Oh it stinks...bad (which is good, right)

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by osageCo_flathead, Jun 20, 2007.

1. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ok, I posted a while back asking people about a cotton seed meal based dough ball. I took a water container and filled it about a 1/4 full with cotton seed meal. Next I mixed in one package of live yeast. Then I filled the container up to the neck with water and put the lid on. It has set for 2 weeks in the sun. We have only had a few days here in Ok over 80 degrees so I was not sure about how ready this part of the formula was. I opened the lid and it stunk so BAD it was stuck in my nose hairs and made me GAG....bad smell should = good start for a bait. I should mention I used an old Colligan water bottle that sets on top of a water dispenser. Pour the stinky water into a bucket and filter out the cotton seed meal. The cotton seed meal is the main component for the dough ball. Dump the cotton seed meal in a large container. From here you add a package of strawberry jello, anise extract oil, garlic powder, and flower to get the consistency of the dough ball. Remember to use the stinky water if you need water. Form this around a treble hook and hold on tight guys. I am going to use catalpa worms in my next batch if I can find them...if not I am trying grasshoppers. Remember to use gloves....The channels love this stuff

2. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I smell that stuff here in Arkansas. wow that stinks.LOL.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've been wondering what that smell was. :bad_smelly:

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Where did you get the cottonseed meal?

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Dang Billy, I had Hazmat out here trying to track down the source of the fumes I was smelling.. Smoke Detectors going off, Carbon Monoxide Detector screaming at me ... They said it seemed to be originating from Oklahoma, now I know why :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    eeeeewwwww...Home brew stink...definately a right of passage to becoming a seasoned catfisherman. lol

7. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I got it at a feed store called Allen Brothers in Pawhuska Oklahoma. It is my understanding most true feed stores carry it.

8. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I always get mine at the feedstore too. I will try that recipe. Sounds like a winner.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Billy put that lid back on. Guys my age can't handle to much. Hope it works for you. Thanks for sharing.:lol::smile2:

10. Justyn Catfisherman

Justyn Catfisherman New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I thought that was my bro fartin again. Wow hope you get a bunch of good ones on it. Good LUCK.