Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After tearing up the fish Friday night, we returned to try our luck again today. Unfortunately, a cold front is blowing through and it about shut the bite down. We caught 10 or so bream right quick. We commenced to catfishin' with the bream and fresh American shad. Caught a small blue pretty quick. A guy fishin' with me wanted to use a bream TAIL. I told him the head and/or gut pocket would be his best bet, but he insisted on the tail as he had caught a nice one on a tail last week. Anyhow, he tossed the tail over by the bank. Next thing you know, his line was movin'. He set the hook and much to my surprise, he landed a 2 pound 11 ounce largemouth bass! First bass I ever recall catchin' on cut bait, especially a tail! After that, the bite just knocked off completely, with the turtles skeletonizing our bait at each drop. I hate late spring/summertime daytime catfishin' due to the turtles which are most active during the day. We did see a muskrat and a bald eagle, and had a safe trip with nothing torn up, so it was a successful couple of hours on the very low Pee Dee.
Bill in SC

·
Registered
452 Posts
Bill once a friend of mine caught a bigmouth bass on turkey liver(we use turkey instead of chicken). We had been catching catfish all morning and we thought we had another one. It was almost three pounds. I had never seen anything like it. That day was when I learned that any fish will eat anything if you just hold your mouth right.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Speaking of musk rats: Do they have any affect on the cats in the same area? I honestly don't know, although I would think not. I'm asking because a place I like to go has a MR that sowed up later last season. I fished there a few times early and had good success, but then I couldn't get a thing. I'm probably just looking for an excuse, but the MR appearance did make me wonder.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Bill we have caught many bass out here on cut bait. Them fish get hungry and nothin will stop them. My daughters largemouth Pb was caught on cut bait, on a Carolina rig.....amost 7# I think it was. I thought that was pretty neat. Most of the cut bait bass caught were in the 5# range,,,there is a good number of them herring thieves here , LOL.

Good to see ya.......
-Jim-

·
Registered
604 Posts
Speaking of musk rats: Do they have any affect on the cats in the same area? I honestly don't know, although I would think not. I'm asking because a place I like to go has a MR that sowed up later last season. I fished there a few times early and had good success, but then I couldn't get a thing. I'm probably just looking for an excuse, but the MR appearance did make me wonder.
i see muskrats regularly at night where i fish and the fishing has still been great so i dont believe they have any negitive affect on the fish

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I've caught one of my biggest lm bass on a doughball while carp fishing! I've even caught lm on hotdogs!
I watched a lm bass pick up about a dozen dead blue gills one by one and carry them off into the deep (that was odd) and yes, I have commonly caught sm and lm bass on cutbait.... I think it's funny that bass guys like my dad spend hundreds and hundreds of $$$ on lures when all they really need is a 99 cent package of vanilla flavored doughballs! lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
I caught a carp the other day on a deep running rebel. Caught not snagged. I had a heck of a time getting that treble hook out of his mouth! :messed:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.