ODNR discussing blue cat stocking

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by lebeaux, Oct 31, 2007.

1. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    The title should say it all folks! ODNR is considering stocking blues in inland OH waters. They got my vote ( wether they want it or not ):wink:

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Jason, that would be great news but I am curious where you heard that ?? any particular names you can drop into that conversation? I had sent a note to 2 of my DNR contacts about it once I saw the info about being moved off the endangered list and havent heard anything back from them so far. That was about 3 weeks ago...:sad2:

Salmonid

3. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I don't really care to drop a name but it came from an ODNR employee who works @ a state hatchery.

4. rustyhook36

rustyhook36 New Member

State:
    ohio
    The state of West Virginia has been stocking blues into the Ohio River. I read that they are stocking up to 26,600 per year. I just wish that Ohio would match that number. I have already been catching these small blues in the upper pools of the Ohio. They are very healthy and growing. As far as inland waters I think that the big protest about this will come from the (bass boys) Since these bassmasters spend a lot of money fishing they will have a loud voice on this subject. I have already heard some of my bass buddies that think that stocking blues will hurt bass fishing.

5. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    :smile2:Bring em on!

6. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    im no expert so please excuse my ignorance but ive heard the argument from bass guys about blues and flatheads hurting their sport-my thoughts are that bass fishing is fine in texas,the carolinas and all over the south where blues thrive.i sure wish the state would stock some blues!!!!!

7. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    well if they want to put them there ill be there fishing in a few years.....and i dont believe it can in any way hurt the bass fishing cause my family has a 3 acre pond it was only stocked 2 times in the 90's and the bass by far out number the channel cat....but i guess folks have diffrent out looks on the point of veiw.....so i support the stocking in both inland and river waters!!!!!

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    very good idea to stock blues in ohio several lakes and river in ohio can handle them ceasar creek lake the great Miami river scioto river muskingum River and grand lake st mary's to name a few. my word increase the chances for a big catfish i am all for that :big_smile:

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have heard through the grapevine that they are blues in Ceasar Creek, anyone know if there is any truth to that?:eek:oooh:

10. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    it would be nice 25 min drive from my apartment yes :roll_eyes: