Octopus Pulled from Catfishermen out of Ohio River

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by DeerHunter01, Aug 9, 2006.

1. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    David Stepp was fishing for catfish with friends on the Ohio River Monday night when he reeled in a bizarre catch — an octopus.

It was dead, but only recently.

Recognizing that nobody would ever believe he had actually caught the creature, the 20-year-old Jeffersonville man loaded it into the trunk of his car and showed it minutes later to a Clarksville police officer and Bill Putt, a park ranger at the Falls of the Ohio State Park.

Putt snapped photos, and Stepp and his surprised companions posed with the purplish-brown animal, which measured six feet from the tip of one tentacle to the other.

It was three and half feet tall when dangled like mop above the ground.

“It was really pretty big,” said Putt, who later deposited the octopus in a park freezer, figuring a marine biologist might want to examine it.

Although he’s seen more than his share of exotic animals turn up at the Southern Indiana park across from downtown Louisville, Putt said he was extremely skeptical when a fellow angler said that someone had caught an octopus below the dam.

“I thought, ‘This guy’s got to be drunk,’ ” Putt said. But “we looked at it and that’s what it was.”

The octopus might take the prize for weird discoveries at the falls, where park crews and visitors have found crocodiles and piranha-like tropical fish over the years — animals probably kept as pets and released by owners into the river and onto river banks.

Octopods are highly intelligent as invertebrates go, according to an article on the National Wildlife Foundation’s Web site.

They are sometimes kept as pets and surprise their owners by escaping from seemingly secure tanks “due to their intelligence and problem-solving skills,” the entry said.

Because they live in salt water oceans, they don’t survive long in fresh water such as the Ohio River, Putt said.

It’s not illegal to own the animals, but releasing it into the wild is, said Mark Farmer, a spokesman for the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.

“Who’s to say somebody didn’t toss it into the river?” Farmer said. “I found out a long time ago, you never know what’s going to turn up.”

Here is a picture of the Ohio River Octopus, now what do we name it Octopus kitty Kat ! Winston told me that ! LOL

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    The Things people dump into our waters. I bet that guy studied that thing over and over to make sure he wasn't going crazy hehehe...

Local Bait shop here had a 5-6# piranha on ice that somebody caught in Lake Springfield ... I've heard of two others being caught out there....

3. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    wow thanks fore sharing that story dh

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I think it was loking for relatives. It heard of all the catfisherman using octopus hooks. lol Someone is probably missing their pet. I would have been tempted to use some of it for bait. They worked good in the South china sea.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO DH, I think you put it there. hehehe

6. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    That is toooooo weird!!!!

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats just crazy.Think I'll go down to the river and try for one later on...

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    It's a good thing our buddy Brent didn't catch it.
    What with his recent flathead sighting, if he had claimed to have caught an octopus they would be taking him away in a straight jacket...W

9. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Thats a wried catch but I'm not supprised, quite a few years back there was a 5' alligator caught in the Ohio river at Greenup, Ky. There are some dumb people in this world who buy all sorts of things for pets on whims not even thinking about how big they really get when grown up.

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I bet it would be good bait:big_smile:

11. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I think you're right!

12. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Oh man, I just got this in from the local news here they caught the guy that got the Octopus, he is not right at all, here is a file photo copy of him..

Look At this Photo !! It explains it all

13. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Thats crazy when I went to sea world they were telling us about how far north some of the sharks have gone up in the river systems and it was surprising.

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    see my first thought wouldn't be taking it to the police or dnr... thats a buttload of bait right there... of course take pictures to prove it but still

15. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thats weird but thanks for sharing DH

16. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yep take some pics and on the hook it would go. How can you pass up using that for bait! Can you imagine if you caught a biggun and tried to explain what you got it on! lol

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That would be alot of cut bait, wonder if the cats would have liked it?

18. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    That would be weird catching that....Thats something you would not expect to catch

19. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats some event... I would diffenatly had to have taken a double take on that one.....

20. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    There WAs A Bull Shark Caught In Lake Okeechobee Here Recently, Don't Quote Me On The Size But I Think It Was Around 5 Or 6'