Oh, the heartbreak!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Powhatan, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Just got back from vacation in SC.. lots of fishing but not much catching there...glad to be home to familiar waters.

Me and a bud left out of Dutch Gap this morning. Caught a few cutters for bait and started fishing. We caught about 10...between 5 & 10 pounds..not much to talk about. We had to fight the play boats all day. They don't realize that the river is wide and they don't need to come within 10 feet of us..but that is another story..

About the time we're getting ready to leave my buddy looked at his rod and it was bent to the water.. I really thought he was hung up because he could not move what ever it was off the bottom.. after about 20 minutes of holding the rod he handed it to me to prove there was a fish there.. I have NEVER felt a fish that big before. It was pulling but not stripping line, just a dead slow pull. Very slow, very deliberate. I don't think the fish knew he was hooked. We lifted anchor and followed the fish around for a while.. After about 30 minutes it started pulling and stripping line. My buddy was not horsing it...just keeping steady pressure on it. We finally got it under the boat but it was still on the bottom in 40+ feet of water. He started lifting and getting some line in...and then.......................SNAP! The line broke about 10 feet from the tip of the rod. He was using a spinning rod and I think the line had a lot of twist in it from realing against the drag..(I warned him about that..)

He was crushed.. his largest cat was about 35 pounds before this. This monster had to be 65 - 75.. It was like trying to lift a small block off the bottom.

We retied and tried again for another hour but nothing else bit. We'll go back next week and see if we can get him then. Oh well...that is why they call it fishing.

2. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    Sounds like a great fish story from the mighty james!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks for the story Chris. Your buddy might want to think about investing in a bait caster, there are a lot of huge blues in the james from what i understand. Better luck next time!!!

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Great story!

Heard it was hit or miss out there this weekend. Alot of skunks climbing aboard people's boats, then another guy boats 3 citations. Can't wait to get back out there.

I hear what you're saying about the pleasure boaters. I try to get out to the ramp around 5pm and fish nights to avoid the bulk of the crowd.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris thanks for sharing your fishing trip with the BOC. Sorry you didn't get the big one in. It probably would have taken a big camera to have taken the picture. Ha. Ha.:smile2:

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sounds like a huge flathead to me. i havent seen any blues hug the bottom like your talking about but i have felt one flathead that did me the same way for 20 minutes one night. line broke on me too but i have to say i horse the fish trying to break it from the bottom. it was give and take for 2ft and that was all on the bottom in 60ft of water. i have felt your pain and i still do to this day. you still give me hope with your post that there is still one out there though. good luck on the next trip and thanks for sharing your heartbreak with us.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's what nightmares are made of. Sounds like a good fight though.

8. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    hi chris, I don't know where you were fishing but the piece of water just west of 295 bridge near the duckblind owes me a very big fish.
    I have nearly been spooled twice there and it was just like you decribed it , I don,t think the fish even knew he was hooked.Just a slow steady pull that i could not turn toward the boat.
    good to hear from you again.

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sturgeon perhaps? I want one bad!:wink:

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Sorry hear that.. I would also have to guess a big Flathead.. Sounds alot like the way a flathead "fights" .. I

11. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    You know, I was thinking that too.. has anyone caught any strugeon on the James?

12. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    They have been caught, although I heard they are very rare. Also heard of spoonbill being caught on the James.

Thought you all might enjoy this story from TrapperEarl. I read this a while back and Powhatan's story made me think of this:

<<Sorry guys, I had some boat problems to fix, bad tank of gas and no reverce and some other things after the "FISH" turned my boat around agenst the current and drug the anchor for a couple hundred yards while I was fighting this monster. I had Ladycat cut a couple lines as the boat turned to keep them from tangleing the fish on line. well one of the cut lines found the prop when I fired the motor. You all know what that ment. anyhow back to this fish. it took a live eel of 24 inches long and big round as a quarter. I had it on my 7000 abu with 80# power pro on a 6'6" abu brute 50 to 80# heavy trolling rod. After playing this fish (he was playing me to tell the truth) for over 30 min. and seeing the spool twice he went down river fast. I applied thumb pressure on the spool and leaned back to turn him, I DID!!!! with a vengence, he turned and went up river with a jet on! when it passed the boat Ladycat saw color and said "poop its as big as the boat!!!! I was reeling up line tring to catch up when it went tight so fast it cut my finger and snapped the rod. the sudden hard hit when the line tightened up it pulled a piece of meat from the mouth the size of a hockey puck. I got the rig back but the hook is bent and the 100# mono leader is rubbed bad. The 250# swivel is bent that the leader was tied to and the reel needs new drag washers now>>

These might be sturgeon, but I think somebody has tangled with a 100+lb catfish but just hasn't been able to boat it yet.

13. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    This makes me want to go out and buy some better equipment. I enjoy the fight and have caught 10+ 50 pounders on 12 to 17 pound test. But I guess if I hook a really big one it will be all she wrote..

What rod/reel combos do you recommend that will get the big ones in but still enjoy the fight?

14. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i had mine on a abu 7000 c3 with a tiger rod medium action with 30 lb test. no sturgeons where i fish. just one big flathead. i have to say i was enjoying while it lasted.....:smile2:. i have caught 3 flatheads in the last month between 47-52lbs and nothing compares to the one i lost for power. just couldnt break her from the bottom. i had the fish under the boat but that was it. it was in a flathead honey hole so i still have hope that one day i will get another chance.

15. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Two of my hunting clients go yearly to British Columbia to fish for sturgeon. They use big penn reel and boat rods. They catch them up to 300 pounds and use 3-5 pound fish for bait.

16. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    That's a great story...better luck next time!!

17. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Sounds like time to break out the baitcaster and the 100lb test! maybe the Loch Ness monster decided to skip out on the tourists in Scotland this year..LOL!!:roll_eyes: