Octopus vs circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Scott Daw, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Whats the difference other then a turned eye? which is better for bank fishing?

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    If you use clickers then I would go with the octopus hooks, but if you don't use clickers then circles are the way to go. If you're using circles, try your best to not grab the rod until it looks like it's about to break or pull your rod holder over. That's about the only advice that I can give you.

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Scott,

Just give both a run for their money....You should have a gut feeling as to which hook you like best, go with it.....If you have two rigs, fish one on each pole with the same bait and see what happens....But like fatflattie pointed out....Fish each hook like it's design reccomends.....Dwight

4. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    in the attached picture the hook on the left is a 5/0 gammie octopus and the hook on the left is a 5/0 octopus circle hook. notice that the circle hook's point is rolled in and the other one isn't? also the circle hook is non offset to reduce the chance of gut hooking a fish and the octopus hook is offset to make it easy to bait it.

fatflattie is right but let me add this if you are fishing long range(over 100 yds) you're better off using circle hooks because you cannot generate enough force for a hooksetat that distance. octopus hooks work great for close combat and active fishing ie; holding the rod whereas circles are great for passive fishing (rod in rodholders) and/or catch and release. hope this helps

Attached Files:

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    2 things i would like to comment on.if you are fishing long distance from your rod or using a cat bobber u need to use a braided line.the braid will float and not drag your bobber back toward you and it wont stretch so u get a better hook up.using a bobber i recomend using gamma circles in 8/0 size because the fish will set the hook just pulling it under.all you have to do is start reeling.

6. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great question...Thanks, I learned a tip here on this one...

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    the only dif. i can see is in the point.the octopus has a strait point and has a wider gap so u can use bigger baits.the circle has a turned in point so when the fish takes the bait and starts to pull away the hook has less tendices to hook in the gills or guts.it will pull into the corner of the mouth and once there it hardly ever comes out.octopus you can rare back and cross their eyes.circle hook let the fish set the hook or no more than a slow hard sweep of the rod.the turned up eye is for keeping the hook strait when you tie a snell on the hook.