Ohio Blue Cat Record

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RIVERRUNT, Jan 7, 2008.

1. RIVERRUNT

RIVERRUNT New Member

State:
    reynoldsburg ohio
    Just read article in a ohio sportsman newspaper that the ohio blue cat record is open after the first of the year.Caught with rod and reel only.Will consider any fish 45 inches or over for the record.So there you go get your name in the record book. It will be broken probably quite a few times in the next couple years.Claim your Fame!!!

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I would love to take that record, but IMO if it takes waiting with this fish for hours for god knows who to show up, I think I would rather give her a big wet one take a pic and turn her loose...:roll_eyes:, It's something we can all dream about , but you know its gonna be taken by a 12 year old using a 4ft light action rod, zebco reel with 12 lb test!:eek:oooh::smile2:

3. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I would love to see something like that happen.Then we would have a fisherman for life.

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Well what are you waiting for guys, get out there and catch that monster cat.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    NAAA...lol.. them cincy guys can have them oversized channels:smile2: ....im chasing the flathead record that has been in existance for quite sometime! rollo:wink:

6. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I'll stick to trying for the channel record since we don't have blues up here in nw ohio.

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Oh wow! Now leave it to a guy heart broken about a certain football game last night to finally chime in with the "over sized" channel blow!!:crazy: Little below the belt Rollo...LOL, thats it...its time for a tbull vs Rollo photo thread.. :smile2::smile2::smile2:..It's ok rollo, I know you have had a rough 24 hours so I will let that one slide...:pudency:

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    t bull do you live in ohio, and arent a BUCKEYE? lol... my oversized channel comment was simply because we don't have cold water catfish here.. you being a flat guy, should understand the difficulties of catching this time of year.. blues are known for cold water... like crappies!!! lol .. i have a freezer full now! :wink: i only wish i had a few of them blues to fight to get me till it gets good bro...rollo:wink::big_smile:

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    and t-bull i give solid information... nothing below the belt.....rollo

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I'm just messing with ya Rollo, but I gotta admit, I am not much of a Buckeye fan, even though I live in Ohio...I would have liked to see them win though, but please dont mistake me for an LSU fan!!!:crazy: Yeah thank god for Bluecats, I know how hard it is to find those flatheads in the winter, wish you guys lived closer to the big river...:wink:

11. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would love to be the one in the record books holding the Ohio River record blue. But like tbull said who knows how long it would take for someone to come check the fish in. By that time it could be dead.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    it would be cool, to be in the record books, even for a short time.. i don't know much about the blue population down you guys way.. but, i think this blue record could get broke numerous times before setting itself on top for a while. there definetley isn't gonna be a shortage of people chasing it! :smile2: rollo

13. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    blues are a welcome record for ohio dnr. 45 inches of fish thats sweet. east of cincinnati near ripley could be the place where that record can come or back up river near Portsmouth any thoughts on this .

14. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Its a possiblity but you never know. They are saying that the blue populations are higher in the Markland, and Meldahl pools, than other places. That being said it doesn't neccesarily mean that there are fish of that size in those areas. I hope they are because thats mainly where I fish..:roll_eyes:...I dont doubt that the fish are there, but man oh man is that alot of water to cover.:crazy:

15. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    12/19/2007
    New state record fish category opened for Blue Catfish

The Ohio Division of Wildlife recently removed the Blue Catfish from the state endangered species list, therefore making it legal to catch and possess.

According Division of Wildlife fisheries biologists, joint research conducted with the Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources concluded that Blue Catfish populations in the lower Ohio River were substantial enough to warrant down listing the Blue Catfish from endangered to “species of special concern”.

“Our studies indicated that the numbers of Blue Catfish were more abundant then first thought,” said Rich Zweifel, fisheries biologist with the Ohio Division of Wildlife. “Our sampling on the Meldahl pool found good numbers big Blue Catfish between 40 - 42 pounds, with a few over 50 pounds.”

Ohio’s largest populations of Blue Catfish are found in the Markland and Meldahl pools of the Ohio River between Cincinnati and Portsmouth. Blue Catfish can attain a weight of over 100 pounds. The current Kentucky State Record is 104 pounds and was caught from the Ohio River.

At one time Blue Catfish were common in the Ohio River, but after construction of the locks and dams their numbers were reduced significantly. According to biologists, populations of Blue Catfish in the Ohio River above the Greenup Dam are low in comparison to the populations in the Meldahl and Markland pool. Only West Virginia is currently rearing and stocking Blue Catfish.

The Outdoor Writers of Ohio State Record Fish Committee, the organization responsible for Ohio’s state record fish program, has enacted a set of guidelines for submitting a potential new state record Blue Catfish. These guidelines were drafted after consultations with fisheries biologist and members of the State Record Fish Committee and go into effect January 1, 2008.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regulations for submitting a potential new Ohio state record Blue Catfish.

*No entries will be accepted for Blue Catfish caught before January 1, 2008. All potential record fish must be caught legally using a rod & reel. Fish caught from bank lines, trot lines, jug lines, nets, snagged, grabbing, or other methods will not be accepted.

*All potential state record Blue Catfish are required to be weighed on state or county certified scales in front of two witnesses, whose name, address, phone number, and signature, must accompany the application.

*All potential state record Blue Catfish must be examined by a fisheries biologist from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife.

*A clear photograph showing the fish must also accompany the application.

*Fish will only be accepted from anglers with a valid Ohio fishing license caught from the main stem of the Ohio River within the state borders, any state of Ohio tributary, or from the shoreline of the Ohio side, or any Ohio public lake. Fish from “pay lakes” are not eligible. Fish caught from a Kentucky, Indiana, Pennsylvania, or West Virginia shoreline or tributary will not be accepted. A copy of the fishing license must accompany the application.

*Non-residents will be eligible for Ohio state record fish recognition providing they have a valid non-resident fishing license at the time the fish was caught.

*Blue Catfish entered into the state record fish list must be 45 inches in length.

*A downloadable application is available online at www.outdoorwritersofohio.org

16. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Cincycat? Now are you keeping a copy of that form in your tackle box?? You are not aloud to catch the state record when you are watching tv inside the boat!LOL:wink::smile2::smile2:

17. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    tbull - I'll remember that comment when you come down to fish when it's 20 degrees and your inside standing next to the heater. :wink:

18. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I am a firm believer that the further downriver you go the better the chance of bigger blues. Reason i think this is because on our leveanworth indiana trip we were only there for 2 days and the 2 biggest fish we have ever had in the boat came from those 2 days. Also many HUGE fish have come from further downstream than meldahl pool. I will be honest I know of no-one who has caught a fish over 50lbs in the meldahl pool. I know it has probably been done but at big bend in levenworth indiana it is no problem to catch 60-90 pound blues in that area. If you have ever been on doc langs "hookedoncatfish" website that is where his wife caught the 88 pounder. Also there is a guy at the top of the page of catfish1 "the guy in the middle with the huge blue". Im pretty sure he replied to a message on here to kataddict that particular blue came from around indiana. It just seems to me that further downstream you go the bigger the fish. Makes sense to me though, Time has just played a roll in this in my opinion. The fish Have had a lot more time to grow downstream of us because of the trouble with blues making it past the dams. No telling how much longer they were in those lower pools before they ever made it to the meldahl pools above meldahl. Am I making any sense. We talked to a guy in indiana when we were out and he was an oldtimer. He said in his years living in the area he had seen several fish over 70lbs come out of that area of river. I have never heard of fish in this area 70lbs ever. By the way the big fish we caught in indiana was over 50lbs. Thats all our scale read up to so it was more than that and that was just being there 2 days! my biggest blue in this area is in the mid 30lb range and I have many many many trips in the meldahl pool beins that is one of the areas i fish a lot. Seems like the average blue in this area is around 15-20 lbs. Not Downstream though. our average fish was well over 30 there. This is just my opinion. Think about how much people talk about big fish around tanners creek. I myself have seen pics of 50-60 lb fish coming from there. I know these pools arent in ohio but it does show that the bigger blues are being caught downriver from meldahl pool.

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Robin, Coming from Zanesville, I have no Idea where or what each pool is down there. Could you give me an explanation? I know I could look on a map, But I would like to get the info straight from the horse so to speak lol. We want to hold the Ohio gathering this spring down that way. I'd just like to know the best stretch (pool), to fish Blues. Uusuns and weeuns up here have no clue, where to go. You all talk Markland, Meldhal, Greenup, like its the back of your hand. The rest of us are left in the dark. Help us out guys.

20. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I agree with catcrazed, I have never had the pleasure of fishing farther down river than the markland pool. That being said it does produce for us in large numbers, but we still havent landed a fish over 30lbs yet, atleast not any blues. I think our best bet would be Mrakland pool on down for higher numbers, but I can only say that because I haven't fished the meldahl pool much, but I know the markland will hold big fish, its dang near 90 something miles long if I am not mistaken. If you guys want to come down and catch some blues for the gathering I am sure we won't dissapoint down here. But I also understand that some may have to drive a little further as well...I am sure it will be up in the air until the beginning of spring..LOL:smile2::wink: