Odd catch.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kat in the hat, Jun 12, 2007.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A buddy of mine called this morning with an odd catfish tale. He had been running lines at Longbranch lake this weekend. I was supposed to join him Sunday night after I got off work, but there was a bad storm come through Saturday night, and he and his family had to abort the mission, so I didn't get to go. Anyway, he said that when he went to retrieve his lines, the last hook had a 63# flathead on it. There was a 3# channelcat hooked on the line that ate a goldfish, and the flathead tried to eat the channelcat, and in doing so, it got the fins lodged in it's gullet, and that is what held the fish on. He says he has pics, and if I get them soon, I will post them here. Just thought it was kind of a strange story to share.

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Sounds like a pretty crazy day Those pics would be very cool

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Them fish are pigs. lol

Does not surprise me at all.

4. silsbyj

silsbyj New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I been in a similar situation. We caught a 3# flat on our line one time and decided to leave it and see if it would catch anything. Came back the next morning to find a 36# flat on the hook. Thats why I like fishing for these big cats....you never know what they are going to do. Thanks for the story and I cant wait to see those pics!!

5. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    i had that happen on a limb line. the first fish was a 7lb blue the one that ate him was a 72lb flathead. it was in a small creek off the arkansas river.

6. TarRiverRat

TarRiverRat New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i am new to this forum...but not new to fishin!!! this has happened to me also, but not on that big of a scale! pics would be awesome!

7. pappacrappie

pappacrappie New Member

State:
    big sandy,tennessee
    i have heard simular stories from the commercial fisherman in the area...pretty wild...

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome b-hill to the boc ,

cant wait for the pics matt , thanks in advance

9. TarRiverRat

TarRiverRat New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thankx charles! figured i join since i caught the fever after this Monday! can't wait to post some pics of my catch!

10. SDHogs

SDHogs New Member

State:
    SE tip of South Dakota
    I gotta see a pic of that! :eek:oooh:

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have heard of this before also. It is quite common when trot or limblining. The smaller cat struggling on the hook draws in the flatheads. Everyone should take note of this because the first RULE of big flathead fishing is. " Any size bait that you can cast out and keep control of of can be eaten by a 35+ pound flathead". I once caught a 25lb flat on a 4lb drum. I was out of bait, stuck on the river so I tossed a worm over the side and thats what hit. I looked at it and thought nothing can eat that giant thing LOL. But I put him on and managed to toss him about 20 ft behind the boat. twenty or thirty minutes later that 25 hit him. A 20lb range fish is alot smaller than a 30lb range fish. But he had no trouble at all. So just take that into account before you discard a baitfish cause you think it's too big. All you are doing is using it to keep the little ones away while waiting on the BEAST lol.