Octopus vs. Octopus circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by bluecatnut, Feb 2, 2006.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    what is the difference between octopus vs. octopus circle hooks. and which one do u like better. thanks y'all

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    The hook point is turned in on the circle and the other is like a standard hook point.

I like the circle hooks ones myself, they just seem to have a better hookup rate.

3. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    so ur say u have to set the hook with the octopus hook

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The term octopus simply means the eye is bent back instead of straight. If the eye is straight in line with the the shank it is an O'Shaugnessy style hook if it is bent it is an Octopus style hook. With any J-hook you must set the hook, with a circle hook you don't.

5. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I just couldn't think of the right words to say that, thanks Griz.

Ray

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    If I'm not mistaken the Octopus hook is different from the O'Shaugnessy because of the shank lenght is shorter and the gap difference also.

7. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I got my information from a study on the hookup ratio between the 3 styles, octopus, circle, and o'shaugnessy. there maybe other differences but that was all that was mentioned in the study.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i never did understand the whole "octopus" hooks with the bent eye, are they meant for snelling?

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The octy works best snelled. Also, circles do less damage to the fish than octy's, but they do less than J hooks. Some circles have a turned eye, in fact, most of the ones I use do.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I snell octopus hooks, I'm not sure if thats why they make em with the up turned eye , but it lends itself to that quite well. I don't use circle hooks, I wanna set the hook.
    The oshaunessy hooks have longer shanks and standard eye.
    Octopus shorter shank, up-turned eye, and the point is off-set to the side of the shank. I think that slight curve is the main reason why they call them octopus.

11. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    how do y'all snell a hook

12. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's a way you tie your line around yout hook.
    It seems hard to do but after you practice enough you'll get it down,
    I just figured it out last month with drawing's off the web. Just type in (How
    to tye a snell knot) and you'll pick it up.

13. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    My question would be, if the ones with the bent eye work better snelled whats the point in getting one with a bent eye? why not just get one without the bend?

14. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The guys who are snelling the hooks swear by it...

Griz is that study online anywhere... sounds interesting. I'd love to hear more about that.

Shawn

15. Catcatcher26726

Catcatcher26726 New Member

State:
    wv
    I like the octopus circle because they lay flat after tying ur wrap.

16. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    In response to the original question, I like different hooks depending on the type of fish or bait I am fishing for or using. If I go for flatheads when using live bait, I like to use the regular octopus hook, since, when you set it, it gives it some force to squish down any bait that might have gotten in the way of the barb or point, and it can be pulled through the bait sometimes. For most other things though, I use the octopus circle because it gives me time to get to the rod. When I am using regulars, I put my clicker on though, because I dont have much luck with the regular octies setting themselves, even if they are really sharp.

17. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    I have another questin for you fellas. I am planning on buyig some of the Gamakatsu Octopus hooks, im gonna buy some cirlces and the regulars aswell. My question is that they have the circles the regulars the point straight up and they also have one that points toward the eye. So for all of you that use the regular hooks which one do you prefer and do you set the hook the same way with both? I might be seeing things but i do think there are two differnt types.

Attached Files:

18. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Go to CATFISH DISCUSSION, select General Catfishing, scroll down to a post titled "Knots": on page 2 is a reply by DRC which has the web address of an excellent knot tying site. Hope this helps.

19. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    On the circle hooks, you do not set the hooks and you wait for the rod to load up and pick the rod up and slowly pull the rod back and start reeling. On the octopus hooks you set them. I personally like the octopus hooks because I have lost several big fish because I could not set the hook. Some people swear by them. I just like being able to pull the hook through the bait and in to there mouth. If your going to try both. Make sure you use either all circles or all octopus because you will get excited and forget which rod is which and maybe lose a bigun