Offshore out of Oregon Inlet, 9/11

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by JPritch, Sep 15, 2008.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Fished aboard the Fin Galley out of Oregon Inlet, Thursday 9/11.

Caught a limit of dolphin for the boat in about 30 minutes. The action was fast and furious, at one point all six on the boat had a fish on. The mate had to work hard to keep up. All bailer size, with a few nice ones. Saw a bull dolphin sitting under the weed line, just a huge bright green/yellow shadow. By the time I saw him, our baits were already past him and I didn't have enough time to try to place a bait in his general direction.

After we limited on dolphin, we trolled for tuna the rest of the day. Somebody must have thrown the horseshoe off the boat before the trip, because we had 3 tuna hookups and no boated fish. One guy fought a huge tuna for a good 15-20 minutes before it got off. Talk about a look of disappointment on his face! I was up 4th, about to fall asleep, when I heard the captain and mate go crazy screaming "billfish!". Sure enough, I look up and I see a bill coming up out of the water attacking the plastic squid spread behind the boat. They cast a natural bait back there, and they hook up. I get set in the fighting chair and am handed the rod. Turns out to be a sailfish. He made two spectacular jumps, pulling line the entire time, I never gained a stitch of line on him. Then, line goes limp! Story of the day. The guy after me fought a tuna, and was unable to boat it.

I still had a blast, and have a ton of dolphin in the freezer. I don't have the pics available here at work, and am waiting on a guy from the trip to send me pics of the sailfish jumping, but I will get them up as soon as I can.

2. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I'm jealous:cry:

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Offshore is where it's at if you are into big game sport fishing.
    I absolutely love it.
    To me dolphin is the best fish to eat in the ocean. I'd love to maintain a freezer full.

You have never been fishing until you have gone big game saltwater fishing. It's incredible.