!!!!!:wink: thanks again,,,rollo

18. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Well if I am lucky enough to figure them out ... I will share technique .... just not location ......:smile2::smile2::angry::confused2::sad2::wink::eek:oooh:

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I think you need a new boss. Or you gotta Teach him how to drive your boat then spend a day with us. LOL
    I'm not gonna go all the way down there and not see you catch a fish.

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've been shut out before brother! lol...maybe i will get lucky:tounge_out: rollo