Ohio bait laws

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfish42o, Jun 26, 2008.

1. catfish42o

catfish42o New Member

State:
    portsmouth/ohio
    is it legal to use bluegill as bait in ohio? and if so does it have to be bluegill caught from the area your fishing in,or can it be from another location??

2. GOLD FISH

GOLD FISH New Member

State:
    portsmouth/ohio
    you can use them just have to be caught on a hook

3. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    bluegill is my most effective bait

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
  5. Gary B

Gary B New Member

State:
    OHIO
    It's legal to use bluegill. I would be careful catching them at one place and then taking them somewhere else to fish. They might be able to get you for transplanting fish. I met the Portage county Wildlife Ranger Tuesday at West Branch. He didn't even ask for my license. I told him I just caught some bait. He asked and I told him it was a bluegill. He didn't say a word. I asked him how late I am allowed to stay in the park at night and fish. He said as long as I am fishing I can stay as late as I want. They have been having trouble with kids sneaking in and drinking.

Another thing he said: His buddies caught a couple of nice ones fishing straight off the bank useing chicken livers.

6. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    "It is unlawful to transport and introduce any aquatic species (fish, invertebrate, plant) from one body of water to another."

Seems kind of unclear to me, what about minnows, goldfish, shiners, etc., etc., that have been purchased from a bait shop?

" unlawful to transport and introduce" If I am using them as bait would this be considered introducing? Clearly I can't just go catch fish and take them elsewhere to release.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Bluegill is my goto bait on that side and anywhere on the Ohio River and Big Sandy for Flatties!!! They'll never know where they come from anyway. Some nights they prefer just the head and other nights they want the whole live one. Just don't give them any extra info and you'll be ok.

8. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I too Use gills to fish for flatheads ,they love the live bait!

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Brien, you can use any legally caught fish for bait. Crappie, largemouth, smallmouth, gills, bullheads, whatever. Just so you caught them on hook and line, and they fall into the size restrictions and creel limit on that body of water.

10. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's a damn good question, look forward to finding out how they rewrite the law for bait shops.

11. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    bluegills rocks great on the gmr rick