OH YEAH--How often do you replace fishing line???

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Catfish_Rob, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    I forgot to ask. How often do you guys replace the line on your reels. I was fishing yesterday with 20lb test and it snapped as I got the fish in - still caught it with my quick hands. I took a look at my line and it was all old and cracked, however I just put it on in june. It didn't seem like that was very long. Should I invest in better quality fishing line or should I replace it more often? Thanks,

Catfish_Rob

2. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Buy some better line. If you like mono go with Berkley Big Game. If you like braid go with Power Pro or something of that nature. Then spool it on backwords when it gets worn (depending on how much and how you usually fish) Usually every year or so for me.

3. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If you're using a monofilament line, use Berkley Big Game or PLine. Both are great. I'd upgrade to at least 30 lb test too. I currently use 30lb Test for main line/leader, but will kick up to 40 lb.

4. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    After every time that you catch a fish or remove your line from a snag you should inspect your line for nicks and/or abrasion. One of the added benefits of using a "shock" leader is that it gets the brunt of all the abrasion and not your standing line. UV rays deteriorate mono so try to keep your line out of direct sunlight between fishing trips. Change shock leaders at least every trip out and standing line 1 or 2 times per season. Hope this helps. :big_smile:

Ray

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i pull off 10 or so feet every trip or after a bunch fo fish and completly respool about once a year

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Robert the line is your link to catching the fish. Use quality line. No shortcuts here. Use the size lint hat works for you and for the fish size you are targeting. Check the line after each fish by running through your fingers. If you feel any nicks cut off a few feet. Good quality line will help you land that new PB. Leaving a reel in the sunshine for long periods will break the line down.

7. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You have to invest a little money into your line. Cheap line is cheap for a reason. Remember that. If your going to be useing mono...go with berkley big game. And id go up to at least 30 if your fishing the ohio or gmr. and i replace my mono a few times a year. Im about to switch to braided and will go with power pro. Dont know how often ill need to replace that. Not often i hope....braided aint cheap!

8. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    I use power pro and reverse the line every year and I have used it upwards of 3 yrs, and wouldn't be affraid to go 4 yrs. before replacing. Best line I ever used...

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For mono I change it once a year and when my line gets low from breaking off snags on the reel. When I change leaders or weights I cut off extra line to get rid of any line with issues. For braided I honestly don't even think about it I just leave it on unless it starts to look really bad.

10. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    Thanks guys. You gave me a lot to think about. I will probably invest in some better line. Also I will start putting my rods in my trunk instead of leaving in my car in the sunlight.

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I use about 4 different poles each year and respool all 4 of them about 4 to 5 times . I try alot of different lines is mainly why I do this .

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    all depends on how much sun it has been exposed to and how it looks and feels. i have some reels with 2 year old line on it and it is still good. if the spool is still full after a year i will "reverse it" onto another, usually the line underneath is like new. like others have said, all depends on the brand, what its made of, and how much abuse it has taken. i prefer a co-polymer line to a mono, its WAY tougher and lasts a lot longer. as for braid, i dont like it for catfishing but love it when tossing lures for bass and éyes. i hear of folks changing line after every trip, an unnecessary waste IMO. kinda like tossing out your tool sets after each time you work on your car :smile2:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  13. Golden

Golden New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I do the same but i change my whole spool of like about every 4 to 6 months depending on how often i go out. you have to remember when you cast out or even fish from a boat and drop your line down there is 30+ feet exposed to the elements. rocks, brush passing by, even fish passing by.

14. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If Im out just fishing, no tourney or anything I dont even worry about what shape my line is in, If i lose the fish then oh well im not out anything. Now if i do see that its real bad ill take care of it but I dont worry too much. However if im tourney fishing.....ill run a ton of line out of my spools when prepareing and inspect it, and if anything is wrong then the line gets cut there or replaced.

15. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    before i even leave the house ill check the first 20-30 foot of line, that is "usually" where all the snag and abrasion damage happens but not all the time, if i find a nick or any kinks ill cut that out and retie my setup, i took a sharpy and made a mark on my spool and since i fish heavy cover snags are going to happen alot, so once my line gets below that mark i know its time to change out the line and put new on, plus if it gets to that mark a fish could spool it alot faster than having the spool full...

16. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ide say better quality line. Ive NEVER had a problem with trilene big game...I love that stuff...untill i eventually get talked into braid thats all i will ever run.

17. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I always inspect my line before starting to fish. I'll respool at least once a yr and any time in between that as needed. I have only lost a few fish due to line breaking. Most of them have been my fault, others were from the fish getting into snags.

18. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    I check my line after every fish/snag....and usually remove about 10 feet if it shows wear on it. I re-spool my reels completley at least...at least once a month. Usually more than that. I dont want to risk loosing a fish to bad line so I am pretty anal about it. I go through a lot of line each year...but pretty much never break off.

19. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    after a bunch of fish huh...so you do it once a year:smile2::smile2::smile2:...lmao...im just messing with ya..or am I??

20. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    If you're running a larger reel, don't be afraid to go to heavier than 30# mono.. I use 50# mono on my 7000 Abu's, and I check it out real well before I cast, and after every cast..

I was talked into braid,, and fairly quickly, talked myself out of it..for linear strength it's awesome, for abrasion resistance,, it's, well,,,,,,, I didn't care for it...

I, as a minimum, will change out my line on all my reels in the beginning of the regular season,, and,, will sometimes tie on new line if I've cut a bunch off because of snags, or damage,, I use a blood knot for that,, and it seems to work well. Or reverse it, onto another reel,, depends on how much I have on a particular reel, etc...

But, mono or braid,, get good line, and stout enough for the intended task!!!:big_smile:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009