Oh great Bubbakat, where for art thou?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by TDawgNOk, Jun 3, 2008.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    First off, I want to send out a personal thank you to both Awshuckydarns, and Fuzzywuzzywasabearface for the hours that they spent working on the ghetto boat at Keystone. These two brothers took time out at the gathering to rebuild the carbs for me and show me how it was done. Words alone can not show the gratitude that I feel.

2nd note, it still no worky.

it's got to be something in the linkage/throttle/cable as fuzzface was able to control it by hand fine, and man, when he was controlling it at the motor, that baby purred like a little kitten.

I am attatching some pictures the 1st 2 are of the side of the motor at idle, the 2nd 2 are at full throttle.

Hopefully, Lawrence and Gary will chime in and explain more exactly what it is doing.
    Oh, the motor is a Johnson J50TLCRM Best I can make out that is a 50 hp from 84 with tilt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Checked with my knowledgeable boat repair men today. Your motor does have all the carburator linkage for that year and model, so that shot my theory all to heck. FuzzFace thinks the throttle cable got stretched as the throttle lever will not open the butterfly valves but just a little, maybe 1/4 open from what they should be. The boat shop also said there was another screw there that controlled the linkage, but I have no idea where its at. I'm sure your motor is sound, we know it has good compression. If BubbaKat can't help, maybe you can save a few pennies and take it to a shop - just not the one you took your other motor too.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Your throttle isn't opening fully. No where near fully opened.

That little black roller( Cam Follower) at the bottom of the cam, only moved slightly. It should be at the near end of the cam.

Disconnect your throttle linkage. operate the throttle by hand, to the full open position. Now excellorate at the control box and see if the cable will again line up to where it can be reconnected in the full open position.

You might just see what the problem is after doing this.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Good suggestion Bobpaul. And you are right that is a 1984 50 h/p

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    bobpaul, after dinner that is exactly what dafin and I did. still isn't working right. Dale seemed to think that the problem was in the control box, and that the linkage needed to be lubed.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can lube it inside the control box but as for the cable itself it can't be lubed. I would replace the throttle cable. If you took it loose at the control box and it still won't move far enough to engage the full throttle and it will after taking it loose at the motor then replace the throttle cable, it ain,t no biggie to do.
    Measure the old cable and contact these people http://www.marineengine.com/ and they will be more then glad to fix you right up.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You might find the problem when you open the control box. Examine it for proper function, then check the cable.

8. bowhunter6925

bowhunter6925 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If you think the throttle cable is stuck, take the control box loose and see if you can spray some penetrating oil down into it. I have done this a few times, and if it is not too badly coroded, you can loosen it up for a quick band-aid. I like to use KROIL. This is the ductape of the penetrating oil world. If anything will break a sticky cable loose, this will. Just spray a little in the end and then raise it up. Let it set overnight. Check it again the next day and repeat if necessary. You can work the linkage back and forth a little to try and help it out. If it moves any, you may be able to break things loose a lot faster. Just be careful, and see what happens. Good luck.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    From what I remember FuzzFace saying, the throttle arm on the control box does go through a full range of motion. But when it is in the forward position, and almost laying flat, the butterflfy plates are barely open. He thinks the cable has been stretched. You can take it loose and operate the motor by hand and it runs fairly good. Hook it back up and it won't go. LOL

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Cable could be loose in the control box. Had that problem on a Merc once.