Oh the disappointment!!!

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Rookie12, May 7, 2006.

1. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I fished Badin on Sat. night. from 5 PM to 1230AM. Got there, rounded up some bait and started off fishing some shad on freeelines and bobbers in the rocks at the dam hoping to catcha few stripers. No luck, but did get a few nice white bass and a couple of channels. Moved down the lake a little while and set up about 730PM. Caught 2 channels and then a nuclear submarine decided to eat one of the 12" perch that I had on a slip float. I fought this damn fish for about 45 min. i would get him to the boat and he would peel the line off the reel. This went on until my arm was about to fall off. I got one good look at him and he looked well over 50 lb. I've caught a couple of 50's on Tillery and this fish dwarfed those. He finally borke my 40 lb. leader. He came up beside the boat straight up and down one time and I put the spot light on him and saw his mouth and thought holy *%$@. His head looked at least 2 ft. wide. This all happened at 830PM. I hooked his brother at about 1030PM with pretty much the same result. This time he wrapped around the anchor line and got off. I then attempted to throw up in disgust, but all my energy was gone from letting those big flats whip my ass. Those were the only 2 good bites I had all night. Both hit BIG white perch that probably weighed around 1 lb. and were about a ft. long. I wish I could have boated that one fish, but that's why it's fishing and not catching. I'm thinking about going today and buying a tuna rod at BPS with some 130 lb. test line, just kidding. Sorry for the long post. Just had to tell it. And yes, I had a witness with me in the boat. Hey Tomahawk, let's try to go out sometime this week. later!!!!

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i hear you rookie12. sounds like one of them badin giants found your hook. congrates on the hook up anyway. i had a little deal like that a few weeks ago. all you get are broken memories when them big boys work you over like that. could you tell if it was a blue or flat? im guessing flat.

3. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    Better to have love and lost than....... I mean hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all...................

4. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Well if you got to be disappointed that is way to do it. My usual is not even a bite. Congrats on the hookup any way.

5. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    I know the pain Chris, had it happen to me a week ago on High Rock.
    Way to go on hooking two of them!
    I agree with Tarheel, better to have hooked and lost than nothing at all. At least you have something to look forward to and know what you may be up against next time!
    Good luck next trip and don't forget the camera. :)

6. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    This fish was definately a flathead. He hit and bulldogged toward the bottom the hole time. We should start a support group for this kind of thing. I'm still sick over it!!
    hopefully I'll get to go back out later this week and redeem myself. later!!!

7. HHinNC

HHinNC Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Wow! Congratulations are still in order Chris. That sounded like a fantastic fishing trip! Sometimes the fish are gonna win, and they deserve a big amount of respect for that. Your "pain" will go away soon, but you'll never forget a night like that! Those kind of memories stay with you forever. I'm predicting that your next trip out will be filled with a lot of anticipation, and that just makes it more fun. Great story! Dang..you got me looking forward to that next trip of yours!

8. pescador

pescador New Member

State:
    Ohio
    wow that sucks .

9. pescador

pescador New Member

State:
    Ohio
    wow that sucks . .