Odd thing happened today

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I went to help my farmer friend get a load of soybeans in the silo. Before we went to do so, he decided that we needed to try and kill four hogs that got loose from him this summer. The hogs are in the swamp around a 60 or 80 acre pond. They have been wandering in the cow pasture, and in my friend's mom's back yard. They even recently charged my friend's brother in law. TLat night, they got out in one of the wheat fields I recently planted, and wreaked havoc on the field, rooting it up. Consequently, it's time to kill the hogs and we could use the meat anyhow. While stalking the hogs this morning on the edge of the swamp with a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs. I saw a squirrel in a tree up in front of me. Didn't think too much of it. A minute or so later I heard this crashing sound. I Figured I had jumped the hogs and they were running off. The noise stopped briefly. A second or two later, the squirrel came crashing down through the trees. He was stunned and I figured that he had fallen out of the tree. Upon looking up, I saw a large hawk sitting high in the tree. Apparently the hawk had caught the squirrel, but the squirrel must have gotten away from him. The squirrel laid there on the ground still stunned. Quickly he came to, but still addled, he ran right towards me and ran under a piece of tin that was lying in the woods. It was a fairly odd occurrence that I was blessed to have seen, nature in action. I assume that the squirrel made it as I didn't see any blood on him. We saw lots of fresh sign, but didn't see the hogs, but will resume the task tomorrow morning. I'm anxious to drop a few hogs and get some meat!

BB in SC

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Bet'cha a penny to a buck that brother hawk never got his talons into that squirrel (you ever see hawk talons up close?)! Most likely he hit the squirrel, but due to a last-minute evasive tactic Mr. squirrel was able to save his nuts :eek:oooh::crazy::smile2:

3. Kevin G

Kevin G New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've seen a squirrel run the same way and ended up crashing down from pine tree. My guess was that it had like a minor heart attack for all the excitement and then came to. Regardless its an interesting story, thanks for sharing.

4. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I'd took the easy shot, and shot the squirrel:big_smile:! Then if I couldn't have shot the pig, I'd shot the rest of the squirrels relatives! Muahahahahaha!!!!!:cool2:

5. Kevin G

Kevin G New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    lol. :smile2:

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Pop Pop - you gonna shoot a squirrel with a slug from a 12-gauge :crazy: Why not just hit it with your truck? I hear that's how Sunbird hunts for deer :smile2:

7. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I'd throwed down on him like he was the enemy and let'er rip!!! Most da meats in the back half anyway.:cool2:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  8. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I was going through the woods once and saw a squirrel going up a dead pine tree. As I got past the tree, I heard a lot of noise coming from the top of the tree. I looked up, and saw a hawk flying away, and the squirrel running down the tree. I just wished the hawk better luck next time.

9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    does the HC plan cover squirrels??