Officially BAD on Lake Wylie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Aug 28, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    This is straight off the Duke Energy website:

"Duke Energy has closed all boat ramps at Allison Creek Access Area, three of the four ramps at Buster Boyd Access Area and one boat ramp at South Point Access Area to ensure public safety."

Copperhead access also has all ramps closed.

Nivens is the only access that is still open.

The lake is 5.5 feet below full pond.

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Guess that now would be about the time to start praying real hard for plenty rain!

3. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    All ramps remain open at Ebeneezer Park as of 4pm today. I don't see any clouds in the sky:sad2:

4. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    As of Sunday morning Nivens had water, and both ramps were open.

5. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Put my 14 footer back in the lake. No problem on launch at Ebeneezer. The water is low. Be careful.

6. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I was out on the pontoon this evening, but it is docked at the lake. It is amazing how empty the lake is and has been for the past couple of weeks. There were hardly any boats out on the water this afternoon. It looked like a December evening!! The guys at the marina are hurting. Their gas sales are way down.

The 100's and high 90's are going to moderate into upper 80's and lower 90's, but there is still no significant rain in sight. It may be weeks before we see a storm system that produces significatn rainfall.

Here is a quote from the Lake Wylie Pilot today, "...Currently, the basin is losing 2 percent of its storage capacity each week, and the rainfall total for this year is the lowest since Duke began record-keeping in 1971..."

The following closures are from the Pilot also:

Copperhead Island: All four ramps are now closed to boat traffic

Allison Creek: All four ramps at the access area are closed.

Buster Boyd: Three of four ramps are closed to boat traffic.

South Point: One ramp is closed to boat traffic.

7. dumpysinclair

dumpysinclair New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm wondering how long the Ebenezer ramps will stay open. I was hoping to do some fishing this wknd at Wylie but it sounds like it could be just out there getting burnt up! Does anyone recommend any spots, depths, etc. to try if launching from Ebenezer? I've only been out 3-4 times since I got my pontoon and I haven't even smelled a catfish, just bream.

8. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I cant tell you anything about Ebinezer, but Nivens had water last weekend. I will probally be out there tomorrow morning or the next. Little allison was pretty good drifting. It seemed that the fish were in 10 - 15 feet of water. I was using cut Bream. Good luck. PM me if you want anymore details

9. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    For us guys who dont have boats,well for me the fishin on wylie is great!Its very easy to find structure in shallow water to fish about day break.It sucks for all yall with boats but i gotta tell ya it sure is peacful with the ramps closed!Im still praying for rain!!

10. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "... i gotta tell ya it sure is peacful with the ramps closed..."

I fished one day this week and it was amazing!!! Like a 20 degree day in January!!!!!! There was only one other boat on the water.

BTW, like Billfish76 said, Nivens Access is the way to go. Plenty of water on the ramp there to launch about any fishing boat.

Lower temps will mean that the lake will drop at a lower rate due to less evaporation.