Oh, what a night...

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by beeheck, Jun 25, 2006.

1. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Went to the local oxbow with my brother-in-law and limited out on channel cats with the largest being 6lbs and yes I used a scale it wasn't a guess, good thing because I guessed it at 24lbs, lol :big_smile: ,the rest in the 1.5 to 3 lb range. Some very nice cats to say the least. The bite was slow but would pick up for a half-hour or so and die down again but it was a nice night. We watched as a storm approached, it split and went around us but the lightening show was awesome tall storm clouds lighted from behind and within with blue/white and yellowish light depending on the location of the bolt of lightening. I love storms anyway, I sit out in the back yard with an iced tea and watch them come in until the rain forces me inside. When the local weather people warn everyone to go to their basements I go to my patio and watch the incoming show. A great night, if you were sleeping you missed a good one.

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I love a good storm T-storm too, natures fireworks. Been raining here all weekend, like 5 inches of rain. Hope to get out and fish this week at night.
    Glad you had fun there!

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
  4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Bill you diden't happen to be fishing Desoto Bend last night did you? Myself , my Son in law and Old Rich.(a retired Teamster) went and We cought 3 nice Chanelcat 3/5 pounds. Talk about a night well the son in law had never fished before and he wanted to go and learn so old John Buys him a rod and reel(Abu 6500c3 and Uglystick Tiger m/h)If he wants to fish lets fix him up right! So we get ready for the first drift and I shows James how to opperate the outfit he says no Problem! well he rares back and gives it a Big old fling makes the coment Boy this thing shure gets along way out. Well the bait hits the water and he forgets to put his thumb on the spool. Im telling you folks that backlash was the BEST I'v ever seen.So James ask What did I do wrong? I said you just forgot to put your thumb on the spool right before the bait hit the water, He say OH Ill do better next time. So I get the reel all squared away after 15 min. or so reel in and explain again how it works hand him the rod and says try it again son. WELL Ill tell you james has got the backlish thing mastered to a tee.Well as the night moved along james managed to only backlash 6/7 more times and only cross over our lines about that many times so all in all it wasent to bad if you happen to be an Extreamly Patient PERSON wiich sometimes Im not. Well james is looking all around and of corse not at his rod and says to Rich hay Rich is that the Big Dipper up there? well about that time his rod trys to jump out of the boat so I grab it set the hook and say james here reel in your fish. Thanks dad! well another mistake he managed to tangle the other 4 lines bringing it to the boat 5 pounds it weighed he was so Proud ( we diden't let him use 2 rods cause he was plenty dangerous with just one) Well we get all untangled and the storm looks like it could maybe move our way so we drug up and headed for the ramp. There were a copple of other fellas who had just pulled off before us and they had 5 channels the biggest appeared to be around #12 pounds or so (if it was mine Id said it weighed #16 pounds at least L.O.L.) Well we get back home around 3:30AM James says Im sorta tired Im going home you don't mind cleaning the fish do you dad I says no thats fine james go home and get some sleep I had been up 23 hours at that point worked from 6;00AM till 5:30PM Then loaded everything up picked up James(who I might add diden't have to work Sat. Probably got his nap cause he was going to be up late Wight!) Made it to bed around 5:00AM Well I got up at 8:00AM drank a cup of coffee and went and cleaned the boat up and put it away.So Here it is 11:30AM a knock on the door I get up and see who it is and low and behold its james i envite him in(My arms are just aching from holding back cause I just want to give him a real good Choak around his NECK RIGHT!)So He Says I just came over to get MY rod out of the back of your truck and pick up the catfish filets ( you did get them cleaned diden't you Dad)I says sure Son here they are. He says thanks because were having some frinds over tonight and I plan on fixing them. Great I say Hope you enjoy them!!! Then he comences to tell me how much how much He appericates me and thanks me for taking him fishing and can't wate to go again. Well there is and old saying that God takes care of drunks and Fools and somewhere in between there I must fit in! Just before I started to answer Bill there was a thred about drinking and fishing which I don't usually do but thinking about starting if james gets into this fishing thing.Which would you guys recomend Canadian club and Coke or Bud lite?Bigcatman0816.:eek:oooh: P.S. OH WHAT A NIGHT!!!!!

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Sounds like you had a fun night with your son. I can tell he had a good night as he didn't do anything but reel in fish and let you un-do tangles in his reel. lol It's hard to get them kids a going but once you get them on to fishing hang on. Now you have to teach him how to clean the fish and the boat. I guess I'm not shy about suggesting that they do this or that or they sometimes just don't know they're supposed to do something. It was a great night wasn't it? We were on Brown's Lake but Snyder's has bigger fish but harder to catch with all the weeds. That oxbow needs some serious weed control put on it. One last thing to inject here, I never kept a fish for the last 15 years or so and have just started keeping a few for dinner. Now I remember why I lived by the saying, "Nothing ruins a great night of fishing like keeping the fish!" Keep us posted on DeSoto Bend fishing, I'm not sure where that is at. Now don't just tell me it's by the big river as I knew that. lol

6. frostycold1

frostycold1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ya I know what thats all about. I got twin 6 year olds that like fishing now. I spend most of the time untangling lines, retrieving bobbers from trees, and helping with bait. Lately if they catch something I just say" so take it off ". They've learned to put worms on now and take off their own fish. But there is no way I'm giving them an open face reel. (for awhile) I still tangle mine once in awhile.:crazy: One tip, don't ever buy those cheesy kid themed poles. Went through several before realizing that.

7. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice mess of cats Bill, and yes storms can be enjoyable to watch!

John, I'm thinkin' the CC w/o the Coke... lol