OH River 05/19/09

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Desode, May 19, 2009.

1. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well I made it out for just about 2hrs this evening. I only had nightcrawlers and a hotdog when I got to my spot, but I got lucky and turned one piece of worm into a beautifull hand sized Gill. :smile2: I cut him up and caught 2 nice Fat little Flatheads. One was 4.13pds and the other was 8.2.pds. I had another one that got off and it had some real weight to it. Oh well, I was having fun though. My other rod had the hotdog on there and it got slammed by a nice 6.15pd Channel. I really wanted to stay the whole night at this point but I had stuff to take care of. DAG NAB IT !!!!!!:confused2:
    Still they are on the feed here where I'm at. I have been catching almost all flatheads everytime I go out here on the Oh river. I haven't caught any monsters yet but I have been catching alot of Flatheads. So if your a fellow river rat get out there and Hit the Ohio up ! They are bitting really good right now ! :wink:

Matt AKA DESODE

Attached Files:

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    nice fish,congrats.thats some pretty scenery behind ya

3. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah I have this spot where they used to cut barges up. When the Free trade agreement came along they stopped right there in the middle of 2 of them and quit. Its turned into a Great Flathead area ! There is two barges sinking down into the river and it collects lots of wood between the two Barges.
    Matt AKA DESODE

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on some good fish brother! That is a very creative bait scenario

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Way to turn worms and hot dogs into flatheads and channels!

6. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    everytime on the OR it seems as though the fish dont turn on till 12:00 and later and at best just a lot of runs but no hook ups ????!!!! i dont know what i am doing wrong but you are doing it right

7. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Nice job on the fish Matt! Looks like it's heating up in the big O.

8. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, The Gar have just moved back in, so those runs with no hook ups could be them. Are you using fresh cut bait ? I used to use mostly live bait, but my Boc friend Flathunter, turned me on to using fresh cut bait. I have been catching more Flatheads consistently on fresh cut bait then I ever have. They seem to really like cut bait on the Ohio river. On the lakes though I still stick with live. What kind of Hook are you using ? Also what kind of spot are you fishing at ? Location has a lot to do with things, if you want to catch Flatheads during all times of the day.
    Matt AKA DESODE

9. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    most always live bait warmouth greenies bass golden shiners goldfish occ. a fresh cut shiner using a 10/0 king khale fishing where a river dumps into the OH . at that point it is super deep from no so deep saw a guy with a trotline damn near where i fish loaded with pleasing flatties al from gills ?? and the live bait isint all toothed up when i bring it in
    thanks for the help my man

10. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Any advise for a bank fisherman? I guess any spot that is good will be loaded with people, but I am looking to take a trip this weekend.

11. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Looks like you had a real good time. Congrats!

12. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No thats not true about good spots being filled with people. Most of the good Flathead holes are not easy to get to. You have to hike to them and then slide down some crazy hill ! :angry:
    Here is the link to some tips I wrote a year ago. There is some good info in there on how to find good spots. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90371&highlight=Desode

Since its wensday then you have the time to layout a good week end trip.
    Matt AKA DESODE

13. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, One thing is this, Move that bait around. Don't wait more then 20 minutes. Keep a eye on your watch and when 20 minutes is up wind it in and cast to a new spot. I'd try that twice then I would turn that gill into cut bait ! In my opinion the head in the best , followed by the middle section with the stomach. With the area your describing I would try drifting bait into that hole. Just let the current move the cut bait into the deep area. I have had good luck doing that.

As for areas during the day. Remember Flatheads are Ambush fish. They aren't like Channels at all. You want to find spots on the river where there is structure or a bend in the river, old barge, a sandbar. They love to lay out of the current during the day and watch the current carry food past them. Then they will jump out and grab it or just suck it in.
    You can just about guess that if a place is holding bass then below the bass is a Flathead. I personally think thats why they love a good Bass head ! :wink:

I don't know exactly why but lake flatheads seem to prefer live bait to Fresh cut bait. I assume its because of the current difference. A river Flattie can't be so picky and if its fresh and bloddy they are all over it.
    One other thing is keep the cut bait fresh. If you have a head on give it 15 -20 minutes and if you don't get a bite move it and when you bring it in step on it to get the juices flowing again.
    Once you find some spots that you know are holding Flatheads then you can let your bait soak a little longer if you feel there is a very good chance of it holding a fish. Still though, I'd say 90% of my Flatheads are caught on cut bait that is with in 20 minutes of being freshly cut.
    Best of Luck, I hope that helps,
    Matt AKA DESODE

14. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    Magic trick, turn worms into flatheads---nice:smile2:

15. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am most interested in catching blues in the Ohio. There are plenty of big flatheads in the GMR.

16. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    well hella good luck on what ever target species you lay claim to keep the clickers spinnin and the big cats grinnin

17. Deerslayer29

Deerslayer29 New Member

State:
    Ohio