oh, the irony..

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Cattoo, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i have been a catfishing enthusiast since as far back as i can remember. i have been dedicated to the catch and release of trophy fish since i was turned on to the idea from those boys over at in-fisherman. i love this site and all the info, camradrie, and just plain fun it offers. having said all that there is one aspect of this sport( some people regard it as such, i usually just refer to it as a past time or way of life) that i am simply opposed to.TOURNAMENT CATFISHING. now, before you pass judgement on this statement or me, please here me out. i believe there are a few good things that come from tournaments. number one is certain laws can have an edge to get passed because it gives tournament participants a louder political voice( because of all the money involved) to protect cats, such as size and creel limits. these are the good things. as for the bad, i have only a couple of gripes, but they are HUGE. the #1 thing is this, delayed mortality rate. most catfishermen who have done alot of fishing know that bluecats(coincidentally the most sought after tournament fish) are the weakest of the species in terms of surviving the catch especially in water above 75 degrees. just catching these fish and releasing them immediately in warm water is not a guarantee they will survive. i have caught and released fish that seemed in perfectly good health, in the month of may when water temps are still in the 60's, only to return the next day and see the carcass floating. these fish, especially the big ones, are not very hardy. now, factor in being hauled around all day in a live well and being banged around and handled excessively and you have a recipe for disaster.these fish are big water, heavy current fish that demand alot of oxygen to survive. they simply cannot sustain lengthy boat rides.the other thing i hate to see is catfisherman displaying the same attributes of ba$$holes( tournament ba$$ guys) that many of us have grown to despise. i think alot of you can relate to this. you know, acting like they own the water because they have a boat they can't really afford and fishing, not for the pleasure and excitement of it, but for the allmighty dollar. and i know, alot of these tournament guys are not true catmen, some of them are ba$$hole exiles who have a chip on their shoulder because they couldnt make it on the ba$$ circuit or just feel like their life is not complete unless they can " one up" somebody.alot of macho "look at me" b.s. .some are just fishing novices trying to cash in on the next big thing. i say all this to make a point. we, the members of the BOC , for the most part want to see trophy cats protected, but for what? so tournament guys can ca$h in on it ?or do we want to see our kids and their kids and possibly their kids get the same opportunity if not better, to have their rods doubled, the hair stand up on the back of their necks, heart beating 100 miles an hour and fight the fight of a lifetime and if they play it right, land one of these awesome creatures, perhaps the next world record. i know, alot of you guys will take offense to this and try to dispute alot of it or justify this and that. so be it. i just had to speak my mind. my conscience is clean. what about yours?

2. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Outstanding post Keith!!!!!!!! Yes sir, you will ruffle some feathers with this one!:eek:oooh::wink:

3. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    well, i am a natural born feather ruffler but i sleep well at night. always be true to yourself and things will be just fine!

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well i agree. the best thing to do with something you love and respect and want to protect. is leave it alone.

i never fished a tourny. nor have any desire. i respect the outdoors. if i dont want it for food. i do two things. let it go immed or dont pull the trigger. JMO. and ill stick with that.

no shots from me to those that do. but i simply wont.

be lots here mad and trying to justify. but it wont change my mind. honestly. to me draging a fish all over the lake weighing shooting pics. aint much different than running a stringer through it lip and letting him sit for hrs and relasing it. i make the decision within 10 seconds of boating a fish weather hes dead or going home.

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    The title of this thread is keeping the activity down, it will fire up quickly...

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    lol. ill be supprized to see it sat when i return back.:smile2:

paul. next blog on catfish talk? :wink:

7. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i don't mean to cause controversy. i just want to maybe open some eyes and educate....

8. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Keith,

I need to interview you for CatfishTalk.com :wink:

9. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
  10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
  11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hmmmmm, i fished countless bass tourneys and am yet to fish a catfish tourney. Mainly i guess because they don't hold many in my area. You have some valid points Keith. I've witnessed many Bassholes as you refer to them(us or me) weigh-in after 8 hours in a live-well. If his gills move it's considered alive, and dump them back in the lake only to float off on it's side and die. This don't look good in the public eye. I have to wonder in tourneys where polygraph isn't required just how many dead fish get thrown on the bank to avoid the dead fish penalty? I apoligise for turning this into bass fishin, but i think the same applys for about any type of tourney fishing.
    I too expect an azz kickin and repercussion from my post, but it won't be the first. Oh well.

12. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    One of the wonderful things about this country is that we all have the right to speak our minds and it sounds like you are speaking with your heart and mind. Outstanding thread!!!!!!

13. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Keith, very nicely said. Yes, you are allowed your opinion and I think you stated yours very well and have made some excellent points to ponder. Thank you for your post and I am sure some interesting reading to follow.

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'm not a fan of tournaments...if someone is competing for cash or prizes that have any real value, it's just another form of commercial fishing.

Having said that, tournament fishing does elevate a species in the public eye, and research money/effort usually follow. Catfish deserve sportfish status and management.

15. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Tournaments need to change their format, period. Each boat out there fishing should have an impartial weigh judge onboard. He should have a scale that has been checked and tested against all the other judges scales. So that each fish that gets caught gets quickly weighed, measured, and released with a good chance of survival.

With the cell phones that everyone has you could keep a running tally going on the board as to who has the biggest fish. Each fisherman would get to fish 2 and then take his turn being the observer.

Until I see that, or something very much like that I am dead set against any fishing competition or tournament anywhere for any species.

I've seen a bass tournament's at smaller lakes virtually wipe out a thriving bass lake. I've seen them come in to land, take the fish out of the live well, stick them in a plastic bag with a quart of water, then stand around on the bank for half an hour till every one of those fish is either dead, or will die, or if it does live will take weeks to recover.

Fishing for fun, to put food in the freezer is one thing. It has a very limited impact on the fishery as a whole.
    Fishing for competition is another matter all together. Its limited benefits of raising awareness are totally overridden by the fish it kills.

Fishing should not be about keeping score, or catching more or bigger ones than the other guy. It should be about reconnecting with nature. Enjoying the time on the water. And enjoying the challenge of hooking and playing a nice fish.

16. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    well here we go:wink: & the pot is funkin-I have no desire to do the tourneys its all bout the money as the U.S goes ...I fish fer food I like to eat-cpr is a good thing and I can see the need but I have come to the conclusion if I want to eat it I am gonna eat and as long as I am not breaking the laws of my state it says I can as anyone else out there so what is all the fuss? EDECUTATIG is good though.........see alot of fish harvested here every year of all sizes & we aint lacking for next....watching this go on fer 30 or so years-shoot the fish are getting bigger and I dont know one fisher in my area that cprs ritualley.... not that there isnt any I just dont know them..all of the fishers I know like to eat and eat what they catch no matter the size..... and have even aquainted myself with a couple commercials..I cant be mad at them either there feeding there famileys thats there job....there bread & butter the good ones respect the bounty as it feeds there butts they want another too believe me...Enjoy yer time out there diong what you love to do and as long as you can live with it so can I...education and selective harvest is a good thing but sometimes I see this issues arguement looking like them p peoplle getting way out in left field .....I just dont see all the fuss ..with all of that gonna bake me some kittey fer lunch yum-yum!:big_smile:

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    mad fin shark fishing tourney is like ghosth said, judge on board, fish measured and released asap, bonus points for hook removal, results phoned in. thats great stuff there, if all tourneys were like that it would increase survival greatly. cattoo as far as you finding dead released fish, how are you handeling them not saying you do but grabbing them by the gillplate like they do on in fisherman most of the time is a big no no. i grab them by the mouth allways and if their big enough ill use my other hand under their belly to support their weight evenly. if fish couldnt handel being cought and released they wouldnt be found in aquariums i think alot has to do with how they are treated. something that may help i dont think is made yet. splash supposedly died from an infection in the jaw that may have been from the hook. something that i might use if someone made it would be a antibacteria spray that you could spray on the hook hole before release. just think if you pearse your ear nose lip belly button they have you put stuff on it to prevent infection. you hook a fish thats swimming in water its piersed and could get infected. just more to think about:wink:

18. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Now something like this ott'a make everyone happy!! Thanks for the input Bill...

19. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I personally don't have a problem with tournaments, I have never fished in one and dont have any plans to but in this day and age of technical advances why couldnt a cheap camera phone or some other device be handed out the morning of the event and each fish could be photographed with a digital scale and then sent via email to the even coordinator/judge immediately which leaves the fish free to be released right after it was caught? There has got to be some better management practices for these fishing tournaments which would allow everyone to have their fish and eat it too (figuratively speaking)

Bill

20. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i never handle fish by the gills (i guess all the hybrid stripe and walleye fishing has broke me from that). i use a very large dip net to control the fish and i am very careful in handling them. i believe these fish just put up such hard fights that they can sometimes go into shock much like a hybrid stripe will. they both basically hunt and swim in the same areas for the same prey. i was informed by fish and wildlife to not even release hybrids if the water temp was above 70 because most of them will just die anyway due to delayed mortality. i think the same approach should apply to blues. they are simply not tough fish, especially the bigger ,older fish.