ODW Changes

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by AwShucks, Jan 6, 2009.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Normally in January, the Dept. of Wildlife holds some seminars to discuss proposed legislative changes. Has anyone heard if and when they will be having the hearings this year?

2. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Check the website http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/wl_news.htm and go to the newletter. I signed up for it and it is e-mailed to me about 0nce a week. They are having oepn forums I know one is at Jenks on Jan. 12th and I am going to try and be there. The major one that I seen that will affect us Catfisherman is a new regulation to only allow one Bluecat over 30 inches in the daily limit. an a new 5 year hunting and fishin license is being offered

if you want a copy of the last e-mail pm me with your e-mail address and I will try send it to you

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
  4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If the 30 " length limit is imposed i wonder how this will effect tournament anglers? I assume just keep cullin when you get one that goes 31". Also will this be state wide or just certain waters?

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I'm pretty sure it will be for all waters. Now as far as tourney guys goes since there mainly catch and release after weigh in they would be exempt for that rule I'd imagine....other states do this to allow tourney fisherman to hold more than whats typically allowed. I plan on trying to make it and I'm sure this question which is a good one will be asked/explained.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Personally a blue over 30" is gettin fat and tough as far as eating goes. I think it's probably a good ruling. Hope they do the same thing for flatheads.

7. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The OKC meeting is to be held on Jan 12th, 2009 at 7:00 PM at ODWC HQ auditorium.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    George, I see in the 2009 fishing pamphlet where they said limb lines can now be of non-metallic fabrication, which would allow the pvc pipes. But, on page 7 where it talks about seines, it still states "minnows" instead of "non-game fish". Any ideas as to whats up? I'll be there Monday night, and Tuesday night also. LOL

9. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Lawrence I sent you a copy of the e-mail I got let me know if it did not go through and I will send it again.

10. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Lawrence- I double checked last night with my catfishing buddy with the Department and he confirmed that the reg change regarding seining minnows is one of the topics to be presented at the hearings. See you on Mondat night.

11. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The ODWC OKC hearing went quite smoothly. The 2 topics that brought all the attention was the 30" minimum length limit on blues and the bear hunting issue. There were 2 protesters against the recomendation and 1 who was polite and a supporter of the change. In a private discussion outside the meeting he talked about the decline of the huge blues from Santee Cooper due to overharvest. He mentioned the decline from the Missouri River between Iowa and Nebraska. I did not take the opportunity to ask if he was a BOC member. I hope he might post a comment or two if he is a member.
    The two protesters were both trotliners and they were totally opposed to ANY change in the regs. They target ONLY big fish and would not drive 3 hours to trotline for just 1 fish. They were upset but polite.

12. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I'm gonna have to agree with the trotliners, a limit this low makes no sense, the only ones who could possibly think this is a good idea is trophy fishermen, and people who don't know how big a 30in bluecat actually is. 30in sounds like a big fish, but it's really only around 12 pounds. Fish this size are common, no matter what means of fishing you're using, if this goes into effect, all your gonna have is a bunch of people breaking the law. I think people who can only get out a few times a year, or have to drive a long way to fish would really be affected by this limit.

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I am probably in the bleeding heart minority. I think the only reason anyone wants large fish is just because of their ego. It is more impressive to say I caught a 40 pounder than it is to say I caught 5 10 pounders. But, the quality of meat is better with the 5 10 pounders, there is not as much toxic stuff in the flesh, and their heads are not mounted on fence poles to show the prowess of the fisherman. It is not saying you can't catch more than one 30 inch fish in a day, just you can't keep more than one. Guides could just offer photographs and certificates to their clients which would probably satisfy the most of them. After all they caught the fish, had the fight, got the proof, and the fish is still alive to give someone else a thrill.

14. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    According to the survey done by Jeff Boxrucker, a 30in bluecat on average is only around 12 pounds. I don't consider this to be a large fish and definetly not a "trophy". Fish this size are very good eating but you'll only be able to keep one of these a day. I e-mailed my views on this this subject to the ODWC and that's about all I can do, whatever happens, happens. If it passes I guess I'll just have to start fishing with smaller hooks and bait while using a Zebco 33. I'll have no need for my Abu's or jugs, because I don't think I'll get any enjoyment from throwing back fish over 12 pounds that I would love to have in my freezer.

15. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl

Wow...... sorry, dude but you're starting to sound like a "fish-hog" and I think that's exactly what they intended this new restriction for. It's the jugliners and the fish-hogs that have ruined several outstanding lakes in our state. Keep one good fish a day, release all hte other bigguns & then keep all the smaller fish up to your limit. What's so hard about that? If you're any kind of a fisherman, you can fill your freezer with better tasting small fish anyway.

For the record, I'm absolutely-positively-without-a-doubt 100% in favor of the new regulation. I think it's a phenomenal idea and I've supported it from its inception.

16. 5511

5511 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I can't disagree with protecting a trophy fishery. There are length limits imposed on a variety of fish all over the country. I do think that this restriction is a bit of overkill. A 12# blue is not a trophy nor is it on the verge of being one.

17. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I too agree with this new reg.The men that protested this,may have a vested interest in big fish.Illegal fish sale is sadly very common here in south east oklahoma.Even Jimmy Houston claimed on tv to have paid his way through college by trotlining !!!!I realize that there is a lot of tradition with selling the act of cleaning fish,then giving the fish for free!maybe if the acts ( and illegal snagging),were better prosocuted we could leave length limits alone and enjoy the awesome tradition of huge okie cats.

18. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    There's a part of me that hopes it does pass, just to hear all the supporters cry when they find out a lot of fish they had been keeping exceeds the length limit.

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    like any other law that has ever been passed, the individual must decide wether he or she is going to comply with the law. There will be a lot who will keep all the fish they catch, no matter the size and no matter the creel limits. I can not understand the comment that the resource is there for them, when the way I look at it is the resource is there for me too.

20. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    If this doesn't pass it will be because of the catfishermen of Souteastern Ok., because that is where the majority of real catfishermen in this state live.