Ohio blue catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishbrett, May 17, 2008.

1. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    Having catfished my area of the Ohio River for years ( Northeast).I have spent countless nights catfishing,talking with other catfishermen and fishing tournys.Every so often i come across guys who seem to catch "BLUE'S".I have never once caught a Blue out of the river,the Ohio division of wildlife claim they are not nor ever stocked in any public river,lake or water source in ohio.i know that paylakes buy and stock the blues.I feel that the guys fishing my area of the river just dont know that channels change color depending on the water temt or the area they were caught from. So i'm asking all of you are there blue's this far north?

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    There are blues in the Ohio river,West Virginia has even been stocking them every year for a few years now

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Bret ... I checked out "Trautman's Fishes of Ohio" book to see what he said about Blues in your part of the Ohio River. ( Milton Trautman is considered to be the main authority on fish in Ohio) He says there have been reliable verbal reports of Blues around both Marietta and Steubenville.

Like you, I have been told by the Ohio Division of Wildlife that no Blues have been stocked in Ohio Waters .... BUT >>> Trautman states and I will quote ....

In 1975 the Ohio Division of Wildlife introduced the blue catfish into Buckeye and Indian Lakes. It is hoped that these introductions are as successful as were the introductions of the channel catfish more than half a century previously.

From all that I can tell, neither of these stockings took too well, but the ocassional report of a blue coming from one of these waters certainly is not out of the question.

As well, it should be noted that with the stocking programs that West Virginia and Kentucky have/had of blues in the Ohio River could very easily mean there are blues in the river in your area. Like you my opinion would be that some of the blue reports are probably large blueheaded male channel cats.

Garry- :cool2:

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Plenty of Blues in that part of the OHIO! They are migrating in a natural pattern from south to north and inevitably East up the Ohio. Get out there and catch yourself one!

5. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    West Virginia DNR

Blue Catfish:
    • Blue catfish restoration will be focused on the Ohio River reach inclusive and downstream of the Belleville Pool. A maximum of 26,800 individuals will be stocked annually.
    • A single hatchery pond will be dedicated to this effort annually.

6. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    at Williamstown, WV. Right across the river from Marietta Ohio. This pool (Bellville Pool) of the River is 43 miles long. It begins at Bellville locks & dam and ends 43 miles upriver at the Willow Island locks & dam. I have lived here since Dec. 1971. and have fished that old river ever since. Now having said all that, all I can tell you is that I, nor anyone that I know of, have ever caught a Blue Cat on this pool of the river. But I WON'T say that they aren't here. This is the first pool upriver from where they have been stocked. So, it's highly possible they have come upriver?? I also think that one of the most common mistakes made by catfishermen is mistaking big channels for small blues, in waters where they both are found. I can also tell you that WVDNR has stocked 10's of thousands of Northern Pike fingerlings in that river and nobody seems to ever catch any of them either?? The native walleye stocking program on this pool is working right well and I've caught more walleye's in the last two years than anytime in the past. They seem to be doing fine. That's my $.02 on the matter and it's worth just about that. I'd love to catch a big blue, but I think I'm gonna have to go a good ways down river to do it.

7. catfish361

catfish361 New Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Brett
    COme on down and fish a tournament with the ohio hills catfish club. It seems like somebody always weights in a blue every tournament. I have caught blues personally in the ohio river from the racine pool all the way down to the Mississippi.
    If somebody tells me they catch a blue from a lake you can almost bet they do not know what a blue looks like. This doesn't count for pay lake people.But from the Ohio river it is very possiable.

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Phil ... Although it is quite possible for a few blues to migrate up stream through the locks, I am sure it wouldn't be any great amount. The historic record shows that there were native blues in the Ohio before the dams were put in, but for some reason, unknown to me, those that were there undoubtedly didn't reproduce. My best idea would be to go below Bellville dam and catch some and release them a couple of miles upstream from the dam. You might contact your WVDNR and ask them why they don't stock them above Bellville dam, it might be enlightening to many the reasons they give. It would seem that with the amount they are stocking they could take a few hundred each year and stock them above then dam. ...... Garry- :eek:oooh: