Odds of getting shad at the Wateree dam?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by harper81, Sep 10, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I took a week off of work this week and I think I want to do some fishing tonight. I would hate to drive 45 min. to the Wateree dam to get skunked on bait again. Does anyone have any info on shad in the area? I will have some chicken livers with me just in case, but I would like to hear some reports of shad being caught around there.

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I dont know about up at the dam but there were alot of bigger shad several miles down river a week ago in deeper water.

3. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Finally found some shad. Went up to the dam and threw a few times and the last throw caught a gar which angered me greatly. Gars and cast nets do not mix. Anyway so I decide to go over to Buck Hill Landing which is on the lake side of the dam for those of you that don't know. It has been closed most of the summer, but it is now open and its pretty nice. Don't know what it used to look like, so can't really compare it. But there are a lot of lights so the lake around the ramp is fairly well lit. So I walk out there and throw the net and in comes 3 nice gizzard shad. I threw a few more times and got a few more so I am ready to fish.

Well apparently cut shad was not on the menu or the cat's were not hanging around that area. But at least I found a spot which has shad, for now.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I have read that shad are attracted to lights at night such as boat ramp lighting. If this is true hopefully I found a spot that they will always be hanging around at after sunset.