Off the Wall Catfish Baits

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by bigtimingcats69, Mar 13, 2006.

1. bigtimingcats69

bigtimingcats69 New Member

State:
    Stuart, Virginia
    Does anyone around here have any off the wall baits that are effective. Ive heard of the soap bars, never used it. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

My Grandpa says anytime to go fishing is a good time to go fishing!!!:)

2. mjokerr

mjokerr New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I have heard grapes,go figure, I tried them before bought seedless,seeded,purple and green but no luck.My friend says his friend fishes with nuthing else.I dont think he catches to much either.lol

3. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    hmm there are some good links ill go look for some and post again in a few mins...

4. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i herd of a kid catching a bass on a apple slice.

him and his dad went down to a lake, they had some worms but his dad wouldnt let him use any till dark so he cut up a peice of apple and put it on a hook and caught large bass on it, maybe like 6 or 7 pounds cant remeber tho.
    well chicken liver is verry common but if you think about it who tried it first? and why did they try it? then you got hot dogs, cheese, cant forget the bubblegum, and bread. i would say almost any bait we use for cats is weird besides natural or cut bait because the fish dont normaly come across livers or hot dogs in the rivers and lakes.

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ive tried everything in the house that was going bad, from Peperoni & old Ham

6. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    has anyone else heard of the previous world record blue cat being caught on a big ol chunk of spam?i think i read that in IN FISHERMAN.i can remember a couple of years ago we slaying 5-20 lb cats on a smaller river right after we got a bunch of rain and we ran outta bait so we started cutting up the smaller catfish and using them as cutbait and continued to pull in monster channels!i was really surprised to see that cat fish were canibals!

7. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've caught channels on spam in ponds. I would be really surprised if a record blue was caught with one.

8. HHinNC

HHinNC Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I raised an eyebrow when my son-in-law showed up at the pond with his favorite bait.....uncooked bacon from the fridge. Danged if he didn't show me up by catching several nice cats in the 6 lb. range.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    A world record blue was caught a few years ago here in Arkansas using Spam for bait. Fishing from the bank near the I55 or railroad bridge across the Mississippi River at W. Memphis. The way I heard the story, he would have lost the fish if a guy hadn't come along with a boat and let him in so he could fight the fish from the boat. I think the record only stood for a year or so before a larger blue was caught.

10. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I was fishing for carp with homemade strawberry doughballs and kept catching channels! No one else was catching and they kept looking up the bank at me! (strawberry jello mixed with corn flour or wheaties) It is a lot more pleasant to smell! Hannibal Mike

11. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    I make a bait with spam, limburger cheese and wheaties and it works really well and smells terrible.
    If you crappie fish and make your own bait - save the eggs and mix them in your concotion it makes a big difference.

12. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I saw a guy take a piece of white anchor rope and rig it carolina style. Darned if he didnt catch fish. Mostly bass, but a few cats too. He just laughed and said he liked to see what a fish would hit. I have in the old days used pul tops for perch. Worked pretty well.