Octopus hooks

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Dadoftwo, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have started using Gamu Circle Octos and have had some nice fish on but can't get them to the bank. The hook set is not cooperating with me. I have read posts saying they hook themselves but it doesn't seem to be working for me. I have had better luck with them in running water but have still missed some. In still water I can't seem to get a hookup at all. Do I set the hook after they run with it and have a slight hook setting? I need some help with this. It is getting a little discouraging knowing I am in the bigger fish but can't get them to the bank. Any suggestions? I have been using #10's.

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Berry.They say NOT to set the Hook with circle hooks.You let the Rod Load up and then start reeling in, as the purpose of circle hooks is to let the fish hook themselves.If You try and set the hook yourself you will end up pulling loose and not get the hook up. I think I'm telling You Right,If Not someone will correct Me.Good Luck. J.D.
    :0a26::byebye:

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    With circles you let the rod bend down so hard you think it's gonna break before you start to reel in...Do not Jerk.

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    plenty of hook point exposed, hook bait just enough to keep it on the hook.

5. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    LoL, Berry i have the same problem I'm just now getting use to using the circle hooks, Berry this is gonna sound weird but to get use to them buy the smallest octo hooks you can get and bait fish with them, lets you get use to them, I mean you cannot do any type of jerking movements when fishign with circle or octo hooks, because you'll bring the bait out of the fishes mouth. But try the bait fishing and you'll get use to it.

6. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I think that another important factor is hook sharpness. Even more so with a circle hook. If you are pulling them to the bank and then they are getting off maybe that hook did not penatrate enough. Keep a hook sharpener with you and keep it razor sharp. This may be part of what you are experiencing. Even fresh out of the package try putting a little more on it.

7. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    i used to have the same problem,, but i resolved it 100%

8. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    if he's using gamo octopus hooks, i highly doubt that sharpness would be the issue, unless he's been using the very same hook for a month straight. lol. those hooks r sooooo sharp out of the package it's incredible. i think the problem would be setting the hook on them, i just let the rod load up, and then start reeling. It has actually improved my hook up percentage. especially on flatheads, cuz they like to run w/ the bait, so it just loads up the rod, and bam. the advice to use small circle hooks for baitfishing is great. i've switched to using them for all my baitfishing, it just works so much better than a normal hook, once u've practiced it.

9. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

I AGREE W/ EVERYBODYS REPLY DONT SET THE HOOK AT ALL GAMUs WILL PIERCE THROUGH TITANIUM JAWED CATS IF DONE RIGHT. MY SUGGESTION WOULD BE TAKE A 5 GAL. BUCKETT RIG UP A CIRCLE HOOK(ALWAYS SNELL CIRCLES) AND DROP THE HOOK IN THE BUCKETTPULL LINE PARALLEL TO TOP OF BUCKETT. IT WILL HOOK RIM OF BUCKETT EVERY TIME IF PULLED SLOW IF JERKED IT WILL JUMP RIGHT OUT. EXPIREMENT AND LET ME NO HOW IT GOES

10. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    The Gamu's I have were sharp out of the package but I have sharpened them to the point that they will stick you just by looking at them.:smile2: I have had some fish scream the real on the clicker and still I could not land them. I appreciate the input everyone has given. I will definatelyl try baitfishing with them first and go from there.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have fished many brands.. i think the biggest thing i have seen is the action of the rod, length and angle each person holds it ,while the fish is loading.. like said earlier, you can't present the hookset, you let them do so.. i have found if you think you have a hook up, and don't... you haven't felt him long enough... after using circles for a while you will adjust... esp. flats..they will stay with a bait usually don't act early..let them ,load up! ...i do still use clicker with flats!! same process, just different principle than channels..rollo

12. maximumflash

maximumflash New Member

State:
    Fort Belvoir, VA
    I have used the circle hooks. And like everyone else, I let them run with it for a bit loading up the rod. But here is where I differ..... when I do grab my pole, I give it a good jerk.... not too hard.... but good enough to make sure the hook is set. Then I real them in.

This may not be the best answer......... but it works for me.

13. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ok do you guys just free wheel the reel with the clicker on, let him run then then set the reel? Or leave the reel enguaged with a light drag set. Then when he runs increace the drag.

14. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Most folks go to a larger size circle, than they do a J hook. After I've had him pull back for a while, I'll pump the rod a time or two like those saltwater boys do on tv. I don't know if it helps, but it makes me feel better.

15. maximumflash

maximumflash New Member

State:
    Fort Belvoir, VA
    I leave my reels engaged with the drag set to fight the fish. I just watch the cats start to grab the line and the pole starting to bend. Once the pole is doubled way over, I give it a jerk to make sure the hook is set.

16. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I've used circle hooks and have the same problem. About a month ago I started using Matzauo Wide Gap Sickle hooks. I love them, they seem to work like circles but you can set the hook. I have caught alot of Flatties on them and all were hooked in the corner of the mouth.
    Chip

17. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I just free spool until the fish starts running and then just start the reeling in when the spool engages it's enough for the fish to hook itself, then the fights on.

18. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    I agree.
    I lost something huge 2 nights ago because I hooked through the eyes of a shad with a #4 circle hook. :0a9: I needed at least a #6 or #8 to get enough barb exposed.
    I was experimenting and it didn't pay off.
    Mental note to self........Quit experimenting. :smile2:

19. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have been using octo circles on my set lines for awile now and love them, but on rod-n-reel I hate them I have a bad habbit of setting the hook. I lost at least 3 fish this past weekend at the classic because of it

20. WV CatFisherman

WV CatFisherman New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Since you are discussing hooks, I thought I would chip in withn my leader line. I have used wire leaders, but they become bent, and difficult to work with.

I purtchased 300 of Calcutta yellow braided 80 lb line, and not using it all, I decided it would work for leader line.

I usually us 50 to 65 braid, so the 80 lb braid was an upgrade. I began using it, in the last month, and am really satisfired with it.

It ties easy, and doesn't bend or kink up. I usually use between 8" to 12" of it, and have never lost anything because of it. Best of all, if you have some around, but not enough to spool on,it is free. Otherwise, it is about $15 for a spool of it (braided, yellow, Calcutta line)

Let me know what you think about using this for leader line.

Just a thought, it has worked for me :wink:

Until then WVCatfisherman@g-mail .com