ODNR passes the rule, no break for tournaments

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by metalman, Oct 9, 2009.

1. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I sent the following to th Ohio DNR

This is the reply I got:

The proposed regulation for catfish has passed and will be implemented in 2010. Thank you for your support of this regulation, which is intended to protect our trophy catfish fishery. We will not be allowing exemptions for tournament anglers. Doing so would not be fair to non-tournament anglers and distinguishing tournament from non-tournament anglers would be difficult for our law enforcement officers by creating ambiguity between who is a tournament angler and who is not.
    These regulations should not detract from the growing popularity of catfish fishing and tournaments, but rather showcase how good catfish fishing is in Ohio and continue to protect populations that support this fishing.
    Thanks for asking,

Scott Hale

Am I right in thinking that the Ohio river between OH and KY is "owned" by Kentucky? If so can the ODNR enforce this on the Ohio River???

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you buy a KY liscense you aren't bound by OH laws.

3. Scott C.

Scott C. Member

State:
    NKY
    I support the rule too. However, it will do little if anything to protect our fishery unless KY and IN do the same thing!

The commercial fisherman who normally launch out of OH will now just drive 15 minutes across the river.

This rule will in fact hamper any tournaments launching out of OH. I don't think you can weigh illegal fish in an Ohio parking lot (launch ramp) regardless if you have a KY/IN license or not.

4. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I think scott is right.I know we used to get in the same dilema down in south western Ky on crappie.We have had a 10 inch size limit for a while in Ky.In Tn. at that time crappie had no size limit even though we fished the same body of water.If you had a tn. license you could keep short fish but if they caught you Launching or retrieving your boat at a ky ramp every fish short was $59.50 in fines.On another note maybe Ky will follow the lead of Oh. , If it helps the catfish like it did for crappie we will all be better off.I do wish we had a way to implement a tourney exception though.:big_smile:

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Somehow it seems the playing field is still level. Tournament anglers can still catch and keep the legal size fish, then the additional fish. If the weigh-in is in pounds, the pounds and ounces will still be there. Instead of a sixty or seventy pound weight at weigh-in, the total will probably be around thirty to forty pounds. A winner of the tournament can still be established, and, in another thread recently on the board, most tournament anglers said they did not fish the tournament for the money. Seems this way most of the anglers are in a win - win situation. The only ones who lose are those who fish for their ego.

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I know our SW Ohio Catfish club with our Ohio River tourneys are watching this very close as well. I agree that it would certainly help if KY also matched it as it would surely hurt the Comercial guys for several years until they took every smaller fish and then there would be none left to actually get bigger then the slot limit. Cant win for loose with this one I am afraid!

Salmonid

7. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    So let me get this straight. I can only weigh in with one catfish of that size if it's out of Ohio? :eek:oooh:

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Are you saying it will increase commercial harvest of smaller fish? I may be off base, but I was of the impression that they already were keeping every catfish they catch.

9. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati

Some do and some only take the larger fish. There is a paylake around me that has 4 smaller lakes...3 of them are for larger fish that are C&R only....but this past year they opened the 4th one for catch and take. It is filled with flatheads and channels under 15 pounds for people to take as many as they want. These are NOT farm raised fish.

Kind of sad.

I think it is a good law....I think they should still put a bag limit on cats as well and hopefully KY and IN will follow suit with something similar.

10. Scott C.

Scott C. Member

State:
    NKY
    If they're not in it for the money that only leaves the EGO so this IS a LOSE-LOSE.

Again, I like the intentions of the law and I guess one of the states has to start somewhere but I don't see it helping the fishery until KY climbs on board. The only thing this law does now is keep the meat hunters from sticking their knives in more than one 34+ inch fish which I don't think happens that often anyway. Most people don't eat the fish out of this pool (for good reason) and the ones that do are usually fishing with night crawlers and chicken livers so their potential to catch a trophy is limited anyway.

The biggest problem I've seen that has the serious potential to damage our fishery are the commercial fisherman. I've watched those guys unload a few times and believe me when I tell you it will make you sick.:angry:

This law will just cause them to get their permits from KY and IN instead which can be done for about $100.

So, until KY follows suit the only people really harmed here ARE the Ohio tournament fisherman.

11. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with everything else you said, but this part.

This won't harm the tourney fisherman. It just makes the guys that can't get into all big fish on a more even playing field as the guys that always catch the trophies. The only thing it will harm the folks that think you have to have lots of weight to look good.

I'm not familiar with most Ohio River tourney's, but I would think it would make things a bit more competitive.

12. catdaddychad

catdaddychad New Member

State:
    indiana
    one thing the tourney promoters can do is something we been doing locally, make their tourney a shootout style with a one fish limit. This also helps the anglers who don't have huge livewells to support a bunch of 40 pounders.

13. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    that isn't true if you are fishing from an ohio bank at least the way i was told. same with an Ohio license fishing from one of ours. for example we have no rod limit in KY and in ohio, there is a two rod limit. there for if i fish the ohio side i have to scale back to two rods. same with my Sabaki rigs the ones i buy have 6 jigs on them and in ohio i can only use 3. see what im saying.

14. Scott C.

Scott C. Member

State:
    NKY
    I guess the way I see it whenever a change benefits some over others there is in fact some "harm." "Harm" may be a little too harsh of a word but you get my point. At the end of the day the winner of a tournament should simply be the guy(s) who went out and caught the biggest weight that day in the number of fish allowed to be weighed in (5 or whatever). That's the fundamental concept right?

I don't think this rule change will decrese the number of boats that fish these events and like I said earlier I'm all for any legislation that protects our fishery. Kudos to OH for being the first - now we just need KY and IN to follow suit. I'd gladly throw back a couple 35 lbers during a T if it meant the commercial fisherman were basically put out of business. I've personally watched some real commercial fishing pros unload well over 1000 lbs total weight of 25+ pound fish in the course of one day. And most of them were flatheads.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

Forgot about bank fishing on the OH side. When I wrote that I was thinking about tourney fishing from a boat. My train of thought was that the ODNR couldn't come out and check your boat and cite you for being over the ohio limit if you had a KY license.
    But I would bet that if you landed on the OH side and tried to weigh in 3 forty pounders you'd get a ticket no matter what license you had.
    So what will this law do? Force all tourneys over to the KY bank? Or at least the weigh-ins?

I really think its a good law but unless WVA, KY, and IN all adopt the same regs as OH, nothing will be different except us OH fishermen will be at a dissadvantage. Two poles and one fish for (OH) vs. unlimited poles and fish for (KY).

16. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Seems ok to me, it would be a change of strategy for tournys but not a deal breaker imo.

17. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It also would make for the better fisherman winning more. Right now I can be a so so fisherman and have a drift come across a mess of blues and win the tourny by luck. Now if you catch a 40" Blue and you want to be in the really big weight better switch up tactics and get a 40" flat in the boat with him.

18. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
  19. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I asked some simillar questions to Scott Hale earlier this week (Ohio DNR) and he is out of the office next week and I am to call him after the 19th and he will go over all the specifics that folks here have brought up. I also want to ask him what happened to the 3 rod limit that was also on the DNR questionaire and also will get an "official" update on the Ohio Blues stocking program, I have a bunch of info on that but am not supposed to divulge ( sp?) that info on a public forum yet. The specific question I want an answer on is if I have an KY License and then weigh in on Ohio Ramps ( the ones on the mainstream, not tribs) am I still bound to Ohio limits/laws. If so then our club may start launching at Scmidt, Public Landing and do the weigh in at Fredericks landing or one of the marinas, then have folks receive awards back at Schmidt. Just a thought...... :smile2:

Salmonid

20. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I changed my post cause I read that wrong, it says proposed change...SORRY

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009