Off to Eufaula!

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Catfunk, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Catfunk

Catfunk New Member

State:
    OK
    Headed to Eufaula next weekend and me and the wife need to know about a good spot or two to camp/fish for a couple of days. Neither of us have been before so any help is great. Not lookin to land a record cat but good eating size is a plus and all fishing will be done from the bank. Any suggestions? All I plan to take for bait is cut shad so I would appreciate any other suggestions on the bait too. OH, are there any licenses other than the state lic. required there? Thanks-

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    There are several nice campgrounds on Eufaula, and it's so big, which one you choose really depends on which direction you're coming from.

Gentry Creek, on 266 west of Checotah, would be a good choice if you're coming in from OKC.

But...camping in August? Dude. Yer gonna have the place to yourself, for sure.

3. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    There are two camping areas near the Dam should you wish to try yur luck fishing the waters below the dam.

Dam Site North & Dam Site South. I understand that both are developed campgrounds with restrooms and showers.

A person can fish from the bank at the North Site or walk closer to the dam spillways. Shad can be netted below the dam in still water.

But, the fishing will depend upon whether or not water is being released over the dam, so I've been told.

All my fishing has been in a boat, so I'm at a loss when it comes to good bank fishing at Lake Eufaula.

Attached is a photo of showing fishing below the dam taken in May 2007. Also, is a link that may be helpful to you.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71887

Attached Files:

4. Catfunk

Catfunk New Member

State:
    OK
    So is it OK with the law to throw a cast net at Eufaula? How about the fishing license thing? Any ideas? And thanks a million so far gents-

5. gbh61

gbh61 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It is perfectly legal to throw a cast net at Eufaula to catch your shad or perch. if you catch a game fish in your net( bass, crappie, channel, blue catfish, etc.), you must immediately return them to the water. As far as fishing licenses, you must possess a resident fishing license to fish on any public waters in Oklahoma. Along with the fishing license, you must purchase the Oklahoma Legacy permit. The license and the permit are 25.00. Hope this helps.

6. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    what is the legacy permit? when was this a requirement? this is the first i have ever heard of it. i have a lifetime combo so i really never pay much attention to license fees and such.

7. gbh61

gbh61 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you are a lucky owner of a lifetime fishing and or hunting license, you are thereby exempt from purchasing the legacy permit

8. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    In accordance with the Oklahoma Wildlife Dept.:

• The following persons are exempt from the purchase of the Fishing and Hunting Legacy Permit: Residents under 18 or 64 years of age or older; those who have a lifetime hunting, fishing or combination license; those who have a senior citizen lifetime fishing, hunting or combination license; residents who have a 5-year disability fishing/hunting license; those fishing on Lake Texoma with the Lake Texoma license; nonresidents under the age of 14; nonresidents under the age of 16 from states that do not require nonresident fishing licenses for youth under the age of 16; everyone fishing during Oklahoma’s Free Fishing Days; and those who are otherwise exempt from an annual fishing license.

9. Catfunk

Catfunk New Member

State:
    OK
    so in addition to the $$ you have to drop on the license you also have to spend $25.00 on the legacy permit? Tell me that is wrong please! Seems like they always want more and more from us-

10. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Andru,
    The license and legacy permit TOGETHER are $25.00. Regretfully, the above posted ways are the only way to get out of paying it.

11. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    If you think that's bad, check out what the fine folks south of the (Red) river (ya know... Texiz) have to shell out to fish and hunt...

You are helping pay for new lands to hunt and fish on. There's a new access point for the Illinois River that has a "trophy trout" area and over 300 acres of upland hunting just last year. More is coming...

Don't begrudge an additional fee when virtually all of the money is being spent making more and better access to more and more hunting and fishing in Oklahoma.

Try to go deer hunting in Texis. You'll have to buy a non-resident license, a tag for each animal you intend to hunt, and pay a rancher $1,500.00 to $5,000.00 for the privelege of hunting on a small patch of ground.

We got it good here in Oklahoma.

12. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Well, of course they do!

However, the annual Legacy Permit fee is ONLY $5.00.

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/onlinesales/onlinesalesintro.asp

I must admit that the Permit Valid Period dates (8/2/2008-12/31/2008) as shown on the above OK Wildlife Site is very confusing! But, then again I'm confused most of the time anyway!:smile2:

13. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    the permit is 5.00. try below the dam. havent been in a few weeks but was catching stripers by day and blues by night.the blues wasn't big one but they were eaters.

14. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have no problem paying the extra, we have it pretty good in Oklahoma, compared to other states I have fished. The money is well spent, I can say that.

15. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I agree that the money is well spent!

In a month or so I will be going to the OK Fish Hatchery at Medicine Park to pick up some little fish to stock my small pond.

Some great people work at these Hatcheries!

16. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    over here in oklahoma we are seeing that money put to use. below tenkiller dam they bought 300 acres for fishing and hunting. its called wats landing. Gave us a new stretch of river for trout fishing and a trophy zone. Use to be able to fish the stretch of river but you had to pay by person and day. Good money for good things. when they raised the trout stamp. i was a little weary .though it might have been a way to make some more money for the pockets. but have seen how they have used it in my back yard and to good use it went. got to make a trip to broken bow oklahoma for some trout fishing. havent been there is years. got to see how they use the trout money down there to. i thought i was fishing new water. didnt reconize the place. i dont mind the permets if the money is used where they say its going to be used. we have water and hunting every were in oklahoma. but its privet land. not that much public land like some states. well thats what i think about it

17. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Andru; The Bluecat bite is good here, but getting shad there is tough, you might want to throw a Sibiki rig for Skipjacks, they have been running turbines in the evenings.