Ohio 2008 Year In Review....

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jan 4, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well 2008 brought many different things to all of us here.... I myself got my butt-kicked by the Flathunter in a friendly contest. June brought us all across the state a ton of rain all at once! We all suffered from the outragous gas prices, that kept many boats shored or stored! Also, what ever happened to the Mizzbigcat? If I remember right, there was alot of good talk there also...:roll_eyes: Skip? Well, I managed to catch some good blues, and my first blue, on my first trip to the James. The Oh, PA thing was alot of fun also for both states! And lastly, but more importantly we lost a fellow brother. Tspergin... He will always be remembered by those that had even a few minutes to meet him, and to those that were close to him! God Bless You Brother!! And we will all wet a line for you in 2009!!!!

What do all of you remember from this past year, good and bad? The ups and downs?! It's what happens year to year that makes us smarter, and gives us different perspectives and ambitions for the future!! rollo

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here's a couple pic.s I ran across of Tony (Tspergin) :big_smile: rollo

Attached Files:

3. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, the gas prices of course, loosing my great grandmother and the family hostilities that followed, getting my van totaled, getting closer to my family, all of my brothers crazy actions, finally getting a truck (p.o.s. but it's mine), meeting and making new friends and getting back in touch with a few old ones, some amazing wild scenery, finding out there's people crazier than I am about fishing, getting into flathead fishing, learning, teaching others, seeing how screwed up major companies can be to their employees, the house I've come to call home being foreclosed on..... and realizing that no matter what happens as long as I have my family and a few good friends everything else in life is just trivial, I learned a lot in 09, but that has to be the best lesson I've learned so far in my short time.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man, you've went through, and done alot of shit in 5 days!!! :big_smile: rollo

5. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :embarassed:..... oops, I meant 08.:embarassed:

Everyone gets on my case about that, I have a really bad sense of time, but that one was a good one, lol.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I didn't know whether to wish ya better luck in 09' or 10' :smile2:

either way goodluck man, thanks for the post! rollo

7. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    LOL! :smile2:

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    2008 brought a change in my way life ... after having lived in Florida for 30 years I moved back to Newark, Ohio in late 2007. Getting used to the cold is something I will never get, but is one of those things one learns to accept.

I found BOC and got acquainted with some pretty great guys and gals. Have been fortunate to personally met most of the local area people and enjoy some good food and conversation with them.

I was disappointed that I lonly got to fish maybe a dozen times since my boat is more than I can handle by myself ... and most everyone is working during the week. In 2007 fished 134 times ... so you can see the difference.

Got regeared for trapping which was both rewarding and expensive, but going at it the best that I can.

Lost a bunch of friends and classmates which is always chilling when you get to be my age.

I am still learning as much as I can about all that I can and this keeps me going .... so looking forward to a good 2009 and wish the same to all of you ....... Garry-

9. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I had a pretty good year in 08'. I got back into fishing more, I was introduced to this site and met alot of great people on here. Ive settled down a ton from running the bars and drinking all the time to relaxing and spending all my time with my family. I caught alot of nice channels this year but 09' is all about Flatheads for me Its hard for me to sleep at night thinking of the fishing trips to come, setting the hook in that 40 pounder is what im waiting for! Overall It all finally has came together for me and I know that 09' will be a great year.

10. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I have learned alot in "08". It was my first year chasing the cat's around. I want to thank to my BOC brothers helping me out here and there, I had a great fishing season. I wish I could have met more BOC members but that is going to be my goal for the "09" season. I hope that all my ohio brothers will have a great season and be safe on the water.
    Tight lines

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The good- catching 4 flatheads over 40-lbs including my best of 55-lbs...Also being present when My friends Roger, and Mellon both caught there personal best flats of over 40-lbs

The bad- Back surgery!

12. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Well 08 was pretty crappy for me, I probably caught less fish this year that any other year since i started fishing 12 yrs ago. Probably i would say one of the best things was putting BOC member Salmonid on his PB bluecat, and the worst was having to leave from a tourny in the middle of the night, and skipping day 2 because of being hit with kidney stones..Another good thing was sort of learning the drifting technique better, I think i caught more fish drifting that anchored up...2008 was just not my year, so i pray that 2009 will BE MY YEAR!!!!:wink:

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    This past summer I drove across the state of Ohio going to Indiana. Every exit sign i looked to see if it was where any of you were from. I did find out where Zansville, OH and the Might Muskingum is.

Zanesville seems more West Virginiaish than Ohio.

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wish all goodluck in 2009!!! rollo

15. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    2008 was a year for me to get back in touch with a lifelong passion of mine, Catfishing. I had always considered myself a descent catfisherman but had only went after them "part time" and only in ponds and lakes. Needless to say I had never caught one over 7 or 8 lbs. Anyway, I found this website and got the "big cat fever". It did'nt take me long to realize that I was not going to catch a trophy cat fishing down the street at the public golf course :smile2:. So I decided to take on the more challenging waters of the Mighty Miss. I decided to target the Flathead. The elusive Flathead has always intriuged me, having never caught one and heard that you could only catch one on trotlines. I committed to dispelling the myth. After many hours of fumbling in the darkness, swatting mosquitoes, battling tough terrain and heavy current. I finally began to learn the ropes. I ended up catching several in the teens and a few close to 30 lbs. 2008 for me was all about learning how to fish. And although it was'nt always fun and after 2 dozen skunkings and a 100 lost sinkers later it all began to pay off. The BOC has been a tremendously valuable learning tool for me as well. :0a31:I can't say how helpful this place has been for me. I look forward to a much better year of fishing in 2009.

Bring on spring!:wink:

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I Smoked her right off the bat with a 40 someting flat and she lost interest, not too many 40lb channels out there lol. Lovely girl though, would have loved to meet her.

17. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    2008 wasn't bad for me.i found this website in april.went to the gathering,met a few good friends.new pb flat with ramrod,who is a good friend now.

an unexpected child,we have a 6 year old niece that we are taking care of right now.

i can gripe about bad stuff,but it always follows good stuff,i am just grateful for the stuff above,and the family standing beside me every step of even my most grouchy and obnoxious times.

i look forward to more fishing adventures with old friends,and hopefully i will get to meet and fish with new friends.

18. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Oh I forgot to add, i was able to fish with S_Man and see him catch his first blue too....That was Jan of 08 I believe.

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Matt, I want to make sure you know how much I appreciate you guiding me to that first Blue. I was stoked for a week afterwards.
    Thanks My BOC Brother.

20. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    2008 well i made it to the gathering met alot of great guys fished as much as i could caught alot of decent fish biggest 25 lbs .had to work alot which is a good or bad thing and the worst was i lost my mother back in march and that hit me pretty hard and still does as we was really close hopefully 2009 will bring better days and better luck to all