Odd thing I found at Spencer Lake

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by neocats, Feb 8, 2008.

1. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    An odd thing I found today(actually Wednesday), yet very curious. Everyone knows, or has an idea of, what a fish looks like after it been in a catfishes stomach for a little while. Partially digested. I found a bass at the edge that looked like it had been puked up after being partially digested. The skin was intact, but all white (color drained from it) and all the scales were gone. Eyeballs were gone and the fins were partially gone. Otherwise the fish was whole. The curious thing is what might have swallowed it. My best guess would be a catfish. That would lead me to believe that there is at least one big cat in Spencer because the bass weighed almost 5# when I weighed it today. How big of a fish would it take to swallow a 4-5# bass whole?

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im sure that it was a fish of decent to large size, by your explaining. however its hard to tell the size. i have caught 30 plus pound flatheads on 3 pound baits! If they think they can swallow it, they will try. im not saying it wasn't a fish of better quality, most likely it was, and possibly could be 50 or more pounds, but i have seen some pretty crazy stuff, so nothing would suprise me! I'm more suprised of such a large mid-winter meal! You wouldn't think they would be that ambitious right now:smile2: rollo

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    By the way, the lake is a great Channel cat lake, but I have never heard of anyone catching a flathead from there. Of course that doen't mean they are not there, just not caught to my knowledge.

4. catfishingham

catfishingham New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would guess maybe 20#. I fish Spencer, (Usually N-E dock),
    uaually with Bluegills Live & Cut. My personal best Channel is 13 #, I
    have seen larger.

Catfishingham

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    PROBLY TAKE A 25# FLAT TO SWALLOW IT

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im pretty sure it was a flathead. i can't think of anything else that would swallow a fish that size without it chewing it up like a muskie would! rollo

7. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have to agree with Jason that is a catfish and he is probably a 50+ lb. fish. And if you weigh the fish at 5lbs. partialy digested it was probably closer to 6lb. live. Do you have blues in that area?

8. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    No blues and no known flatheads in this lake. Spencer is one of our smaller lakes that is known for great Channel catfishing.

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i understand, but....fish do inhibit lakes, and just that they aren't stocked or known for them doesn't mean they haven't been dumped in there by someone else...... i will tell anyone right now!!! LOL.. a channel does not inhale a 5 pound fish! sorry! argue if you want!!! rollo:wink::smile2::eek:oooh:

10. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I talked to a guy out at Spencer one day, and he told me that he had spoken with whoever did the shock survey out there and that there were flatheads in Spencer. I have tried for them a little with no success though.

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I agree with you rollo that there must be a flathead in there by whatever means. It is highly probable there is a flathead population of sorts. I don't think too many people fish for them because they are targetting Channels.

12. catfishingham

catfishingham New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well I hopre to find out for sure,
    I plan to dunk a lot of Blugills there this year !!!:big_smile:

Dick

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That would be one impressive channel cat to eat something like that. Thanks for the interesting post.

14. catfishingham

catfishingham New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well I am hopeing this warm spell holds up, The Lock
    thaws, and we can get after that "Monster". :wink:

Catfishingham

15. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    probably a 30plus pound shovelhead got that bass. i have to agree with rollo on that rick

16. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    If it were a cat id say 20 lbs