Offshore-Freeport, Texas

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by Texas_Select, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    I added some images to my photo section here on BOC of an offshore trip this month with some friends aboard a private yacht. We went out for 2 days to deep water. During the day we trolled many baits in search of sailfish and marlin. The seas were rough the first day and we only raised one sail that did not take a bait. We did however magage some big Wahoo and Mahi-Mahi. The second night after the seas laid down we found some blackfin tuna with diamond jigs then started chumming chunks of blackfin to raise yellowfin East of Nansen rig about 106 miles out and over 3000' of water. We filled the ice chests with tuna! I caught a PB 68" tuna and a 70" Wahoo. We all had a blast catching fish even with the tough conditions that first day at sea.

I told my wife I got yellowfin fever and will have to sell my 26' cuddy and get a bigger boat!

2. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Bill,

Sounds like you had a heck of a good fishin time down there. I'd always wanted to do something like that years ago when I lived in Freeport. But I was working in the oilfield at the time and we were usually always just too busy for me to be able to do that. And during the short times when we weren't that busy then it was a recuperation type of a thing... sleepin - sleepin... catchin up on other things... and always carrying a beeper and being on 24hr call.

I was plant manager for Hughes Drilling Fluids leasing dock space from Mobil. They had a facility and workboat slip (15' draft) just off the Inter-Coastal Canal on the North side at the Bryan swing bridge.

I liked living in Freeport in and of itself, and I still sorta miss it there. But I don't miss that ####'## beeper... or being on 24hr call 7 days a week month after month after month.

3. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Ohhh... but I WOULD like to go back down there someday and go off-shore fishing like you did!!!

Dave

4. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Sounds like a great trip. I still have a real deep sea fishing trip on my "bucket list."

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Nice fish there Bill!!!! Congrats, good to see ya around.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    sounds like a good trip.

7. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    Thanks brothers, yeah we had a blast and ready to do it again!

I added a sunset pic trolling baits that looks pretty cool. Look for a post after the next tuna trip.