ODWC biologist needs your help!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by tkishkape, May 2, 2006.

1. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The ODWC is currently performing a study of the Blue Catfish in Grand Lake and Eucha. Their manpower is streched thin and they could use the help of Oklahoma Catfishermen.

When you catch a blue catfish and intend to kill it, first record the length, weight, location of catch (river section or lake name) and date caught. Write the data on the plastic bag you will use, then remove the head of the fish, place it in the bag and freeze.

When you get a good number of the heads in your deepfreeze, or when you just run out of room, contact
    Jeff Boxrucker, ODWC Sr Biologist at (405) 325-7288 fax: (405) 325-7631, jboxrucker@odwc.state.ok.us and make arrangements for him or an ODWC employee to pick them up.

The biologists remove the ooliths (ear bones) from the heads and count the annular rings to determine the age of the fish. The accompanying data will allow the ODWC to determine growth rates for the particular body of water.

The blue catfish is quickly becoming an important species in the State and must be studied to insure that there will be a good fishery in the future for our grandchildren and their grandchildren to enjoy.

Help if you can.

The initial results of the study are posted at www.okcharters.com/page14.html

2. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    That is good info. I dont fish there but Id help if I did. Those studies are interesting and beneficial. I always wished that the department had fish tags for us catch and release fishermen to use. Id love to have tagged some of the biggest fish Ive caught just so I and other fishermen could track them and record their growth as they are caught. Id especially like to see such a program for flatheads. Im completely in the dark about how far the fish I catch in my favorite stream travel. Anything to shed light on catfish is great in my book! I wish the department made use of us fishermen alot more!

3. PRITCHETTK

PRITCHETTK New Member

State:
    SALINA, OKLAHOMA
    I would help, but I only fish Hudson and Gibson and the pumpback. But this sounds very interesting.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Has anyone by any chance invited Jeff Boxrucker to become a member of the BOC????

5. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    This is the guy we need to start our BOC Catfish study to get some of that PETA Money or should I say money away from Peta. Marine Biologist is great for this type of cause and could make it nationwide.

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Fellas... the study is intended for any body of water in Oklahoma that contain blue catfish.

7. rwbrown1

rwbrown1 New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    Will do!!!!!:wink: