Odd Catches....

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Tangler, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    What is the strangest thing you have ever reeled in? I once pulled in a castnet with a fishing pole caught in it. I cleaned up the old abu reel and actually got it working again!

Or have you ever caught a very rare fish or a creature that no one could identify? Let us know about it!

Tang

2. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Reeled in a quantum baitcaster combo last year. Works just fine...

3. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i reeled in a zebco 33 and pole worked fine, strangest i ever caught was a water dog or mud puppy, just love catching things with legs:eek:oooh:

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I was fishing with S_man and caught a ultra light pole with reel that was probably rated for no more than 6 -10lbs line but it had to have had 20 lbs line on it LOL. The pole was broke so I threw that away but the reel works fine.

5. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I lived in Florida I was cast netting Pilchrid and I pulled up a 30 inch Snook.Whoops:eek:oooh:

6. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    Ive caught a couple 2-3 pound carp with my cast net. just hitting the right place at the right time. always throw those buggers back but its still exciting hearing the water splash when i put it on top of one!

7. nate161

nate161 New Member

State:
    ohio
    somehow i snagged a 2 foot dead water moccasin out at nimisila. :crazy:

8. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No water moccasin's in Ohio.

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i somehow hooked a can throught the tag once.i never thought a can full of water would be that heavy

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I once caught a boys fishing pole. He kept casting over my lines when I was bankfishing one day, I warned him and untangled our lines twice. The third time I locked er in, and set the hook out of frustration trying to simply break his line! Well, he must not of been prepared..:smile2: I took his pole and all right out of his hands and into the river. Needless to say, after I pulled his rig back to the bank and cut his line, he appologized and packed his things and left...:wink: rollo

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Northern Snakehead

Franklin Delanor Rooselvelt Park

Philadelphia, PA

6-10-06

12. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've caught several lost poles while fishing. Couple of ultralights, a Zebco One Classic combo, and the best... Probably 15 years ago, I was fishing off of a pier in Cedar Key, Florida with my new medium action Abu spinning rod with a Daiwa reel. Not a high dollar rig, maybe a $30 rod and a $30 reel I bought at the Wal-Mart nearby.

Anyway, I was catching baby drum and some baby stingrays, when I snagged something heavy. Trying to pull it in, I snapped the rod about 18" from the tip (like I said, not a high dollar rod). Finally, I got what I had snagged pulled up on the dock.... a nice 7ft Ocean City rod with a Penn 9M! :cool2:

Both looked brand new, not a speck of rust or corrosion on them anywhere. The reel was spooled of line though. I took the reel apart, rinsed it, and lubed it. Spooled it up with some new line, and caught a 10lb drum on it the next day, first time out. :smile2:

It was my lucky ocean combo for years, until someone stole it out of my uncle's Jeep.:eek:oooh:

I've caught several snakes, and a big old snapping turtle that maxed out a 50lb scale. It was HUGE. I've also caught a muskrat, a pelican, and a duck.

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Found a bobber floating went over to pick it up out of the water and there was about a 15# carp on the end of it.

14. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i have caught a blue herron it flew right in to my line and got all tangled up.

15. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    A big goose swam into my line and got hooked, he went straight to shore and then broke 20# mono-filament line.

16. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    I used to fish around St. Pete alot when I was young...Caught a few oddities...
    A rusted tin soup size can at Tierra Verde... Had a baby octupus in it !!! I kept that little buger for 2 years until a drunken buddy swallowed it on a dare from another drunken buddy !!!!
    1 large looked like a size 14 black boot off of the Sunshine Skyway...Thought I had a really nice flounder or ray in that current !!!
    The next one I wouldn't believe except it happened to me... I would drive to St. Pete every 4 or 8 weeks for the weekend to fish , stay with either my granma or my uncle, I'd fish so much sometimes I would'nt even see the one I wasn't staying with... Talking with my uncle one Wed. before I was heading down, he told me he had lost his shark rod out of a buddies boat 3 weeks before...Never said where exactly, just outside of John's Pass... That weekend I snagged some line on the backside of John's Pass and pulled it up !!!! Big stout rod with roller guides and a huge Penn reel !!! That was 30 years ago, about 15 years ago he moved back to Atlanta and gave it to me...It's one of my favorites in my collection of antiques, but I still carry it most every time I go to Florida...

17. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    Not many people fish the pond i do regularly anymore but it used to be a very popular place with a ropeswing and picnic tables set up and whatnot. I had to wade out up to about my chest one time last year to retrieve my castnet that got caught on a big tree limb. Ended up being easier to just drag the limb in and deal with the tangles and when i did, I found about a dozen different hooks, spinnerbaits, spoons, and other riggings that other anglers left behind for me. Needless to say everything went right into the old tackle box! I still have several of the items pulled off that old limb. :wink:

Tang