Of special interest ...

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RetiredToFish, Jan 9, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I know that many on here are also hunters and some trappers. It is a constent battle at this time in our history over gun control ... so I have come across a site that pretty well covers the day to day battle over our right to bear arms and thought many of you might be interested ....

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/

Also ... another piece of information that might be of interest to many of you ... is before moving back to Ohio I was reading in a Florida newspaper that there is a group of "Tree Huggers" that want to do away with lead sinkers in fishing .... they say to many sinkers are being lost in the waters and there is the possibility that it could cause contamidation to the water, fish and other aquatic wildlife, as well as fish eating and wading birds ....

So prepare yourselves .... it is coming ..........

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    So lets use the TREE HUGGERS fer weight and bait:wink: I tell you peta and asll the other finatics just aint right

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You know what I don't get Garry?
    My DNR says in its yearly bulletin, DO NOT EAT more than 8oz of fish per month from 90 percent of our state waters. WHY? Cause the Mercury content (metal) is at levels unsafe for human consumption. How many of you use Mercury sinkers? Everybody right? That's the only way all that Mercury could get into the water I guess. Oh I may be wrong, What is the lead content of the fish we eat? Anyone know?

4. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    im a liberal myself ----and a gun owner.the right to bear arms is the right of every american and should always be that way.as far as the lead weights,have you guys seen the price on some of the tungsten and alternative weights.if i had to buy them i dont think i could afford to fish.

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I have been doing a little more research into the hassel about the lead sinkers and what I can find out it all started in Canada over the Loons ingesting it and of course some of our "Environmentally Challanged" people picked up on it and continue to push it. Already in Canada, in some areas, it is illeagl to use a lead sinker under 1/2 ounces.

S_MAN ... When I worked for the Division of Wildlife back in the 70s it was determined that over 90% of the mercury in a fish was located in the bones and the skin and not in the meat itself. Mercury is not only present most everywhere in small amounts, in days gone by most manufacturers of everything dumped all of it's waste and waste water into the streams, lakes and rivers. The paper mills were one of the largest contributors to this problem along with steel mills and several other majors industries. Some mining operations release mercury particles into the waterways and all of this settles to bottom and has accumulated over time.

I read sometime back that in one of the New England states, they tore out a roller damn, like we have on the Muskingum River. When they did it killed most every fish for miles downstream. When they did a study they found that for more than a hundred years the heavy metals had been accumulating behind these roller damns and when the damn was destroyed it released all of it. This state then contracted with a company to come in and they removed all of the build up behind the other dams to be removed and to remove the damns for no cost to the state, because the dollar value of this sludge was so great that the contractor was more than compensated for his work by selling the heavy metals.

I hope that gives you a little more insite to the problem that could face us in the future.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    very interesting facts Garry. I really enjoy reading posts like this, that are educational and informative.. thanks for sharing... rollo

7. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Garry,
    I agree with rollo, I really enjoy facts like these, very interesting. What area were those dams in?

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Thank you guys ... I can't remember, but seems like it was Maine or Vermont ... I will check some more and see if I can find the exact place.

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Garry, I was just trying to point out that our waterways are already more polluted from farm runoff, industry waste, raw sewage and the like that the "tree huggers" should start with that stuff before they start picking on sinkers. If they could eliminate all the other pollution in the water first, I'd bet the effects of lead sinkers would be imperceptable.