Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing on the Minnesota River yesterday in the New Ulm area and caught what I think is a carp of some sort. The thing is I have caught lots of carp in my day and have never seen anything like this one. The lips on this thing seem just huge, and does not look right. Let me know what you guys know about this fella. I am very interested. Thanks a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Maybe a River Carp Sucker? or a Black Buffalo

The Black Buffalo is extremely rare in our waters - if you catch one, release it immediately because it is endangered. They are darker in color than either the smallmouth or the bigmouth. This fish lives in the main channels of large rivers. It has a cylindrical body, just like a bigmouth buffalo, but the its mouth is angled downward at 45 degrees and has thick, suckerlike lips, unlike the thin lips and forward-pointing mouth of the bigmouth. Black buffalo may grow to be 80 pounds or larger, so if you find yourself fishing for black buffalo, be sure to bring plenty of backing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.