Offshore Oil Rig Career?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by BassMassey, Mar 12, 2008.

1. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I was curious to know if any BOC members work/ or have worked on an offshore oil rig? I've been researching a little bit off the net and it seems like an ideal job for a man with no wife or kids. I am actually looking for a cook, or better yet a baker position. I found a website that is like a recruiting agency for oil companies, yet they want $100 just to sign up for their services. I would think there has to be a better way to send out a resume or fill out an application than that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. -BassMassey....

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I think there is one member here that works on one but Im not sure of his name. I wouldnt pay 100 for that recruiting tho, that sounds like a scam

3. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Aaron, don't spend any $ on that. go to Industrial tradesman or hot sheet .com from there you can find many links to follow. I work on the road about 2/3s of the year as a welder/millwright and there is no shotage of work anywhere you want to go. hope this helps. Greg

4. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just returned from a trip down the LA Delta. First time down the entire length to Venice LA. Couldn't believe the huge parking lots full of vehicles and commercial helicopters and pads. If there's a fee for it I'd forget it. The employers looking pay fees to headhunters. Do a Google search: IE oil platform jobs and other key words. The locals I talked to said since Katrina help is hard to find. Don't know if this applies to oil rigs or not. With the price of oil seems like they'd have the CASH to spend.

5. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I am a derrickhand on a landbased rig.I also suggest do not pay money to fill out a resume.We have companies come here (WV) to hold seminars and recruit workers.A quick search led me to PennEnergy www.pennenergyjobs.com seems to have a free online jobsearch.

The money is good I suggest you go for it.
    A Roustabout position is also a good one for offshore it will get your foot in with the company.I also will make a note that many offshore companies require a hair sample drug screening.That means if you have partied with illegal substances in the past 10 yrs or so you may not pass.

6. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Its been brought to my attention that hair sample testing might only be good for a year.Might want to check it out.I am unsure.

Thanks ryan for the info.

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Not that Im advocating doing drugs and trying to get away with it. I was told that it was only good for about a year

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    these days u can walk up to a rig & they will hire you!!! But u are right that is the perfect job for single & no kids(offshore) and they do need cooks, only prob with that is the cooks they have know how good they have it & unless they die or retire it is hard to find that position open..

9. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey brother. i know of someone that works on oil rigs. let me contact them and see what kind of info i can find for you.

10. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    massey, a friend of mine lives in Louisana and flys out to offshore rigs to do their welding repairs. I'll talk to him if you want. He'd be able to tell you more about it from the inside. Give me a call

11. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    i appreciate all the advice so far. As of now it's just a thought. Although, the more I hear about the benefits and all I am considering it more and more. I'm gonna give you a ring sometime in the next couple days matt. We gotta canoe trip to plan this summer too..lol

12. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Go to "rigzone.com". You can fill out an online application and submit a resume. Do not send anyone any money. That is a joke!!! I been out here for over 10 years. Good job, great benefits and pay, and half the year off!!! I love it! Couldn't imagine going back to a "real" job again!

If you are in decent shape and don't mind some physical labor, roustabout positions are the way to go. You'll start out making more than cooks and the sky is the limit as far as promotions go.

13. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    Thanks for the link. Don't you think it would be easier for me to get my foot in the door as a cook/baker since it is my current occupation? I've been doing some research this morning and read that those recruiting agencies that require money are scams. I also read that most the cooks are employed through catering companies? And do you guys fish after work? lol

14. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Aaron, prior oilfield experience is not needed. I've seen a pile of hands come out here with McDonalds as there previous job. If you can pass a drug test and full physical, one of these drilling companies will hire you. The starting pay for roustabouts in the northern gulf right now is around 40 grand a year, for 6 months of work. This is entry level. Everyone has to start at the bottom. If you chose to go through a catering company for a cook job, expect to work a 14 on, 7 off rotation for less money than roustabouts. But, if thats what you like to do, more power to ya! Someone has to do it!!!LOL!!

I've been at this for a little over ten years. Spent 8 years in the northern gulf working for Ensco, and the last 3 years down here in the Southern Bay of Campeche for Noble. It's been real good to me!!!

You can actually go straight to the drilling companies websites also. Check out Ensco, Diamond, Pride, Rowan, Noble, Totco, Global Marine Santa Fe, Parker, Nabors, Attwood, Reading and Bates, Nordrill, Scorpion, Hercules, Trans Ocean, Noble, ........ that orta get ya started.

Let me know if I can answer any of your questions.

15. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Every day in the northern gulf!!!!:big_smile: Can't wet a hook down here in the Mexican division though!!!:sad2:

16. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Never been on an oil rig but i was a tankerman on a towboat for about 8 years. It was the best job i ever had, but got married and quit. Bad mistake on my part, both ways LMAO:smile2:

17. roberob3

roberob3 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    how are ya

my name is robert and im a new member of catfish. I also happend to stumble upon your reply towards a guy looking for line cook position on an offshore oil rig and noticed you work for one. I dont mean to pesture you or come on as a free loader, but im despritally trying to get an entry position on an offshore oil rig like a roustabout. But I have tried everything and invested money and time in this proccess for employment from faxing resumes to online applications. Im 19 but happen to meet all qualifications for an entry position from lumberjacking to construction. Im telling you all this because a buddy of mine told me I have to know someone in the industry who can refer me and help get my foot in the door. But I dont know anyone personally in this line of work. So I was wondering if you can give me a hand on getting me employed, im a hard worker and can start asap.

18. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Hey Robert. You must really want a job. If I was still in the gulf I'd give you a shot. But, I'm now in the overseas division, and weonly use national hands.

As long as you can pass a physical, drug test, do not have a criminal record, getting a job in the gulf should not be a problem. One thing that may hinder your attempts would be that you live in Maryland. In the gulf, you are responsible for your own transportation to the docks. That could get awfully expensive to be driving that far every 14 days. I have absolutely no idea if there are any rigs off the eaastern seaboard. I've never heard of any.

I'll be headed home from Mexico on the 22nd. You can give me a call next Monday or so at 318-617-6816. I can give you some phone numbers and names of the personnel directors for a couple companies. I will answer any questions you may have, and maybe be able to give you some good leads on getting hired. You really may have to consider relocating to the south if you really want to give this a go.

19. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I have to do the coordinating and record keeping for our drug testing program. The length of hair determines how far back you can go. 1 1/2 inches of hair is good for 90 days. This is the most common length used. 3 inches will go back approx 6 months and is the second most common. Rarely is hair tested for 1 year of history. This is because you need a 6 inch piece of hair. A lot of people do not have 6 inches of hair. Most people have a 1 1/2 inch piece of hair "somewhere" :big_smile: on there body though.