Of Mice or....baitfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by stitch, Mar 9, 2007.

1. stitch

stitch New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Has anybody ever fished with live mice? I have a buddy who caught a cat years ago and when he cut open the belly he found a mouse. I have also known large bass to bite on "rat lures". Knowing how flathead are predators, I would think that mice would be prefered the same as, if not more than, live black perch. If they could find them on top of the water, that is. Any comments, suggestions, experiance? Thanks.:smile2:

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Have watched many of bass eat mice that I have thrown into a pond. Most the time they don't make it very far before they get taken down.

3. stitch

stitch New Member

State:
    Kansas
    lol :happy: thanks. I wonder how you could tie a hook onto one of those little suckers without being too cruel.... and I wonder if you could raise them for fishin....

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    You're fixin to drown it or hope it gets eatin by a flathead and ya are worried about bein cruel? Give me a break. LOL!

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    They work....wear leather gloves cause they will bite you. My buddy raised rats five years ago for limblining flatheads. You take the hook and run it through the back of the neck and only give them enough room to swim in a small circle with no weight. They will swim for a very long time until a flathead searching the banks for food find them. We caught quite a few but there too much trouble and I haven't done it since then.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If you don't wanna injured or be cruel to the mice, I'm sure you could figure a way to tape, rubberband, or thread the hook to one of its legs.

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Whats the difference between a mouse or minnow or crawfish or frog

8. stitch

stitch New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i dunno i was just wondering...are all baits created equal? around here everybody fishes for flats w/ black perch. would it make any difference on catch number and size if you used something else....frog, minnow, mouse? Or is a hungry flat just simply a hungry flat?:confused2:

9. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    my dad use mice lures for musky, caught tons of musky by the weedbed. but never use live mice for fishing..

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    The topic bothers me, as it seems everytime a mouse dies somewhere, another product is born or taken away....another habit becomes unhealthy, etc.
    Long live the mice. Besides who don't love Micky.
    :crazy:

11. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I dont think they would be any good fishing in the main river, you have to use weight in the river, it would only take 2 minutes for the mouse to drown, then there goes your live bait..Plus I am one who believes that the best bait for catfish is food that is natural in the river system they are in..I dont know of too many rivers where mice are a main food source for catfish.

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I caught a 17" brown trout with a field mouse in its stomach. If you want to use a mouse for catfish, you can get them or order them at a petshop prekilled & frozen or you can just wack it on something hard to dispatch them. thats what alot of pet shops do before feeding it to the snakes. I personally prefered live mice for the eastern kingsnake I kept.

13. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i've seen yella cats eat small ducklings. so i used some small birds for bait. they r much cuter than mice, and mice and other small animals fall into the water all the time. Just as natrual as a perch swimmin around

14. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have seen a bass come up and hammer a live mouse but I have never herd of or seen a flathead gulp down a mouse. I am sure they probably would.

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If it is legal in your state then I see no reason not to use them, but I would draw the line at soaking them in WD40. lol :eek:oooh: :big_smile: :lol:

16. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    Baby pinky's make great bait for channels.

There are plenty of them to go around. I watched a show on animal planet a while back that said two breading mice producing health off spring and counting for preditors can in total make 5,000 new catfish baits a year!!!!!!!

Dip in garlic and have at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    man o man PETA's gonna be on you guys like stink on mouse poop!:lol: maybe you should lube him up with some sonny's or danny kings!

18. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I've never used live mice, but yesterday I cought a couple of young muskrats with my dog, he was digging around and found them I threw them into a bucket and I was going to cut them up and use them for fishing today but my dad said I would be hartless to kill a couple cute little muskrats so I let them loose. If my dad didnt have souch a soft spot in his heart for wildlife I could of told you guys how it worked.

19. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have found mice and small squirrels in flatheads. It's not odd to find small turtle, water snakes, water fowell...you name it. The strangest thing I found in a fish was a beer bottle...why he ate I will never know.

20. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    aint got a problem puttin a hook through a perch and throwin him back in his element........but the whole mouse treadin water kinda sounds cruel wheather your hooking, taping, or wiring the thing to a limb..just my opinion