Oh boy, another rod in the drink...

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Howie Ketchdem, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

went out last night for channels and did pretty good,landed 4 in three hrs missed a bunch,my buddy casted his line out and had rod sitting on the bank while removing small obstructions from his choosen rod prop stick when i heard the infamous "BLOOP" and thought what the heck was that... my buddy luke screams "OH S___T, MY DADS ROD" we all tied on trebbles draigging the bottom as if searching for bodies, no luck rods gone hangin out of a catfishes mouth.2nd rod lost to the catfish theves now, the funny thing is, i tell everybody to watch there rods cause ive had it happen but nobody seems to listen....LOLOLOLO
    :smile2:

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I know someone from Arkansas that can relate to that story...His name is Johnny (777).:smile2::eek:oooh::tounge_out:

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive lost one myself a few years back and I jumped in after it. Baitclickers are great now.

4. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Ya gotta loosen that drag or set the baitclicker (depending on type) if you lay it down at all!! I had 2 snatched out of the boat before I wised up and I still lost a cane pole this summer messing around with some nephews.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I usually use a six to ten foot length of light rope around my rods... don't matter if its on the bank or in the boat... gone is gone. And at about $80.00 a pop, rope is cheaper.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Lawrence, I may have to start using that idea:eek:oooh:. I can relate to your story as Big Sam mentioned:smile2:.We were fishing the Cabelas tournament in Kansa on Milford Lake. We were drift fishing and i had just caught 2 fish and weighed them and put them in the live well. I still had one pole out and was fixing to rebate and my partner caught one so i went to the front of the boat and netted his fish and about that time he hooked another one so i netted it. I finally get caught up and turn around and the first thing i noticed was my rod was gone from the rod holder. It never made a sound:eek:oooh:, it was just gone:smile2:. We have GPS so we pretty much knew the area to drag but never found it:angry:. And it was one of my new 6600 c4's on an 8 ft. custom rod:eek:oooh. We finished 16 lbs. out of the money and we know that had to be at least a 30 lber. :wink::smile2:. I've replaced the pole but i'm now on the market for a new reel:wink:.

7. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    i was out last week in the briny deep fishing for snapper and grouper. My buddy in the front of the boat was using 80 pound test with the drag as tight as he could get it. Something with BIG shoulders grabbed the 2 pound mullet he was using for bait and yanked him almost out of the boat. When he let go of the rod with one hand to grab the rail it was "adios rod and reel". I'll bet he don't use pliers on the star drag any more !!!

8. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

thats hilarious,theres quite a few fish in the ocean that are stronger than a human.. ill make sure to keep drag nice and light,lucky your buddy didnt go swimmin with the sharks. wonder if it was one of those goliath groupers, my buddy has been catching them in florida lately...

9. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Johnny is sam picking on you again.He just has rub it in about the rod you lost.LOL

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    baitclickers have saved alot of outfits, but don't learn like i did. do not lay your 6500 garcia on the ground ,clicker engaged! on the handle side!!! even a slight hit and turn of the handle will lock the reel in, then it is like a bottle rocket! on the 4th of July lol. i now have made some nice bank rod holders for my poles! pretty funny though Mickey!!

11. catfishsolich

catfishsolich New Member

State:
    kentucky,metcalfe county
    In the winter here they drop the lakes so if you walk the banks you find lots of stuff. this winter I found 2 poles one was a cheapo zebco outfit but the other one was a $100 bass pro rod with a 60 dollar reel cleaned out the reel and ive been catching channels on it all year. I also found 2 anchors about 25 pairs of glasses,a rodholder,and about 1000 lures. I just started doing it last winter so this year im gonna get out there earlier and walk. My 8 year old is always saying I wish they would drain the lake so we can go treasure hunting again. I just wish they would do it so theres more fish in a smaller lake maybe I could find em then:smile2: