Off To Bartlett

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by AZflats, Feb 16, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Howdy Brothers.
    ~ Heading down to Bartlet this weekend!
    Anyone reporting any recent successes? I was hoping the warm weather was going to stick around, but looks like it will be clowdy and cool..
    ** No bother, An't gonna stop me!

* I will keep everyone posted if I do good.

Take care~

2. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    i too am headed to bartlett this weekend. i think i might go out sunday mourning and fish all mourning and afternoon. probably hit up some deep water and hope a flathead comes along. good luck this weekend

3. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I am going Saturday. I will be landlocked and going to try fishing off of the Rattelsnake cove area "pier". Never tried there before hope that pier is accessable. If not it will be back to SB cove. I was there last week and it was not productive at all. Good luck to ya!!!!

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Hey guy's, best of luck to all of you! Have a safe and happy trip!

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Howdy,
    Well, I got lucky and found one flatthead up the river near the big rock pile, 11 lbs..
    Nailed him on a live gill around 5am, (photo attached)
    * Other than that, I caught about 20 channels. Raw shrimp seems to be the magic channel cat bait.
    * I have a good feeling about this summer though, I think someone will set some records! The water will probably get real low, condencing the fish and providing pleanty of nice beaches near rock piles to fish off of..

ARE YOU READY???
    * How did everyone else do?

Attached Files:

6. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Sweet when you say up river by the rock pile you talking about Shiprock? I shore fished just East of the no wake bouyes and the fish werent interested in anything except worms. Didnt have a hit untill around 4:30 PM then it was alittle more exciting untill around 7:30PM when it seemed to turn off. I agree that with lowering water levels it should make things interesting. I prefer the lake level to be around 70-75% It makes it easier for me to find the "Honey Holes". Glad to see you posted the picture and thanks for sharing it with us. I am sure we will meet up soon at the lake. I am planning on going again this weekend without my boat.

7. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    i couldn't make it out last weekend but congratulations on the fish. how deep where you fishing and how far up the river?

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Good morning,
    I beleive it is called shiprock. I have caught some decent fish in this area when the water was realy low. I remember a few years back when the water was low, the sand beach below it was exposed and the bluegills were spawning in a little cove area behind the rock pile. I fished that area at night and got a nice stringer, a few close to twenty pounds.

Matthew,
    My boat was sitting above 22 feet of water. I did that becouse I wanted to fish crappie at the same time.. I had a few poles casted into the channel around 35', but I got that fish directly below the boat where I beleive the rocks and the sand bottom meet. A very slow night with 1 crappie and zero channels. I woke up to my drag pealing off around 5.
    * During the day, the channels were everywhere. I could not find a bad spot.

* If you see a pontoon boat with what appears to be holding a hundred fishing poles, thats me. Stop by and say howdy!
    ~Take care~

9. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Az Flats. I have fished that area many many times. Actually it is my primary fishing area when I take the boat. I have caught numerous flats in that area not mention several "larger" channels.That whole area from the no wake bouyes up to devils hole is really good. I will be out there again this weekend shore fishing about 1/2 mile East of the no wake bouyes. I think I have seen your boat last summer heading up river. We will meet up some weekend in the near future and say hello. Have you ever fished across from the primary launch ramp/ marina? I have heard it is another hot spot but have never tried it. BTW what was the water temp in the area you were fishing?

10. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Sounds like yall are doing fine. I am missing Arizona right about now with this 20 degree weather, snow, and ice we have been having here in Oklahoma. Bartlett sure sounds nice about now! Hope you catch a bunch. I will have to wait a month or two before I start getting out.

11. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Azflats, I got a question for you concerning Bartlett. Is there still brush in the water along the shore? I was there in April last year for the first and only time and really liked the looks of all the brush for crappie when they move up to spawn. Just wondering if it still like that. For me to get to Bartlett from up here in northern Az is quite a haul and was just wondering how the brush situation was before I decide to go there. If not I'll be fishing Rosey for crappies. Only a little over 2 hours from my house to the lake. Won't be long and the flats will start running in Rosey again. I can hardly wait. Thanks for any info you can give me.....Azcatman

12. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I havent been up the river in my boat yet this year but they are lowering the water level in Bartlett. Last i checked it was around 77% full. The brush that came up last year due to all the rain would for the most part be on shore now. You may be able to find some brush the further up the river you go. If the water level hits 70% or so it will expose the area around yellow cliffs were the treelimbs are which has always proved to be a good area. I have never heard of Rosey, I will have to take a look for it on the map.

13. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for info Tym2fish. That's pretty much the way I figured it would be. When I speak of Rosey I'm talking about Roosevelt Lake. It is about an hour and half out of Phoenix on 87 headed north towards Payson. It will be one of the hottest lakes around this year. As matter of fact it already is for bass and the crappie should be turning on real soon. Plenty of brush in the lake so I guess I'll just fish it. Pretty much my home lake anyway. Been going there for the last 35 or 40 years. Good luck on your future fishing trips and I hope you get yourself a biggun!!!!

14. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    LOL... Duh I should have known. The reports have it sounding good. I havent fished roosevelt in a long time. I just perfer to go to Bartlett because its a 45 min drive from my house to waters edge. I have heard a lot of good things but have never had much luck there. Some day I will try again maybe even try to connect with someone who has a little experience on the lake.;) Good luck to you as well. Why the H@#$# is my typing changed?:sad: If you ever want to make a coop trip to Bartlett send me a pm and we will see if we can work a weekend date out.:006:

15. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    You should go up there. It will be encredible this year!!!! The cat I'm holding up or make that struggling to hold up in my avatar came out of Rosey last year. We had a couple of really good nights down there last year in Aug. Had a hard time finding the cats before that then had 3 trips where we caught fish from 18 lbs to the 65+ lb fish that I'm holding. If you go to the photo gallery and look at what's popular you can see a couple of pic's of some cat's we caught in one night.Let me know if you decide to head to Rosey and I'll help you out anyway I can. Might even be at the lake. I go down there every chance I get. If I decide to head down to Bartlett I'll let you know and maybe we can hook up (no pun intended);) I have a 20' foot champ so no problem fishing wherever we need to go on the lake. I would like to learn it better. When I was down there last year it was still full of debris so I really didn't see much of the lake. Thanks again for all the info.

16. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    2 fish,
    The water temp, or at least the surface temp was pretty cold still. 52 degrees in the middle of the night. I ain't jumping in quite yet.

~ I did not notice any exposed brush, even up the river. When I fish for crappie, I never activly search for them. I will drop the light in the water when I am fishing for cats and hope the shad start balling up, cause if they do, then I can usualy keep entertained with the little slab sides.

17. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Azcatman- thanks for for the info. I will check out the pics as well. I will make it my duty to make at least one trip this summer to Rosey. I will let you know and see if we can find a mutual three or four day span when we both could go. I have a 28ft Party Barge and dont have much trouble going anywere either and would also have plenty of room. Now I am all hyped up and ready to go. Also there was hardly any debris on the lake the last time I was out.

AzFlats- Thanks for the water temp info. I am hoping that this weekend proves more fruitful than last. I think with these last few days of temps in the high 70's and the decreasing water level should make a difference.

Fish On Brothers:)

18. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Wow a 28 footer!!! That's a big one. We normally fish out of 20" and it can get a little crowded when you have 4 guys on board with all the rest of the stuff ( beer coolers):rolleyes: if you know what I mean. keep in touch and maybe we can work on some dates that will we both can meet. Headed down to Rosey tomorrow and going to try and catch crappie. If not I'm sure the bass will be cooperating. Sure beats working for a living

19. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Good luck and let us know how you did. I was going to try and make it to Bartlett again (for the fourth straight week) but decided that it would be better to accomplish a few things around the homestead before the fishing really heats up.

I would say it sure beats fishing!!!! Only 3 and one half years left for me than I will be able to retire from my current job....:)

20. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey your 2 years ahead of me!!!!! I can't wait. Had hopes of retiring with my fishing partner but that looks like it won't happen. Oh well hopefully it all works out for all of us and we can spend some time on the lakes together someday. Nothing better that fishing with people you enjoy being with and having a great day on the water. Those are times you never forget!!!! Looking forward to fishing with you in the near future....Azcatman