ODNR e mail overload

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by lebeaux, Aug 20, 2007.

1. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I just sent an e mail to odnr voicing my concerns for the preservation of our flathead population. Anyone else who enjoys hunting these fish should do the same. The state can divert some funds for breeding and releasing non indiginous species for the sake of ensuring the survival of an apex predator... or so we should all hope. Please take a few minutes of your time and show the state that we care how our tax money is spent.

2. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I sent My email, Some bad news i haven't heard anything back from the odnr yet. I wondering if they are just ignoring me or has anyone else heard anything?

3. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I wouldn't be surprised if they are just ignoring you. I sent them three emails with a legitimate question about cast netting below dams in Ohio. Still to this day not one word from them. But remember our licenses and tax dollars go to pay them to listen to us. :confused2:

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you would have a better chance calling that 1 800 poacher number!!! then telling them your just calling wolf!! lol atleast then you would have someone on the line...the worst they could do is hang up on you.:smile2: rollo

5. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    I say a long as they are getting our e mails on a regular basis or calls they have to listen after awhile.:wink:

6. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I never heard back either. I don't expect too. If we all work together and keep e mailing them, @ least we're trying and they'll @ least have to address the issue on some level (we hope). I'm going to mail them every week for a while. I suppose after that I'll e mail or call the head of ODNR and get some answers. After all, they are PUBLIC employees and we are the PUBLIC. Heck, might as well e mail the Governor after that. At least our voices will be heard.

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I haven't gotten an answer yet either.

8. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Got a reply, This is the Email I received

Dear Flathead Catfish Enthusiasts,

Thank you for your support of flathead catfish conservation. I sincerely appreciate your interest and concern for one of Ohio’s largest native fishes. Greater appreciation of flathead catfish is long overdue and I welcome the increasing popularity of these giants as sportfish and recognition of their role as top predators in reservoirs and rivers. I also share your concerns regarding the illegal catch, transfer, and sale of flathead catfish and assure you that the Division of Wildlife considers such activity as serious a wildlife violation as poaching walleye, bass, deer, turkey or other wildlife.

The Division of Wildlife is responsible for conservation of flathead catfish and has taken action to protect large fish through an innovative length and creel limit combination implemented in 2006. The limit of one fish per day of 35 inches or larger effectively reduces harvest to ensure greater availability of mature fish for spawning and trophy fisheries. This is a very progressive regulation and we are ahead of the curve in protecting these large fish compared to neighboring states. Additional regulations can be implemented if necessary, but are currently unwarranted.

Restricting methods of anglers because you do not prefer to use them yourself can be a slippery slope. The Division of Wildlife believes that regulating the sizes and numbers of fish anglers are allowed to harvest is more effective than restricting methods. Some anglers prefer to fish with fly rods, others prefer to only cast, yet if we only allow fly fishing and casting, then people that enjoying using spinning or baitcasting tackle, or those that prefer trolling to casting, may miss opportunities. The use of trotlines, juglines, banklines, and floatlines is limited to very few areas of the state, and within these areas their use is restricted to a small portion of those waters; therefore, these methods are unlikely to compromise local populations and definitely do not impact statewide populations. If we find that this is not the case, we will increase restrictions on these methods. At this time, there is no reason to believe that this is a problem.

I am unsure why you believe that illegal activity or pay lakes are leading to the demise of flathead catfish. If illegal activity compromises flathead catfish, existing Ohio laws that prohibit sale of sport-caught fish and the fact that we do not have an inland commercial fishery should be adequate to protect flathead catfish populations. If you have information regarding illegal activity we would be very interested in tips regarding violations. Neighboring states that allow commercial fishers to harvest large catfish and sell them to pay lakes compromise their own populations, not ours, and we cannot regulate activities within their jurisdictions.

Feel free to contact me directly via e-mail or phone if you have additional concerns regarding flathead catfish conservation. Concerned anglers like yourselves are often the source of invaluable information that helps us better manage sport fisheries and we greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Scott Hale

9. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Hey Guys:

I sent the ODNR an e-male earlier this week and got that same respons efrom SCott Hale on Thursday. Nice to know we got a response, to bad it's some kind of generic, pad answer. I plan on continuing to make my voice heard.

10. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    That is the same one i just recieved.

11. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I responded with some hard facts so hopefully this helps a little

12. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    i sent some emails hope it helps

13. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    I was just wanted to know if anyone eles recieved any response from the dnr.

14. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I got the same "form" letter you probably got. Scott Hale ( or his secretary ) sent it.