Oh no my fishing pole

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by catsalot, Jun 25, 2006.

1. catsalot

catsalot New Member

State:
    illinois
    i am telling this story to see if i am the only fishermen with such luck. I pull up to one of my best blue cat holes on the missippi river get my bait on. cast out both of my poles 10 minutes later my new lucky pole bends in half so I reach down to grab my pole set the hook bam the pedistool on my seat breaks so I go falling backwards on to the bait cooler the fish decieds its time to pull and yanks the pole right out of my hand into the river and all I can do is watch as i am stuck on the bottom of the boat with one less fishing pole:lol:

2. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    no man i cant say that i have ever lost a pole before but i could imagine that would suck i wish i hooked into big enough fish to pull my pole out of my hand sound like you got a good spot to fish!!

3. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    tell me where your spot is and the gps reading and ill go down ther and try to snag it for you ill take my wife shes pretty lucky when it comes to catching poles LOL

4. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I WENT TO CAST AND LOST GRIP AND THROW MY POLE INTO THE WATER .FOR NOW ON I WIPE MY HANDS BEFORE I CAST.THE ANOTHER TIME I WAS PULLING IN MY POLES IN ATOURNY AND STOP TO HELP MY PARTNER NET A FISH .I DIDN'T REEL A POLE ALL THE WAY IN AND DIDN'T PUT IT BACK IN A ROD HOLDER.AS I WATCH IT GO BYE-BYE .LEARN FORM YOUR MISTAKES THEY COST MONEY TRUST ME I KNOW.:angry:

5. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes, I also threw my Uglistik into the lake. It was windy and I couldn't tell where it went in.:angry:

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I myself personally have never lost a rod while in a boat, but my brother and I was fishing and the fish wasn't bitting .We was sitting there talking and I told him you know one of these times were going to be not paying and attention and someone is gonna lose a pole.
    Well guess what. about that time he got a hit and his pole shot straight out of the boat. Talk about being upset he was,said he just bought it a week ago. Sure would like to seen what took it.Didn't hit the water till about 10 ft from boat.

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    thats too bad buddy. we all have our days though - they make you a little more prepared for the next time a circumstance like that arises. sorry bout the pole!

8. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    fist time i went out this year, i went up to the missouri and was bank fishing on a wing dyke. about a 1/2hr into the trip i was just standing there on the tip of the dyke looking upstream, and heard a rustling. i turned around just in time to see my $150.00 SLIP RIGHT INTO THE RIVER!! luckily i was fishing just out of the the seam of current and decided to try and cross my line with my other rod. well 1st cast i caght the line from my rod and brought it in. i pulled my rod/reel up first and the fish was still on the other end. got it up to the bank it was a blue about 20lbs or so, but this being the first time out in the year i opted to spool my reel with new 20 lb test rather than go out with old line, and when i got his head up out of the water and tried to grab him the line snapped. i also didnt loosen my drag so its really all my fault that i lost the fish, but was happy to get my rig back. i didnt have to get even that lucky so it wasnt that bad.

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    What type and bran of pedestal were you using? I had abut the sme thing happen years ago in upper wisc. I had put the black Kmart type in my boat. the boom weild broke free. ruined a cooler, lost the bait, make a bad trip worse broke 2 good poles when i landed on them.

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Your not the only one to lose a rod, lost one from the bank one night when the fish went crazy. Was using one of those cheap plastic pole holders. All I heard was a snap and a splash.

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nope I have never lost a pole 4 weekends ago about 8pm or so at night while Big Eli just laughed. Never happened to me. LMAO

12. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Last year I bought 2 new ultra lights for pan fishing... you know.. for bait!
    One of them a laid side ways on the boat then proceeded to knock it of the boat into the deep.... a few minutes later.... I went to cast with my other little ultra light and just threw the dang thing in the lake!

Never been so disgusted with myself in my life!

428 and counting!

13. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    When I was a kid, I was fishing Baldwin Lake, a local powerplant lake, with my dad sometime in late November, early December. I was turned, talking to my dad, when I heard my rod (actually my dad's FAVORITE rod) sliding across a rock into the lake. By the time I turned around, the rod was about 3 feet in the lake, sliding across the underwater rocks. Without thinking, I jumped in and opened my eyes when I hit the water. All I saw was the white part of the handle. I grabbed the rod, came up out of the water, and fought the fish for about 5 minutes. When I pulled the fish in it was.............a 10 pound drum! We quickly returned to the van where I stripped (it was maybe 40 degrees outside) and wrapped an old blanket around my body. When we got home, my dad and I walked in the kitchen and the look on my mom's face was priceless. Every time we went fishing after that, mom always reminded us "don't fall in!".

14. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I don't need a fish to pull them out of the boat....I just throw them overboard my self.:lol:

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive donated 2 rod & reel combos to the Ohio river cats. lol

16. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I have NEVER lost a rod and reel to a fish, or any other kind of pole for that matter.

17. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My signature says it well.

18. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    This seems to be happening to more and more people on this site! I just hope I am not next:crazy: !

19. YankeeRebel

YankeeRebel New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yep happened to me too. My son was fishin' and I told him to,"watch your pole boy or a big cat will drag it in". Well 5 minutes later, with his back turned, SPLASH!!! It broke his little heart. But Dad gave him his backup pole and all was well. Learn form your mistakes is what I told him. :cool2:

20. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Yeah, I've lost a pole this year. $200.00 on the bottom of the river..but your seat breaking is a 'double whammy'! Sorry for your loss bro.